Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Are you a litterbug? What do you think constitutes litter?
I never drop anything
38.54%
Only if it’s biodegradable, apple cores and banana skins
39.58%
Nothing bigger than a fag but
15.63%
Sweet wrappers
1.04%
Chewing gum, someone's shoe can have a turn
5.21%
Coke cans, better out than in
0%
McDonalds packaging is designed to be lobed out of car windows
0%
Anything I’ve finished with, why should I care
4.17%
I’m a professional fly-tipper
3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a litterbug?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2004, 09:45 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are you a litterbug?

What constitutes litter?

Following a car on the motorway this morning that wound down the window and chucked a *** packet out (it bounced off my bonnet which didn’t help), made me angry to see someone acting with such little regard for others and their own surroundings.
However some people seem to think cigarette buts don’t count.
What about you, do you litter?
Old 29 October 2004, 09:48 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

If there was no litter think of all the council roadsweepers that would be unemployed
Old 29 October 2004, 09:54 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Plus there's never a bin round when you need one! Or if you are lucky enough to find one its either been burnt, half stolen or full to the brim and swarming with wasps! Which means its cleaner to throw stuff on the floor
Old 29 October 2004, 10:11 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Litter bugs should be shot ffs! *****!
Old 29 October 2004, 10:15 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

If i can't put it in a bin I take it home with me.

cath
Old 29 October 2004, 10:20 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Only biodegradable matter for me (obviously I wouldn't just throw an apple core down in the middle of the street though!).

It makes me feel sick when I go fishing and see piles of crap left strewn along our shores (some of it by anglers too regrettably). I will always pick up anything I can find in the vicinity.

I have posted on here before about an incident on the motorway in a traffic jam where I returned a load of rubbish back to its rightful owner through his window and I would urge anyone else to do the same. They need to know that people won't just look the other way.

Pet hate: On a slightly different tack, it is also disappointing to see the level of packaging products are cocooned in these days. Is it really necessary to mummify things like burgers in wraps within a polyethylene container sealed with clingfilm and all encased in a cardboard box???? Buy a cable from PC World (God forbid!) and you have to use tin snips to remove it from its plastic prison and it invariably leaves you dripping blood from lacerations between the fingers and under the nails from the fricking wrapping. An average week in the home sees binbags crammed full of polystyrene, polyethylene, polypropylene and who knows what other non biodegradable polymers all destined to be buried in a gigantic seagull ridden hole in the countryside!

Last edited by ajm; 29 October 2004 at 10:24 PM. Reason: truely awful spooling
Old 29 October 2004, 10:21 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scoobypreza
If i can't put it in a bin I take it home with me.

cath

im too big to goina bin :d any chance of...........................ok im going
Old 29 October 2004, 10:21 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal hate is lit cigs.. bounce off the bonnet of my car or myself when on my motorcycle.. I have had several arguments with people over that.. they think I am being some goodie by moaning about it.. fact the cig could have landed in my lap, landed in the engine, burnt my bonnet they seem to ignore.. wan4ers!!

As to fly tippers!! ffs.. you had to transport it to get it there so take it to the fooking tip!! live out in the sticks and if I am taking a trip to the tip will stop and pick up stuff left if I have room.. the odd washing machine etc.. there is no need for it..
Old 29 October 2004, 10:39 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Pet hate: On a slightly different tack, it is also disappointing to see the level of packaging products are cocooned in these days. Is it really necessary to mummify things like burgers in wraps within a polyethylene container sealed with clingfilm and all encased in a cardboard box???? Buy a cable from PC World (God forbid!) and you have to use tin snips to remove it from its plastic prison and it invariably leaves you dripping blood from lacerations between the fingers and under the nails from the fricking wrapping. An average week in the home sees binbags crammed full of polystyrene, polyethylene, polypropylene and who knows what other non biodegradable polymers all destined to be buried in a gigantic seagull ridden hole in the countryside!
I call this "little plastic bag syndrome"

Bought an electrical product recently? Its all packaged in a cardboard box. Open the box and its held in place by shaped polystyrene pieces, within these the main product is wrapped in a plastic bag. The mains lead, hanging from the back of the product is wrapped within a second small bag.
There will be a smaller plastic bag which contains the instructions, remote control(in another wee bag) batteries(yet another bag) and any leads etc (more wee bags) All in all, there is more packaging than product.
I think this is ridiculous.

As for litter, my workplace is on the edge of an industrial estate. There is a small unclassified road past us that people park their cars on to have lunch. The litter at the side of this road is disgusting, there are piles and piles of drinks cans, polystyrene food trays, old newspapers etc etc. All this just ends up in the fields. It will never be picked up, this rubbish will be there untill the end of time. It isnt just chavs or dossers dropping this either, it everyone from truckers to suited reps/management types who are responsible.

Just walking in the countryside isnt possible anymore without seeing litter somewhere, doesnt matter if its a local beauty spot near a road or the wilderness while hiking somewhere, there will be litter.

The smokers here often say "its just a tiny *** butt, no-one will notice it" I say to them...Take a walk along Riverside Drive in Aberdeen, past Bon Accord Glass and the offices there. Have a look at the ground. You cant see the ground in places due to accumulated ***-butts dropped there over years, which are slowly turning into a slushy pulp on the ground.

These selfish, ignorant ******** are f cking the planet up for everyone else
Old 29 October 2004, 11:41 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I currently have a Tesco bag hanging off my passenger door opener for throwing cans and stuff into, but this is mainly because I'm sick of the litter that was building up in the passenger footwell.
I hate lit ciggys thrown out of cars too but that's because the fuel cap did not seal properly on my first car. I've also had a warm wet tea bag dropped out the window of the truck I was overtaking onto my windscreen and looked back to find the driver enjoying a cuppa, and no passengers.
OTOH, there are now places which make a delibarate choice not to have bins, for example train stations. This is stupid, supposedly it's anti-terrorism but people inevitably put their litter in the empty newspaper stand and this is where I'd put the bomb if I was planting one. If a place chooses not to have bins then I have no problem with people throwing their litter on the floor
Old 30 October 2004, 12:23 AM
Mica Blue
Scooby Regular

I always put my rubbish in the bin, or hold onto it untill I can find a bin..

IMHO, the worst 'litter bugs' are Pikeys, leave a right old mess!!

Old 30 October 2004, 12:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I find it very disappointing to see the rubbish discarded these days. It is irresponsible and lazy, those who do it spoil the environment for everyone else. very dangerous to others to sling it out of a moving car.

I go fishing and it is dreadful to see the bank covered in litter, the worst is to see the old bits of line etc dropped by other anglers too.

I too can never understand why it is so necessary to use so much packaging as well, Well over the top. I think the packaging companies must be making a mint out of it and it is creating a much worse problem to get rid of it all in the landfill sites. The problem will just get worse as time goes by unless something is done to curb it.

Les
Old 30 October 2004, 08:16 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We cause enough damage passively without actively leaving our crap everywhere, I voted that I never drop anything but I would throw an Apple core or Banana skin into some bushes as this happens natrually.

My in laws live in the sticks and people drive old fridges to the lay by up the road, I suspect most of them drive past the tip to do it. These days if I see something I dont like I politely inform the offender, generally the kind of people who do it relish the opportunity to be aggressive though.
Old 30 October 2004, 12:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I've been down the lit cig being thrown / dropped thing on here before - and condone it to the hilt, but will not go into it further on this thread
As for sweet wrappers, burger boxes etc, I find it bang out of order - not on at all - and quite rightly AJM took a strong positive stance on kindly giving it back to the car where the litter came from...well played that man
Old 30 October 2004, 02:16 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
im too big to goina bin :d any chance of...........................ok im going
Old 01 November 2004, 10:26 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I've been down the lit cig being thrown / dropped thing on here before - and condone it to the hilt, but will not go into it further on this thread
As for sweet wrappers, burger boxes etc, I find it bang out of order - not on at all - and quite rightly AJM took a strong positive stance on kindly giving it back to the car where the litter came from...well played that man
Condone it to the hilt.......

Do you really mean that?
Old 01 November 2004, 10:36 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I agree - line 'em all up against a wall and shoot 'em.

Every week I clear up untold sweet wrappers/crisp packets/food wrappers etc out of my front garden. The road sweepers do a good job but they are only due once a forntight or so.
Old 01 November 2004, 10:45 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
These days if I see something I dont like I politely inform the offender, generally the kind of people who do it relish the opportunity to be aggressive though.
Can vouch for the aggressive type M8.
While walking down a street in East Sheen, was hit in the midriff by a *** packet launched from a white van.
I politely 'launched' it back from whence it came only to have to leg it when two very ugly and large 'gents' started to get out to have a word .
Old 01 November 2004, 11:00 AM
cigarboy
Scooby Regular

I only drop things in areas that

a. I don't like
b. Have a lower social standing / status than mine

Its because I'm worth it
Old 01 November 2004, 11:00 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I want to know is why people moan about the **** area they live in then throw their rubbish on the floor Even dropping cigarette (sp) ends makes a mess
Old 01 November 2004, 11:18 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

*** ends don't concern me as much as discarded chewing gum.
Old 01 November 2004, 11:41 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I throw *** ends. Often feel guilty, I do however smoke rollups so - correct me if I'm wrong - biodegradable?? I don't drop litter elsewhere.
Old 01 November 2004, 05:33 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

the odd *** but here and there but nothing major. saw some bloke throw a bottle (glass) out of his window one onto the hard shoulder of the mota way.
Old 10 November 2004, 08:19 AM
cigarboy
Scooby Regular

Old 10 November 2004, 08:44 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
the odd *** but here and there but nothing major. saw some bloke throw a bottle (glass) out of his window one onto the hard shoulder of the mota way.
So, out of interest, why do you think a *** butt is ok, yet a glass bottle isn't? Both are litter, plain & simple. The *** butt causes MORE environmental damage believe it or not.
Old 10 November 2004, 12:02 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Cool

Originally Posted by imlach
So, out of interest, why do you think a *** butt is ok, yet a glass bottle isn't? Both are litter, plain & simple. The *** butt causes MORE environmental damage believe it or not.

Good to see everything is so black and white in Imlach world

Perhaps driving over smashed glass causes more of a threat to (road) safety than a squishy old cig butt?

Ooops!! Im off down the condoning of cig butt throwing again - coz there's nothing wrong with it - stop it Mr Abdabz - the SN 'whiter than white' brigade will wave their napkins at you God bless 'em...
Old 10 November 2004, 12:59 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Abdabz, humour me....
Why is it ok to throw butts out of the window?
Almost all cars have ash trays in them specifically for this purpose then once a week or so you can transfer them to a bin so they can be disposed of in a less anti social way.
I can't see a justification for throwing them out of the window other than being plain lazy?
Old 10 November 2004, 01:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Good to see everything is so black and white in Imlach world
Litter is pretty black & white to most people. You don't litter - that's the end of it.

*** butts ARE litter. Period.
Old 10 November 2004, 02:03 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

I chuck my *** butts out the window. I do it because I don't want them smelling out my car.

I pay over £3 to the government in tax for each pack of ****, so they can use my money to clean up after me.

Litter doesn't bother me, but then I live in London which has always been covered in it.

Is this selfish - yes but this is a selfish world.
Old 10 November 2004, 02:05 PM
ocean
Scooby Regular

I must say I enjoy a good fly tipping. A true source of joy - similar to the pleasure I derived from vandalising things as a youth.

I find it absolutely hilarious pulling up by the side of the road in a street - preferably residential/urban so as not to wreck the countryside - opening the boot and dumping a mattress, some old carpet and other junk. I never fail to drive off in stitches at the sight in the rear view mirror. I tend to go for council estates, or precious over-preened lower middle class streets in the 'burbs. An old stereo dumped in Blackheath was a memorable one.

Much better fun than spoiling a Sunday morning queueing up with all the peasants at the council tip.

You all know what I am talking about when I speak of the sheer hilarity of it - but who'll admit to it?