100+ on M69 - URGENT advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2004, 09:14 PM
shkuby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 100+ on M69 - URGENT advice needed

I would really appreciate some sound advice on my case. This is what happened:

1. Drove at 4.30am back in June on M69 (three lanes, no cars at all either way, already very light and dry road, very long straight stretch of the road.)

2. Stopped by cops who said that they were following me for about 2 miles and recorded my speed (against their speedometer) as between 110-120 (did not have a video, radar, etc) - they said

3. They read me my rights and gave a producer to show license and mot cert
They asked me what speed I was doing. I said "I don't know".

4. Showed my license and mot cert at police station within 7 days

5. Got court summons today. Summons dated 29/09. Enveloped stamped 25/10, inviting me to court on 1/11 (next Monday). Offences are: speeding on motorway and driving without appropriate license. and I am pretty sure they have got it wrong with my license as according to DVLA you can drive with full EU license for as long as you want - no need to exchange tfor a UK one. I can probably sort misunderstanding with the license, but I am concerned about speeding offence and being banned.

I am not sure what to do next. Note that they have already made some mistakes with paperwork. So can not plead guilty for 2 offences. There is very little time left until Monday, but I suppose I can send "not guilty" by special delivery. Any advise will be much appreciated, but please spare me from lectures on speeding - my mrs has done all that already.

Cheers all

P.S. Can anyone recommend good solicitor?

Last edited by shkuby; 29 October 2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 29 October 2004, 09:51 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by shkuby
I would really appreciate some sound advice on my case. This is what happened:

1. Drove at 4.30am back in June on M69 (three lanes, no cars at all either way, already very light and dry road, very long straight stretch of the road.)

2. Stopped by cops who said that they were following me for about 2 miles and recorded my speed (against their speedometer) as between 110-120 (did not have a video, radar, etc) - they said

3. They read me my rights and gave a producer to show license and mot cert
They asked me what speed I was doing. I said "I don't know".

4. Showed my license and mot cert at police station within 7 days

5. Got court summons today. Summons dated 29/09. Enveloped stamped 25/10, inviting me to court on 1/11 (next Monday). Offences are: speeding on motorway and driving without appropriate license. and I am pretty sure they have got it wrong with my license as according to DVLA you can drive with full EU license for as long as you want - no need to exchange tfor a UK one. I can probably sort misunderstanding with the license, but I am concerned about speeding offence and being banned.

I am not sure what to do next. Note that they have already made some mistakes with paperwork. So can not plead guilty for 2 offences. There is very little time left until Monday, but I suppose I can send "not guilty" by special delivery. Any advise will be much appreciated, but please spare me from lectures on speeding - my mrs has done all that already.

Cheers all

P.S. Can anyone recommend good solicitor?

Go to court and speak to duty solicitor

In regards to what was said and done at the time you should have been cautioned before being questioned and also given a verbal NIP. If you weren't then you should have received this by post and it should have been sent within fourteen days.

The fact they had no speed equipment (Vascar) means they probably weren't Traffic and gauging someones speed by the patrol cars speedo is open to "when was it last calibrated?" and "was it tested after using it to gauge your speed" Also what distance were they following you at?

At the end of the day you haven't said you weren't speeding so going "not guilty" is very immoral. Shame, shame on you!
Old 29 October 2004, 09:55 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Let's face it: their speedo isn't going to be out by 50mph, is it?
Old 29 October 2004, 11:58 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

If on the M69 it will be one of Warwickshires vehicles.

They are fitted with calibrated speedometers which are accurate to 1mph. A calibrated speedo is more than enough evidence for a prosecution. I suspect it will have been a Jag/Volvo/Merc 4WD thingy

See http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed07.htm

Out of interest, what irregularities are there with the paperwork?

Last edited by TDT; 30 October 2004 at 12:01 AM.