Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Medicines and pregnancy

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2004, 10:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Medicines and pregnancy

Wife gets bitten by mozzies every now and then and suffers badly (5 itchy bites last night). Anti-histamine cream doesn't work much, but Boots Allergy relief pills seem to be fantastic. They are Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg, it says.

Problem is, they say "don't use if pregnant", and we don't know if/when she might be.

Can any of the docs here advise how serious the "don't use" advice is - is it to cover themselves for a one in a million chance, or is it very serious advice to be heeded? Does it only apply after a certain number of weeks/mths of pregnancy?

Many thanks

Brendan
Old 13 September 2004, 10:32 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

close the windows.

Dr BB
Old 13 September 2004, 10:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't use it.

http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail....ne&TradeId=867
Old 13 September 2004, 10:43 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wifey is a nurse and reckons that any drugs that are going to do damage will do most damage during the first three months. When we were trying, she wouldn't even take painkillers for a headache..... (took us feking years to get round that one )
Old 13 September 2004, 10:44 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

why not try a cream like Eurax its really effective for things like bites. Think thats better than taking any tablets its best to avoid taking anything if she can really help it.

cath
Old 13 September 2004, 11:19 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Do not use it unless you want to harm the developing foetus...could go right across the placenta to your furture baby and cause major developmental problems. Go to the GP and see what they can advise. Have you tried 'Witch Hazel' Gel? Just and idea it helps with irritated skin.
Old 14 September 2004, 12:59 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

how about:

Boots Click It Bite Relief

or

Zanza-click

no chemicals involved - just a small electrical pulse to numb the area and take away the urge to scratch - same kind of feeling as when you used to play with the piezo-electric gizmo bit out of a smashed up *** lighter as a kid

disclaimer: see instructions as there's something about pacemaker users AFAIR
Old 14 September 2004, 08:23 AM
kend
Scooby Regular

There is no evidence of problems with chlorphenamine (or most other antihistamines) in pregnancy, but manufacturers of most antihistamines ( and most other meds) advise avoiding in pregnancy.
By and large advice in pregnancy is to avoid taking anything at all unless essential, paracetamol is safe, as are some antibiotics ( especially penicillins). It is though extremely unlikely that the occasional use of chlorphenamine would do any harm, especially after 1st 12 weeks of pregnancy
Old 14 September 2004, 08:42 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think BeemerBoy is on the right track. I would also recommend non-chemical options such as fitting fly-screens to your windows or sleeping under a mosquito net. Had decent "Hamstra" screens fitted on our windows and doors before the summer and have had no such problems this year. Wasn't cheap though.

Suresh
Old 14 September 2004, 06:47 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Many thanks all.

Sounds like we should avoid it then.

Piezo-thingy we had last year; a laugh (son took it to school to mess about with his friends), but didn't really seem to do much.

Windows were closed, but she likes some fresh air while she sleeps. We're about to order new windows, and will indeed get new mozzie nets with them, but that's two months away.

Dunno about witch-hazel cream, but we have tiger balm, and ISTR that's not so bad. We've dug it out.

My son also found that holding it under a hot tap seemed to cure his bites, but that's not easy when it's on, say, your back.

Other suggestions gratefully received!
Old 14 September 2004, 07:11 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

I use tea tree oil on most things now, bites, stings spots, cuts, grazes etc....
Having a boy, he`s 9 now, I never go out without a bottle in my bag (I mean the Tea Tree Oil )

http://www.teatreeplace.com/

Have a read and see what you think.

Joan.
Old 14 September 2004, 08:24 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kend
paracetamol is safe
Didnt realise that. Just checked the notice of a box of Doliprane and it says "can be used in case of pregnancy and breast feeding if used normally". Could you briefly explain why that is so?