Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another fitness question - I need some serious advice...

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2004, 03:50 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for a run you lazy ****

Or you could cycle to work ( )and stop eating cr@p

HTH
Old 22 September 2004, 03:51 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Similar position myself although Im only 24 with a 34inch waist... Ive cut out bags of crisps and biscuits etc.... eating alot more healthier i.e fruit etc but doesnt mean I wont have a pizza or chinese once a week not too bothered what goes in aslong as I thinkIm doing enough to burn it off so I go to football on sunday mornings and that doesnt half help atm. cycling to work twice a week and wouldnt mind upping it only downside where I am I cant go out for lunch without the car so 2 or 3 times is enough plus it means I'll pack a decent lunch for myself. also going for a run, the 100 yd thing I was the same about 4 months ago, so what u did 100yds, it took u what 1 minute at the most, so what do u do next, go out next day and do 200 yds within a week you'll be doing 3 miles no worries only thing with running is controlling your breathing, drink water, but your ankles will still hurt. cycling helps me much better..

Good luck, its stopped my belly growing atm and Im at a steady weight which Im happy with as long as I dont get fatter, misses even commented yesterday she thought I was losing the belly but the scales say otherwise
Old 22 September 2004, 03:54 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Exercise is the first nut to crack before diet IMHO
Old 22 September 2004, 03:54 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

meant to add cycling is 3.5miles each way for me with a big **** off hill at the end of each journey so does me some good, suppose its pointless if your only going 1 mile
Old 22 September 2004, 04:08 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

If you do a job that involves sitting down all day then it would certainly benefit you doing some walking/running/cycling etc.
My job is office based but I work at a large company and some days do a lot of running around up/down stairs etc. I try to go to the gym about 3-4 times a week for 1-1.5hr sessions. I only do weights here as I like to think that the CV part is done at work!
It varys, some weeks I go once, others I go 4 times. Also your diet is important. I used to eat sh1te most days. In the last yr I have cut out chocolate, cakes etc. Rarely eat this kind of stuff now. I still eat cobs at lunch for work - usually filled with tuna or coleslaw.
Best thing to do about junk food is to not have it in the house in the first place. When I moved away from my parents I left that behind! I still eat the odd curry/pizza though I've recently turned to fruit. Never touched it for years but I now have a banana/apple most days.
I'm 32 btw

Nick

PS my diet is far from perfect but is a step in the right direction as far as you're concerned!

PPS Getting your end away is a good way of exercising - only if you last longer than 2 mins though

Last edited by skoobidude; 22 September 2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 22 September 2004, 04:12 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Where's milo these days? I haven't seen the word ketosis for ages!

Trending Topics

Old 22 September 2004, 04:16 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

PPS Getting your end away is a good way of exercising - only if you last longer than 2 mins though
Tw@t, it was going so well up until then
Old 22 September 2004, 04:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol... aye its funny though you'd think Im skinny but in actual fact just cause its a 34inch waist I dont have carry a belly. seariously, even got stretch marks to prove it...lol
Old 22 September 2004, 04:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by davegtt
what u did 100yds, it took u what 1 minute at the most, so what do u do next, go out next day and do 200 yds within a week you'll be doing 3 miles no worries

only thing with running is controlling your breathing, drink water, but your ankles will still hurt.

I think dave's advice is sound overall, but the details need a little polishing...
Old 22 September 2004, 04:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I find running alot more tiring than cycling, alot of flat surfaces u roll half the way rather than cycle and use your legs, running is more beneficial IMO unless ur gonna tackle hills etc on the bike....

Brendan, glad you think my advice is good enough, what needed polishing though? not sure myself
Old 22 September 2004, 04:37 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Seriously, I'd suggest you might want to suggest an hour's walk each night for the first week. Find a nice scenic route, whether window shopping along the High Street or admiring the millionaires' houses in the suburbs, and perhaps borrow a neighbour's dog. Go after dinner if you can to let the meal settle before going to bed. Once you're sure your legs and chest can handle that, maybe then set them to cycle, or run for five or ten minutes. I don't know if I'm being overcautious, but chest pains at 31 sound dodgy, and I suspect logiclee will be along soon to back me up.
Old 22 September 2004, 04:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ahhh OK, I follow that and I suppose thats good advice if your getting pains starting with walking etc rather than pushing the running thing. could also try swimming, Ive heard its a superb way of burning calories etc, although I always found myself to be starving after a good swim
Old 22 September 2004, 04:41 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Skipping. You'll burn as many calories as almost any other activity. Boxers have known this for years. Forget the looking poncy barrier - give it a go.

As for the sugar addiction, sorry, but willpower has to be the way. Or maybe something oddball like hypnosis?
Old 22 September 2004, 04:42 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Swimming.
Good aerobic exercise with no stress on overloaded joints.
Swimming is all about being smooth in the water not just thrashing about so count the number of strokes per length and the number of lengths you swim and try to reduce the first number and increase the second number.
And when you've got that sorted get yourself out for a run!
R
Old 22 September 2004, 04:47 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Bob

I found that a 40 minute to 1 hour hard walk each night (after your little binge ) will do you the power of good. I used to walk the dog like this a while ago (she's too old now). You will lose weight and feel fitter. I found that once i got to a point, i was practically jogging for the 40 minutes.

Its a lot less impact on those un-tuned joints you have

The key is to keep it up. Sadly now the dog is way too old to walk even 100yds, i've piled it all back on again and left back at square one
Old 22 September 2004, 04:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Dave, we cross-posted; I was just puzzled at how you went from 200 yds to 3 miles within one week, and I couldn't understand the juxtaposition of controlling breathing, drinking water and ankles hurting!

Swimming's great but not after a meal that was eaten at 8pm surely?

I go through "fitness" bouts every now and then, and wake up, roll out of bed, and do 20 press ups and sit-ups (leg-lifts) before getting in the shower. Then 30 next week, then 40, then 50. Then I give up for a few months and go back to 20 again . Compared to some on here it's laughable, but it's gotta be better than nothing.
Old 22 September 2004, 04:54 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things first, I can't afford to join a gym and secondly I can't run more than 100 yds without running out of energy and breath.
Don't worry, you don't need a gym to get fit.

Do you live in a city or are you lucky enough to have some decent countryside around?

Get your doc to give you a quick checkover before you start busting a gut. You may only be 31, but if you've not tested your heart in 12 years I'd be careful.

They'll probably just check your pulse and blood pressure are OK and be aware of your family medical history which may affect your exercise.

I'd recommend doing some circuit training (press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc..) to build some basic strength and give you some general conditioning. You can start doing small circuits in the morning (say 10 press-ups, 10-sit-ups, a pull-up, whatever) and do the same last thing at night. Even if you can only manage one full press-up don't worry. Everyone has to start somewhere and all that matters is that you progress. Add a press-up every week (or sooner if you can manage) and also try adding another set to the circuit. Do something like that day-in, day-out for a few months and you'll soon be doing hundreds of the things.

Someone once said that you could do a press-up one day and simply add one press-up ever day or two. After a month you'd be up to 30, two months 60, and so on.

You can even vary them by moving your hands wider or closer together. The list of circuits is endless and you don't need any gym memberships or fancy, expensive equipment. This form of fitness training has worked for the Military for at least two hundred years - simply because it's effective.

Supplement this with a good running programme and you're sorted. Running does stress your lower body, so it pays to get some things right first.

1. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes. Go to a pucka running shop and not JJB Sports. They'll look at your running style and give you some advice on appropraite shoes. They may not be 100% first time, but you'll never know that until you start running.

2. Don't run on hard surfaces - no concrete or tarmac. You want nice fluffy grass, dirt trails. The best thing to get you fit would be cross country. Start running across fields and you'll soon be coughing up all that cr@p in your lungs

My Ankles don't hurt even after 20-miles of running. What does hurt is my leg muscles. If you have sore ankles, knees or hips then either you don't warm up properly, run with inappropriate footwear, don't have the correct posture when running (this could be biomechanical) or batter the pavements.

Stefan
Old 22 September 2004, 05:00 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

BTW, you'd be surprised just how much sugar is in coco pops.

Look at the packet and see how much of the carbohydrates are made of sugar. That's for 100g, so you'd need to check just how much you put in your own serving by weighing it. Don't need to be sad and weigh everything, but you could do it for an average day as it'll give you a arough indication on how much calories you eat and what percentage is cr@p like sugar.

Stefan
Old 22 September 2004, 05:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Chees Tel, a skipping rope will be a lot cheaper than a swimming pool membership! Is skipping seriously as beneficial as running and cycling?
Try it for 20mins and you'll see. Boxers do it all the time for general conditioning and it's very effective. It's bl00dy hard when you first start.

Stefan
Old 22 September 2004, 05:03 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Buy yourself a Labrador!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 September 2004, 05:04 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Yep, skipping is the bees knees. And you don't need anything other than a decent skipping rope and a bit of space outside the back door. I guarantee you - the first time you do it you'll be exhausted, even after two or three bursts of two minutes or so. Don't let this put you off - get out there the following day; you'll soon see improvements.
Old 22 September 2004, 05:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Try it for 20mins and you'll see.
Stefan, are you trying to kill him? My son's started, he could barely manage 2 minutes for the first few days! I think he's up to 10 now.

Bob, skipping and running are brutally effective, a class above cycling and swimming.
Old 22 September 2004, 05:13 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Decent fitness shops should sell them - boxing shops definitely will. You don't want something with wooden "lollipop" handles from Toys-R-Us..!!
Old 22 September 2004, 05:37 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

If you're suffering with chest pains, and haven't excercised for many years, for god's sake get a checkup before you do anything.

Running is often recommended on here - fine if you're into it, your body can take it and you enjoy it, but the risk of injury is higher than something like cycling.

Most important on any fitness program is doing things that you enjoy, and therefore are more likely to stick at when it's dark, cold, wet, windy or all 4.

If, as you say, you enjoy mtb'ing then get out and ride. There is no reason on this earth why running will get you fitter than cycling. If you can commute to work then this is a good base to start with, then start throwing in a longer ride or 2 midweek and at weekends. Don't attack every ride like you're in the TdF - there's no point, you'll get good gains from going at a good brisk pace (perhaps with a few short 'sprint' intervals thrown in) and again you're more likely to stick at it. Over a period of months you'll be able to easily up the miles/time in the saddle.

Take it steady and look at it this way - you've taken many years to get so unfit, it isn't going change overnight.

Quick Reply: Another fitness question - I need some serious advice...