Burberry

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2004, 10:40 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burberry

Hello

I just wonder how Burberry got associated with some of the more interesting members of society (oh, okay, "chavs")?

Going back quite a few years (50+ probably), Burberry had a good name and were the purveyor of clothes that were of good quality and quite expensive.

How things change I suppose..

Steve.
Old 29 October 2004, 10:42 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

burburry is still expensive, god knows why though....
Old 29 October 2004, 10:47 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

It started in the Drum and Bass scene IIRC. MC Shabba D turned up to a few raves wearing a burberry cap and it all went from there.
astraboy.
Old 29 October 2004, 10:48 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Posh Spice and that Westbrook bird with part of her nose missing started wearing it...down hill from there then!
Old 29 October 2004, 10:51 AM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Even Blair wears it these days - wotta chav
Old 29 October 2004, 10:56 AM
Pbr
Scooby Regular

Through it's association with football hooligans. In the early eighties football hooligans moved away from the lace-up boots and leather jacket image of the seventies and started to dress in brands like Lacoste and Burberry. The new hooligans were known as "casuals" and the new "designer" labels they wore may have originated in Liverpool and been influenced by the European fashions that Liverpool hooligans (a minority of their support) encountered on their trips through Europe following their club.

As the eighties progressed different labels became associated with different clubs. Stone Island were associated with West Ham, and Burberry became the outfit of choice (caps etc) for Scottish hooligans, principally from Rangers. From there it became a fashionable chav "gang" accessory.
Old 29 October 2004, 10:59 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Chavs can't afford REAL Burberry.

That's what makes it so crass - what you see are shoddily made replicas.

Trending Topics

Old 29 October 2004, 11:11 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The French seem to love it though.
Old 29 October 2004, 11:14 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Maybe 5 years ago? i bought a couple of thomas burberry jumpers.
Plain wool jobs- not that horrible check print think as modelled by miss moose of may (see other thread). great quality and cut and all the rest of it. They were quite expensive too!
Lovely jumpers- but cant wear them now, as they have the 'Thomas Burberry' logo embroidered (very small logo where the pocket would be on a shirt- not like market knock offs with foot high logos) and as they are forever associated with all thinks chav/tasteless now they are at the very back of the wardrobe and will probably remain so.
In fact, thinking about it, ill stick them on ebay.
That check pattern is hideous however- and it always has been
Old 29 October 2004, 11:15 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

It's a peculiarly British phenomenon at the moment. I'm not sure, but i don't think *any* other European country has quite the stigma attached to Burberry that the UK does, although they're catching up fast from what i've seen and been told...
Old 29 October 2004, 11:16 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

The brand is very popular in Hong Kong among the fashion conscious Chinese! Along with Armarni, Gucci, Rolex and LV.

Not really my cup of tea though!
Old 29 October 2004, 11:19 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Okay, so it's not just me then. Although the clothes are not my style either, certainly my parents describe Burberry clothes with a certain amount of love and were happy whenever they managed to afford to buy them.

Steve.
Old 29 October 2004, 11:22 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pbr
Through it's association with football hooligans. In the early eighties football hooligans moved away from the lace-up boots and leather jacket image of the seventies and started to dress in brands like Lacoste and Burberry. The new hooligans were known as "casuals" and the new "designer" labels they wore may have originated in Liverpool and been influenced by the European fashions that Liverpool hooligans (a minority of their support) encountered on their trips through Europe following their club.

As the eighties progressed different labels became associated with different clubs. Stone Island were associated with West Ham, and Burberry became the outfit of choice (caps etc) for Scottish hooligans, principally from Rangers. From there it became a fashionable chav "gang" accessory.
what he said
Old 29 October 2004, 11:27 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Designer clothes are too expensive for most youngsters to buy, but they need to keep people interested in there product. So they began making cheaper things that youths could afford a bit more easily.

Items such as Caps, socks underwear etc. Relatively expensive, but cheap compared to tops, trousers, shirs, suits, coats etc.
Old 29 October 2004, 11:38 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pbr

Partly correct, but Liverpool were not entirely the pioneers of casuals, and were and still are months behind others.
Old 29 October 2004, 12:24 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

i think the vast majority of burberry products are great. the check patten is awful though, didnt it start out as the pattern for the lining of their coats?

bought my ex a burberry hand bag (not a check pattern one!) plain brown. really nice, great quality.

if i controlled burberry i'd get rid of the check patten all together before their reputation is completely lost!
Old 29 October 2004, 12:48 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

My old Astra SRI had the Burberry interior

Just dawned on me just now .....
Old 29 October 2004, 12:55 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SiPie
My old Astra SRI had the Burberry interior

Just dawned on me just now .....
I think I saw it at Thorpe Park the other week .
Old 29 October 2004, 12:59 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robert Rosario
Partly correct, but Liverpool were not entirely the pioneers of casuals, and were and still are months behind others.
Months behind? Shell suits went out of fashion years ago!
Old 29 October 2004, 01:03 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pbr

Not forgetting the ubiquitous Farah hopsack trousers, along with Pringle or Lyle & Scott jumpers
Old 29 October 2004, 02:01 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minor_threat
Months behind? Shell suits went out of fashion years ago!
You are not wrong. We had Everton here last Saturday, and there were hundreds of tracksuits coming out of the away end.