Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

!!!!! They're at it again.

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2004, 08:46 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!! They're at it again.

Just heard on radio. Government is to restrict work householders can carry out on electrics. Any done outside this will have to be inspected by a Building Control inspector. I've always done my electrics incl. full rewires. I know what IEE regs are and keep up to date when needed.
Yet more lowest common denominator stuff , nanny state knows best and no doubt rip off inspection charges to waste on the chavs et al.
I'm getting so p1ssed off with this load of wasters (of taxpayers money).

Last edited by Vegescoob; 27 November 2004 at 08:48 PM. Reason: !!spelling!!
Old 27 November 2004, 08:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

" I've always done my electrics incl. full rewires"

ohhhhh, arent you clever.

for anyone who isnt a Handy Andy wannabe it sounds a good idea.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:03 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Crozier
I bought a house that had been rewired by a DIY 'expert'. It nearly burnt down as a result.

In future I will always insist on the relevant people checking what I am buying.
Yes, well in my current house, bought at 5 years old I had to put right the electrics installed by the so called professional. A new bungalow bought by my mother had every socket and lightswitch terminal screw loose as well other aspects not to regs.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

its ok if you are competant.

I usually manage to get my switched lives the wrong way round.

the resulting fuse blowing confirms it!!

Mart
Old 27 November 2004, 09:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st January 2005 and you will need all electric works certified.

Damned good job too!

Too many muppets carrying out electric work and selling dangerous stuff on to others!

I have yet to see whether the rule applies to qualified engineers carrying out the work - as I am more highly qualified than the inspector would be!

Pete
Old 27 November 2004, 09:16 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Jason Crozier]I know the feeling, assuming you didn't exist then, what is wrong with ...[/QUOW
For those who are not competent then leave alone. Some of us service our Scoobys, others don't. Look how many complain about dealers. Same with electricians plumbers etc.
I can do these things. I just want this nanny state to leave me to do what I can do.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:21 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Gas will be getting even stricter soon. A log book and a registration fee be charged for all gas appliances fitted. When a registration + fee is not recieved the wholesaler will be contacted and will to have to give details of who they sold it to. I love it only registered installers will be able to fit gas appliances. I cant wait i am counting the £'s already lol.

Trending Topics

Old 27 November 2004, 09:24 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
1st January 2005 and you will need all electric works certified.

Damned good job too!

Too many muppets carrying out electric work and selling dangerous stuff on to others!

I have yet to see whether the rule applies to qualified engineers carrying out the work - as I am more highly qualified than the inspector would be!

Pete
Yes I expect your qualifications will mean nowt. Then, it will be plumbing and car servicing.
Eventually you probably won't be able to put a shelf up without inspection by a functionary of the state.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:28 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Sounds completely unenforceable to me, people won't bother with the bureaucracy.

I'm going to continue doing all my own wiring regardless of what nanny Tony thinks. Add that to my growing "criminilised by Blair" rap sheet.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:29 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Good point, let's get rid of MOT's too ...

I really do not see the problem ... besides it would be a selling point, no?
I have no problem with MOT. If you are worried about the services in a house you want to buy then have them checked. Simple.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:33 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Yep and not before time IMO.

Soon you will also need an Electrical safety certificate before you can sell your house.

I've seen houses and industrial buildings where all the metal fixings on light switches and sockets were live and in others there was a PD of over 130V between the metal fixings and earth in a bath room. Both potentially fatal to anyone.

The standard of most DIY jobs is a joke really.

Cheers
Lee
Old 27 November 2004, 09:34 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

oops, double post
Old 27 November 2004, 09:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4048371.stm

About 10 deaths each year are attributed to botched electrical work and fires caused by badly-installed wiring and appliances.
10 deaths? More than 10 people will die of hypothermia waiting for Tony's Electical Police to come round to give them a license to turn on their new heating system! lol!
Old 27 November 2004, 09:35 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

how many inspectors will that require? People wont bother asking for an inspection, its too much hassle.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:37 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

But nobody is saying you can't do it, just that it needs to be of an acceptable standard, if I understand the initial post correctly.
Yes you can do it yourself but then you should have it inspected.

If you dont then your insurer may void your insurance.

You will need a safety certificate to sell the hose from 2008 I believe.

I know my house wouldn't pass.

Cheers
Lee
Old 27 November 2004, 09:37 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Soon you will also need an Electrical safety certificate before you can sell your house.
That makes sense, I would agree with that.

However, checking every single "significant" job (whatever that is) is a complete waste of time and money. Besides, there is more important legislation than this to sort out first.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:41 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
how many inspectors will that require? People wont bother asking for an inspection, its too much hassle.
John.

You will find that nearly all decent electricians will get authorised to carry out work without inspection or they won't get work. The vast majority of electricains will also apply and receive approved inspectors certificates.

You don't need to get your work inspected unless there is an insurance issue or unless you are thinking of selling your house.

Cheers
Lee
Old 27 November 2004, 09:42 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

But nobody is saying you can't do it, just that it needs to be of an acceptable standard, if I understand the initial post correctly.
But I have to pay the State to confirm this. Everything I do is to a high standard and I don't need it cormfirmed.
Tis a pity this State can't run things to an acceptable standard. Roads! Rail! Criminal "Justice" System , need I go on. Let them concentrate on these fundamentals before carrying on this intrusion into every aspect of our lives.
Oh dear! I think I may just have imbibed more than the recommended 3 units a day of alcohol. Fine coming?
Old 27 November 2004, 09:49 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
But I have to pay the State to confirm this. Everything I do is to a high standard and I don't need it cormfirmed.
Tis a pity this State can't run things to an acceptable standard. Roads! Rail! Criminal "Justice" System , need I go on. Let them concentrate on these fundamentals before carrying on this intrusion into every aspect of our lives.
Oh dear! I think I may just have imbibed more than the recommended 3 units a day of alcohol. Fine coming?
You don't pay the state, you pay an authourised inspector.

Not 100% clear yet if these inspectors will have to pay the state as the vast majority of inspectors will be normal electricians.

It's still a bit of a grey area at the moment.

Lee
Old 27 November 2004, 09:52 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

That is exactly how I am interpreting this. You rewire a house, or wire an extension (yourself if able) ... once the job is done it is inspected and certified.
It depends what "significant" work will be. If its one-off rare jobs like rewiring an entire house then it isn't so bad, however, if I have to pay some stooges to come round and give the ok every time I take a spur off a ring main, put power in the shed, pond etc then sod it. Not doing it. Besides, who will know WHAT work someone has done in their house anyway? It is totally unworkable.

A mandatory, one-off electrical survey at the time of a house sale does make sense though. Its workable and will fit nicely with the sellers pack idea.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:55 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
You don't pay the state, you pay an authourised inspector.

Not 100% clear yet if these inspectors will have to pay the state as the vast majority of inspectors will be normal electricians.

It's still a bit of a grey area at the moment.

Lee
So, as usual, well thought out. Of course the State will charge for registration which will mean more civil servants to pay for.
Old 27 November 2004, 09:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
" I've always done my electrics incl. full rewires"

ohhhhh, arent you clever.

for anyone who isnt a Handy Andy wannabe it sounds a good idea.
Why are you such a ****? I dont think Ive ever seen you post a constructive comment. If you acted in the real world like you do here youd spend most of your life with a fat lip. If all you can do is make c*ntish remarks why dont you just keep quiet?
Old 27 November 2004, 09:58 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

its totally impractical.

An example, i just helped my mate do up his front bedroom. We moved electrical sockets, wired in data, telephone and TV points then plastered the walls, installed new skirting boards then built fully fitted wardrobes that covers the area where the old electrical sockets used to be. We also ran new wires for a fan unit in the light.

We did all this in a few days, no one would ever know it was done by us, we wouldnt wait whilst an inspection apointment was aranged before we plastered over the wiring or built the wardrobes.

It isnt practical, what they going to do on a house inspection report, rip your walls and fitted wardrobes down to look at your splicing behind the units/plaster?
Old 27 November 2004, 10:10 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
its totally impractical.

An example, i just helped my mate do up his front bedroom. We moved electrical sockets, wired in data, telephone and TV points then plastered the walls, installed new skirting boards then built fully fitted wardrobes that covers the area where the old electrical sockets used to be. We also ran new wires for a fan unit in the light.

We did all this in a few days, no one would ever know it was done by us, we wouldnt wait whilst an inspection apointment was aranged before we plastered over the wiring or built the wardrobes.
It isnt practical, what they going to do on a house inspection report, rip your walls and fitted wardrobes down to look at your splicing behind the units/plaster?
John,

As far as I understand it at the moment the extent of the testing will involve earth continuity and electrical insulation tests as well as spot checks on connection standards and materials used. You should not need an inspector mid job or before building work is completed.

Industrial and work places should already be having this work done yearly.

Cheers
Lee
Old 27 November 2004, 10:11 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I don't know what you're all getting in a lather about. Have any of you ever built your own extension? Well I have. I got told I had to have six inspections during the build at various stages. When I dug the footings a inspector came, had a quick look and signed the docket. He then signed all the others as he sad I obviously knew what I was doing and he didn't want to bother coming back.

My point - laws exist to protect the authorities from the blame culture we now have. It is unlikely they will be rigidly enforced. How many of you have done your own gas work and never called a Corgi registered plumber like you're supposed to? Same will apply to this I reckon.

Just my 2 cents worth.

tiggers.
Old 27 November 2004, 10:33 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thats the problem, this country is going down the lowest common denominator phylospohy all the time, and to me that's a backwards step. I dont want government wiping my ****, thats not their job. Government is too big now and is in a constant search of new "shemes" and "initiatives" to "improve" our lives. I would vote for a party that said sod that phylosophy, bring back common sense. We are raising a nation of ****wits who rely on other people to tell them what to do. It's pathetic.
Old 27 November 2004, 10:44 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

John,

I hear you and partly agree with you. The problem is that the electoral system in this country breeds a poltical atmosphere of point scoring politics. No party is genuinely interested in what is good for the people of this country - they are career politcians and are only intersted in helping themselves.

Therefore there is no party to vote for who would as you say 'bring back common sense' as it would shake up the whole structure of the political system far too much and with a five year election cycle they won't chance being voted out.

Therefore we just have to do what we've always done - nod our heads and get on with it our way anyway. The French have got it right. they pass every law (EEC laws included) then just ignore them - witness the police smokng on every street corner round Le Mans for instance.

At the end of the day there are plenty of laws we just ignore such as speeding - it's not right, but nothing in the short/medium term is going to change no matter who we vote in to power.

tiggers.
Old 27 November 2004, 10:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bottom line:

More red tape...more BS

Like we don't have enough as it is

Whenever moving into new property you have to have the electrics and gas surveyed for safety/insurance/valuation anyway, regardless that a pro or DIY-er installed it. So I really can't see the point.
Old 27 November 2004, 11:03 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

At the end of the day there are plenty of laws we just ignore such as speeding - it's not right, but nothing in the short/medium term is going to change no matter who we vote in to power.
So we just roll over and accept it, right?
Old 27 November 2004, 11:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

there are plenty of laws we just ignore such as speeding
And the speed cameras that criminalise 1000s are also something we should just 'accept'?

Quick Reply: !!!!! They're at it again.