Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

ID cards. Good or bad? Poll!

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 06:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ID cards. Good or bad? Poll!

Gov said today it will bring in ID cards in the future. Seems to be a lot of objections to this from civil liberties groups. Own view is I've got nowt to hide so got no problem in carrying one.

So do you think its a good or bad thing to introduce these cards into the UK.

Chip.
Old 23 November 2004, 06:49 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Has to be a good thing, I dont mind carrying one - always have credit cards, driving licence on me anyway.

If Police can check them against a database instantly then they should be good in helping against immigrants for example - however I can picture the situation; "oh youre ID is fake Mr Mohammed, so your an illegal immigrant here from Iraq where you were fighting against western troops? Well lets get you booked into a nice hotel while we sort you out with a house and some benefits" .... so pretty pointless.

Basically they have potential to be useful, but due to human rights crap etc, the potential probably wont be fulfilled.
Old 23 November 2004, 06:51 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

like you chip i've got nowt to hide so i've no problem with it

mike
Old 23 November 2004, 06:59 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Although I have no objections to an ID card per se, I don't really see the point of it. We have passports, driving licences etc. Just make passports mandatory and maybe enhance new ones to have the extra technology required. Sure that would be far cheaper to implement too given that much of the infrastructure is already there i.e. large database with all your details.
Old 23 November 2004, 07:03 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

yeah and how long will it be before you can buy a fake ID card for £20 they are great in theory but in reality its just gonna be another wasted project funded by a months worth of tax from everybody
Old 23 November 2004, 07:33 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Bad idea because then I will be asked for my ID to get into pubs etc.
Old 23 November 2004, 07:36 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Yes for me. Nowt to hide and my movements are on hundreds of CCTV cams every week anyway!

Last edited by SiDHEaD; 23 November 2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 23 November 2004, 07:39 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Anything that stops illegal scum immigrants in is good imo.

Though, they should be encrypted somehow, so only certain people (police) can view the detail.
Old 23 November 2004, 07:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I used to be very against having to carry any form of photo ID, mainly as I saw no reason why I should, if I was not doing anything illegal, have to have identifcation on me.

Now? well, I've changed slightly. I still don't really like the idea, however, by law I'm required to carry my drivers licence when I'm driving (it's a photo licence) and so I always have it in my wallet and I always have my wallet with me, so I'm technically always carrying photo ID and I dont' have a problem with it.

It's not going to make much difference, as others have said, fake ID's will appear. Heck, it's easy enough to get a fake passport, so a fake ID card, easy. What I'd like to know is what data will be linked to the ID card. Is it just name, address, DOB, picture, or will it be connected to other systems, for example, police records, credit history, etc...

The question really is, why do they want to introduce ID cards? If it's to find out who should not legally be in the UK, then, to me, that's stupid, it's the wrong place to sort out the problem. The real place is a change to immigration laws.
Old 23 November 2004, 07:44 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
The real place is a change to immigration laws.

Exactly.

"Your names not down you're not coming in".

.....so bugger orrrff!!!
Old 23 November 2004, 07:46 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Yes for me.....I want to see your papers.....
Old 23 November 2004, 07:48 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Maybe "they" (whoever they are) should kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Implant a chip into people that serves 2 purposes:

1. ID.

2. Stops less than 16yr old chav females from getting pregnant.
Old 23 November 2004, 08:00 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

No USA doesn't have ID cards. G Bush decided against them. You don't have to carry your UK driving licence hence the producer.
As I have posted before this current regime wants to control the mainly law abiding majority. Hence scameras, probably speed limiters in all vehicles. The majority provides the taxes they waste on themselves, the chavs and their lawyer friends who protect the "rights" of the criminals they keep telling us they're going to get tough with. Fat chance.
Old 23 November 2004, 08:18 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

you realise that the 'privilege' of carrying one of these cards is going to cost you (directly, not through your taxes) £30 - **** that, if blunkett wants me to carry one, he's paying for it
Old 23 November 2004, 08:48 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Remember - politicians are after two things - money and power.... and both at our expense ...

Dave
So beautifully summed up!
Old 23 November 2004, 08:57 PM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

I think they're a bad idea. The corrupt ******** we call 'government' must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of so much more control over us, all in the name of 'protecting us' from 'terrorism'.

They will solve absolutely nothing, in terms of what they're telling us. Spain has had ID cards for years and that didn't stop the Madrid bombings.
Old 23 November 2004, 09:11 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

As above, yes but no to paying £30 to £40.
Old 23 November 2004, 09:24 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

some very valid points been made both plus and minus, not so sure now, i suppose it depends on what information will be held on the database. if its name date/place of birth and address then yes no problem, but again how do you stop fraud? and who funding it? certenly not paying £30 or be funded by tax payments as it could be better going to the nhs schools etc

mike
Old 23 November 2004, 09:24 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

If I honestly thought that they would actually benefit anyone, I would be for them.

However, I'm fairly sure that ID cards will end up meaning hassle for the law abiding, whilst the lawbreakers and illegals laugh themselves stupid.
Old 23 November 2004, 09:42 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by richiewong
I want to see your papers.....
Followed by 'Your papers are not in order!'
Old 23 November 2004, 10:14 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Just been on the news:
£85 pp, inc passport.
Within 10 years.
Total cost £3,000,000,000 (Whats the bet that this is over-run?)

Of course the goverment already have a really good record with major IT projects.......not.
Old 23 November 2004, 10:18 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Bad idea. Being FORCED to carry an ID card is no different from being tattooed with a barcode. The innocent will comply and be inconvenienced whilst the criminals will flout the law entirely as usual.

I simply shall not carry an ID card, end of.
Old 24 November 2004, 12:15 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Instead of crap ID cards, why don't they, to stop most petty crime:-

For every new baby born in this country take a DNA sample - therefore any crime is committed in the future , with DNA evidence, they got you banged to rights - never mind this namby pamby hot shot lawyer getting the theiving toe rag ****** off on a technicality, or no proof it was you - you do the crime - pay in time.......

you could even extend in EU wide or world wide......and even more controversially ask every current EU resident for a DNA sample....?

Something to hide sir?
Old 24 November 2004, 12:31 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I could go out right now and get a photo driving licence for 150notes, or a passport for 350.
hold them side by side to the real deal, and they are utterly indistinguishable- and that includes the holograms etc
Both 100% accurate and i have seen them fool police before (a friend got into a bit of bother with not having correct entitlement on his licence but thats another story).

Within a week of these things being introduced, they will be available on the streets cheaply and easily and straight away you are back to square one- this is not a hollow prediction, this is a fact.

What happens if you lose it? I can think of several worst case scenarios in which things could potentially go **** up
I have absolutely nothing to hide at all, but all this does is yet again cause more inconvenience and expense to normal law abiding people, and none whatsoever to whoever the hell they are trying to thwart (presumably terrorists )

Giant can of mouldy worms- but then, i didnt vote for blunkett, bliar or any other labour penii... so dont blame me

P.s
Whoever posted that link- interesting stuff

Last edited by Freak; 24 November 2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 24 November 2004, 01:00 AM
blueone
Scooby Regular

Wink

No!

I don't know what is more of a worry some of the answers in favour or the thought of some of you having the vote! LOL Perhaps we should recind the 2nd reform Act of 1867 and de urbanize 'man'. Do people really just read the headlines and watch the news soundbites and believe the propoganda that the newsreaders are told to read in their scripts? People use to say that the world was flat, don't look behind you, as you may see the bogeyman...
Old 24 November 2004, 07:09 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I wont carry one, total waste of time, they will be forged like all other documents. You can buy a passport driving licence tax disc or any othe main document, I cant see this being any different. And I couldnt trust myself to carry it always any way. Start of a police state ...............................
Old 24 November 2004, 07:19 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Whats going on in the UK ??? A Police state before you know it.

ID cards will do what exaclty? If you live under the radar now you sure is hell aint gonna get an ID card. Soooooo why have them? I ll tell you to keep tabs on everyone.

Everyone living in fear...........its sad.
Old 24 November 2004, 09:25 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Flame suit on!

All for them and I would incorporate DNA stuff. On the assumption that much petty crime and sex stuff with kids etc is committed by sad losers who won't have the resources or skill to access a fraudulent card and that in any event in a few years time technology will make it harder for the cards to be cloned etc. For any crime like that where DNA is left then the law immediately knows the name and last address of the culprit - what can be wrong with that?

May be you could have a register of people who refuse to have a card for reasons of conscience or whatever. Fair enough but they come under close scrutiny if something goes awry.

DL

Quick Reply: ID cards. Good or bad? Poll!