Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drivers may be responsible if child hit.

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2004, 01:09 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Drivers may be responsible if child hit.

Have done a search but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

In the papers is a suggestion that the law will be revised to make a driver absolutely responsible if involved in an accident with a child pedestrian.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/pri...259948,00.html

Irrespective of whether the child runs into the road unannounced. Mitigation like driving below the speed limit will not matter. The driver (or his insurance company) must pay compensation, and the driver will lose his no claims even if accepted to be blameless.

Apparently this bring us into line with some other European countries, e.g. Holland.

I think this is mad. Why not set up a fund to cover such incidents from the insurance pool, rather than penalising individuals. Surely that's the point of insurance?

Discuss.
Old 14 September 2004, 01:13 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm, I can see a lot of 'traveller's' kids diving in front of cars
Old 14 September 2004, 01:19 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

One of the many reasons why I voted for the UK Independance Party, nuff said.
Old 14 September 2004, 01:27 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Why not change the law to make sense, like add more crossings and if you are in the road and not on a crossing a get hit, you pay for the damage on the car, if its a child, sting the parents.
Old 14 September 2004, 01:29 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Another ridiculous suggestion.

Nicola Christie, senior researcher in public health at Surrey University and the lead author of the study, said: “While it goes against the grain to assume guilt unless it is proven, this law could help to reduce deaths and injuries because drivers would be more careful.”
In much the same way as scameras have saved lives, eh? Presumption of innocence is fine as long as it's nto a motoring offence, eh?!

It's gonna get to the stage where every person who drives will be required by law to recite "Cars are evil, drivers are evil" 100 times every morning.
Old 14 September 2004, 01:34 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

every person who drives will be required by law to recite "Cars are evil, drivers are evil" 100 times every morning.
And there will be an electronic device to count each chant, with stiff fines for those who fail to comply. The Politically Correct loonies are poised to take over the asylum..... be afraid.

UB
Old 14 September 2004, 01:43 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You would think the government, if they are genuinely interested in producing and keeping alive as many kids as possible, would be more interested in making sure that those same kids turn into tax paying adults rather than dole bludging chavs but there we go... wacky anti driver laws will do instead...
Old 14 September 2004, 01:46 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

What if one drops off a bridge on to your car
Old 14 September 2004, 01:50 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

In the Dutch example:

The Dutch Supreme Court ruled that children under 14 could not be expected to observe traffic rules and ordered the driver to pay all the damages and costs.
So if a child under 14 cannot be expected to observe traffic rules why the hell are they allowed on the road??? Why weren't the parents responsible for allowing the kid on the road????

Align with Europe my ****.
Old 14 September 2004, 02:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
So if a child under 14 cannot be expected to observe traffic rules why the hell are they allowed on the road??? Why weren't the parents responsible for allowing the kid on the road????
And yet they can ride a push bike on the road?? Oh and give them another 2 years and they suddenly know it all because they can then ride a scooter!!

I remember the same thing being banded around for accidents involving cyclists a couple of years back, not sure what happened to that.
Old 14 September 2004, 02:09 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Jeesus, that means once you hit the pedestrian, you have to "whack" any witnesses as well
Old 14 September 2004, 02:34 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Jeesus, that means once you hit the pedestrian, you have to "whack" any witnesses as well
LOL

Not sure how old you need to be in the UK to drive a scooter, but in France you can get a 50cc from the age of 14. And they expect you to know the rules!
Old 14 September 2004, 02:41 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I thought the only rule in France was "there are no rules" (in Paris anyway)

UB
Old 14 September 2004, 03:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Just more lunacy from Lying Loony Labour.

Let's just hope that ALL drivers remember this sort of ****e round the time of the next election....................

Alcazar
Old 14 September 2004, 03:51 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

anyone who voted these tossers in, thanks a f*cking bunch
Old 14 September 2004, 04:05 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Unhappy

From the link:

"The Department for Transport commissioned a group of academics to study road safety policy in other European countries and identify any measures that might save children’s lives. "

I see no reference to it becoming Labour policy

The closest I see it: A DfT spokesman said: “We will consider this, but it would require quite a radical shift in the law.”
Hardly remotely likely to become policy.

Being among the highest numbers of child pedestrian deaths in Europe the UK should feel duty bound to search out what other countries are doing.

Whilst I do not agree with the reports recommendations that car drivers are automatically at fault, it seems to be bandwagon jumping to assume it will be labour policy come the next election.

Having not read the report, I'd say it was just one proposal to the problem, and that there would be other recommendations in it that are not as unfair to drivers such as this one.

But for the purposes of journalism these are not included due to lack of dramatic abhorrence.

Would you rather there was no report on lowering child deaths due to car accidents?
Old 14 September 2004, 06:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Surely the answer is what used to be done years ago, and that is education. I don't remember having seen any kind of code being taught to children for years. It just seems to be easier to let them do what they want without any guidance these days, and look where that is getting us!

Half the time their parents set a seriously bad example anyway and just jaywalk all over the place expecting car drivers to miss them while they step onto the road without even bothering to look out first.

Car drivers have enough to cope with in towns with poor roads, multifarious signs badly sited all over the place, obstructions to be negotiated, without having to be responsible for an accident caused by a child running into the road without warning. I'm really impressed with the women who push their child in a wheelchair onto a road in front of them without looking for traffic first. Why should we have to second guess these idiots and then be held responsible for any accident they cause.

If anyone hits a child through their own fault then they deserve what they get, but this idea is well beyond the pale.

Put the responsibility where it belongs, at the feet of the parents.

Les
Old 14 September 2004, 06:33 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

As appalling as 79 children killed is for those involved, that doesn't seem like a very high number to me. And what about the country that doesn't have these laws that came in 3rd best in least number of children killed. Why don't we emulate them?
Old 14 September 2004, 10:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

When my cousin hit a young teenager who ran out between cars and head butted the windscreen and A-pillar of the car he was driving, he was crapping himself that he would be implicated in some way (as well as the shock, distress, etc). Even though there was nothing he could have done.

So, potentially, if this proposal ever came to being, he would be locked up, labelled as the scum of society and the cause of all of the UK's problems??

Ridiculous, if anyone deserves to be run over it's nutcases who think this up. No, actually it would be far more ironic if they ran over a kid whilst driving and got implicated by their own law I'd love to know what "herbs" they smoke....could do with some of that myself to take me away from the woes of the real world
Old 14 September 2004, 10:25 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
And what about the country that doesn't have these laws that came in 3rd best in least number of children killed. Why don't we emulate them?
I expect if they looked properly they would see that the top 3 countries have kids who are better disciplined, better educated about road safety and who have parents who take responsibility to make sure they are. This, however, wouldn't fit into Blair's nanny society where people who can't pay fines and taxes, e.g. children, are deemed to be unable to take responsibility for their own actions and therefore liability must fall on those who can pay.

What sort of a message does this send out to kids? It says "don't you worry about road safety, do what you like it will be the motorist's fault". By taking the emphasis off education in road safety they will end up killing MORE kids.... my satisfaction as their plan crashes and burns will come at a very high price.
Old 14 September 2004, 10:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As my mind wanders into the stupidty of the Blair state....just think of the amount of taxpayers money that is wasted in investigating (??!!!?? more like spent nattering with their work collegues and playing solitaire) all of this and comming forward with this illogical proposal that has no hint of common sense.

And then think of what use that money would have been if it were used to create road safety campaigns in schools and on TV (like what they did when I was at school in the 80's).

Back in the 80's "Charlie" was a badly animated cat that had more road sense than the moggies round where I live....to the post '90's generations it's an old-school Prodigy classic
Old 14 September 2004, 11:48 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
to the post '90's generations it's an old-school Prodigy classic
Bloody good one though. But I share the sentiments.

My brother got done when someone ran into the side of his car. He didn't run in to them. They ran into him He still got done. Even though he hadn't done anything wrong. :smacks head: Duh! being a motorist is enough now adays.
Old 15 September 2004, 01:15 AM
spufus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Back in the 80's "Charlie" was a badly animated cat that had more road sense than the moggies round where I live....to the post '90's generations it's an old-school Prodigy classic
That was also when "common sense" was actually common!