Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Proposed car alarm ban

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 07:10 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Proposed car alarm ban

Some poncy Liberal apparantly wants car alarms banned as he reckons they are ineffective. Is he gonna ban the Police too then ?

CLICKY

Originally Posted by Norman Baker
The devices are a "total waste of time" according to Mr Baker, who added: "What do people do when they hear one go off in the night?
"Do they rush out to defend the car or call the police? No - nobody does a thing except get woken up. They are useless and very annoying.

When police are alerted by callers to a car alarm they seldom have time to investigate.
I'm sure you are all like me, and are straight out if your alarm is sounded. True, I probably wouldn't bother phoning the Plod. What would be the point, they'd only come if I could prove the thieves were speeding

Two coppers visited my work on sunday night (2am), and they had time to drive around for an hour in an unmarked car searching for my company (although they found the wrong site ) just to make sure that the guy who'd fallen and banged his head but was perfectly OK and back at home after a brief hospital visit was going to inform the HSE Couldn't this have been done with a 2 minute telephone call by a civilian operator, freeing up 2 officers to tackle the 60 car thefts which will have occurred in that hour.
Old 24 November 2004, 07:38 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Muppet. I wonder what he'd do if he was at work and heard his own alarm go off in the office car park?
Old 24 November 2004, 07:40 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

it wont happen, its just another stupid scare story stirring things up
Old 24 November 2004, 07:58 AM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

What a c*ck.

He is in a position to suggest a ban as he is probably issued with a car paid for by tax payers, and therefore doesn't give a rats *** if it gets vandalised/stolen.

Maybe if he had a car worth stealing, that he had to pay for, then he might be a bit more sensible.

He suggests that immobilisers are just as effective. Funny that - I've never heard of an immobiliser protecting my £1200 head unit.

Maybe if the police stopped wasting time/resources by hiding in bushes to catch someone doing 33mph in a 30mph zone at 11 o'clock at night and starting concentrating on catching and punishing scum that break into cars, we wouldn't all need alarms.

Yet more proof that 'elected' individuals have nothing in common with the people they are supposed to be representing, and therefore shoudn't be in the job they are supposedly doing.
Old 24 November 2004, 07:59 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I agree! its all to add to the fear in the UK. Kids not allowed out...you'll get mugged/killed/attacked if you step out of your own home.

Get out while you still can !!
Old 24 November 2004, 10:00 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I've been saying the same as him since 1992, when every *** had to have a 16-tone 200 decibel polyphonic ring tone alarm fitted to his shed just to set it off to show his mates what new tune he had this week. When I lived in Richmond there was one going off every 15 minutes. No-one gave a toss.

Why can't the guy promote stickdeath.com at the same time?
Old 24 November 2004, 10:04 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Well I've been saying the same as him since 1992, when every *** had to have a 16-tone 200 decibel polyphonic ring tone alarm fitted to his shed just to set it off to show his mates what new tune he had this week. When I lived in Richmond there was one going off every 15 minutes. No-one gave a toss.
couldn't agree more - car alarms are an utter waste of time. a decent immobilser is fine, but afaics alarms serve no purpose. we had one going off on an old rover in our street a couple of weeks ago. every 5 minutes for the whole night. . Eventually the council sent out some operatives who disconnected his battery .

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 24 November 2004 at 10:18 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2004, 11:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sparkrite and other cheapo DIY fit alarm manufacturers and rogue fitters have alot to answer for. Also the tight ***** who paid a little as possible and bough the crappest, most unreliable alarm on the market. And when they are faulty/too sensitive they carry on using it instead of getting it fixed or adjusted!

These days aren't so bad, but at the height of the aftermarket car alarm boom there were load of crap alarms that would go off when a fly farted. These are the nusiences, these are the ones who irritate people, and these are the ones who people can blame for having their own car alarm ignored when sombody breaks in their own car!

But once peopl learn to ignore then they ignore everyones alarm, defeating the whole point.

The exact same can be said with house alarms - as there are that many cheap skates that buy some crappy DIY fit A1 alarms job from B&Q (getting ripped off in the process). And any hint of a sunny day or bit of breeze sets the things off. Only so that when our reliable alarm system that has only gone off once falsly in 10 years gets ignored when sombody actually breaks in