Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can I raffle my car on Scoobynet??

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 12:19 PM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I raffle my car on Scoobynet??

Would it be possible to raffle my car on scoobynet?? I could sell raffle tickets for £5 each and the winner would win my car. Are there any legal issues on this?? I could make more money by doing this.... and you guys would have a better chance of winning due to the relativley small amount of people who buy tickets??
Old 28 September 2004, 12:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

bets of luck collecting all those fivers
Old 28 September 2004, 12:29 PM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

was thinking of either ppl being able to pay fiver or whatever price to be decided into my acc. or get ppl to send cheques, and let them clear??? that could be hell of a lot of work and record keeping though!! but i would devise some logical method to simplify the process...........
Old 28 September 2004, 12:30 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Something I thought of doing years ago, yes there are legal issues, first of all camelot had the gaming laws changed (who says monpolies are dead???) so that it is illegal for any organisation to charge money to enter a prize draw. The way most of the draws you see on telly/web/radio work are because they are promoted as free but you get charged via phone/text or whatever, or you may have seen best of the best at the airports where you can win an exotic sports car by buying a ticket but there is a spot the ball competition wrapped around it, again to overcome this legislation. Websites like the now defunct topprize.co.uk were in fact completely illegal but probably not well enough publicised or successful to ***** up the ears of someone prepared to do anything about it.

This is all to protect the national lottery, I had a solicitor study the gaming laws and do due dilligence as part of business idea I had which involved raffling. The only other way is to set yourself up as a charity or society but then that has implications.

But hey if you get it sorted just make the tickets a fiver each and sell bucket loads of em, i'll have a few!

cheers

Gary
Old 28 September 2004, 12:37 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

£5 a ticket...whats your car worth? £10k?

you think you will find 2000 ppl to buy a ticket? answer is NO

but if you did you think you would actually get all those £5 in the post? NO
Old 28 September 2004, 12:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

GaryK. u sure thats right? was watching a program last week showing a new system of raffling houses for sale rather than actually selling it and this had no legal implications....
Old 28 September 2004, 12:45 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Well why not set up a website with all the details of the car with a credit/debit card authorisation system through the bank. That way you have all details, numbers and money securely stored in a database.
Old 28 September 2004, 12:46 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Have a search on www.GT4OC.com. A guy did this not so long ago selling tickets for £20 for an ST185 worth £2000. He sold his 100 tickets and got all the cash and declared a winner. The only problems came when the guy who won asked for a cash alternative as he didn't really want the car. I believe he was pressured into taking the car or forfeiting the win. So not a bad result.
Old 28 September 2004, 12:47 PM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
£5 a ticket...whats your car worth? £10k?

you think you will find 2000 ppl to buy a ticket? answer is NO

but if you did you think you would actually get all those £5 in the post? NO
£5 or whatever the price to be decided!!!!!!!!!!!
Read my post carefully!

Thnx Gary for that useful information, the legal issue that you highlighted would without doubt complicate things....
Has no-body ever done this before, thought I heard of someone doing a similar thing on the RS owners club?
Old 28 September 2004, 12:50 PM
66 Blue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Well why not set up a website with all the details of the car with a credit/debit card authorisation system through the bank. That way you have all details, numbers and money securely stored in a database.
Ahh, great idea, my brother is an IT bod, we have our own website hosting etc.....
Old 28 September 2004, 12:55 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

You need a verifiably indpendent person to make the draw. You need to be able to prove that all the entries were in the draw, and all had an equal chance. If you fall short of your target you need good records to be able to return all the cash. You would have to ciover the costs If your brother wins the car you need to be able to demonstrate to 999 disappointed punters that all was fair and above board, etc. etc.

Not worth the candle IMO.
Old 28 September 2004, 12:57 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I think if you market it properly and put it on all the boy racer websites, their would be enough interest to sell over 1000 tickets. If 5% of scoobynet bought one that would cover it alone.
Old 28 September 2004, 04:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
I think if you market it properly and put it on all the boy racer websites, their would be enough interest to sell over 1000 tickets. If 5% of scoobynet bought one that would cover it alone.

5% response to a marketing campaign are numbers many advertising execs would love to hear!

not gonna happen unless your car is worth £15 to you, you may well sell 3 or 4 i'll give you that!
Old 28 September 2004, 04:56 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
You need a verifiably indpendent person to make the draw. You need to be able to prove that all the entries were in the draw, and all had an equal chance. If you fall short of your target you need good records to be able to return all the cash. You would have to ciover the costs If your brother wins the car you need to be able to demonstrate to 999 disappointed punters that all was fair and above board, etc. etc.

Not worth the candle IMO.
Best thing to do if you don't get enough money is to give the MONEY to the winner as a prize. That way, you can bank all the money and just give it back to ONE person. That way, SOMEONE'S got to win SOMETHING. Either a car or a bunch of money.
Old 28 September 2004, 05:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the search, Luke - someone proposed this six months or a year ago, I'm sure...
Old 28 September 2004, 05:18 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Think you would need to clear it with Simon/Shaun as well
Old 28 September 2004, 05:33 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
GaryK. u sure thats right? was watching a program last week showing a new system of raffling houses for sale rather than actually selling it and this had no legal implications....

Dave,

Absolutely 100% it is illegal to charge entry to a draw, ive seen a few people doing that and yes they *are* breaking the gaming laws. Its one of those things though, unless someone takes action nothing will happen.

Thats why also when you see the papers/magazines running competitions you will see in the small print 'no purchase necessary' and as above there are other stipulations such as cash alternatives.

Yes people do not like to get ripped off, there was a guy local to me trying to raffle his house and if he sells all the tickets he would make about £300K profit! Its like who figgin stupid does he think people are!

As for selling the car yes sell tickets for a fiver but only to a realistic market value for the car not to make pots of cash because people will not buy them!

cheers

Gary
Old 28 September 2004, 05:35 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Is that right that Raffles are now illegal?

Surly not
Old 28 September 2004, 06:17 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Church raffle is not for charity, it goes to the upkeep of the indiviual church, or so it says on the signs.

But then churches don't pay tax on unearned income either.
Old 29 September 2004, 11:39 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

66Blue,

Unfortunately our software does not allow the facilities for such a sale. The whole model of this kind of selling would require some fairly radical changes and indepth work. The complexitys could be quite mind blowing, even though in principal it sounds all straight forward.

I would personally suggest you use the more conventional ways of selling either available on here (which is very successful) or through other well known mediums.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 29 September 2004, 02:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bored, so...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=330800