Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Government spin on road tax cheats

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2004, 11:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Government spin on road tax cheats

Before I start, I'll just dispel the idea that I AGREE with people not paying their taxes

Sat in the car yeaterday waiting for wifey, listening to Milton Keynes radio, and I heard a government ad. about road tax.

Basically, they are saying to people, if someone hasn't paid road tax, have they insured? And if they haven't insured, are they MoT'd? And if they aren't MoT'd, are they roadworthy? And if not roadworthy, are they safe? So help us keep unsafe cars off the road, and grass up a road tax cheat!

Now is it just me, or do others find the links just a bit tenuous? Do they actually have any statistics ( ) to show these links are true, or are they doing the same trick on Joe Public as they did with the "speed kills" crap?

Just as an aside, entering Nottinghamshire on the A1 yesterday, I was dismayed to see three succesive road signs:

"Road deaths and serious accidents down 20% in two years" ( OK)

" Thankyou for slowing down" ( )

"Your speed makes a difference" ( )

Just another effort at reinforcing the stupid speed kills message

Alcazar
Old 28 November 2004, 01:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, if a car isn't taxed, it most likely because it's not insured. I'm sure that people who don't think twice about driving an uninsured vehicle would also have lax views toward a valid MOT, so no, probably not a tenuous link at all.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:18 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

our Westfield didnt have tax. Genuinely forgot to do it. Still had MOT and insurance though.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SPEEDING KILLS!!!

END OF ...................

SLOW DOWN OR PAY UP!!

Pete
Old 28 November 2004, 01:22 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
our Westfield didnt have tax
For how long, and were you driving round in it at the time? Obviously, the message is a generalisation, I'm sure we've all forgotten to renew bang on time at one time or another, but thats not really what the government are trying to get across with this message. If someone is driving round for a few months (or even years in some cases), then chances of those people having insurance are slim to none.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:25 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general, it's got all or none of the above. Sure, there are people who forget to pay/do one or other of them, but most peeps without tax are doing it deliberately - and also avoiding insurance and MOT.

M
Old 28 November 2004, 01:32 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I used to deliberately leave a four month gap between each tax disk on my car on a point of principal. Still always had insurance and MOT though.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

A vehicle not being taxed to be on the road is liable "technically" to be uninsured because in you have a duty of care to have the vehicle properly "fit" for the road and that includes RFL. So, should you not have it & have an accident which is your fault, your insurer can turn round & say to you that they are not honouring the claim against you or look to you for the bill if they do.

In addition, in order to get RFL, you need to provide a V5, a valid insurance certificate/cover note and MOT certificate (if applicable). It is a logical conclusion that a large number of people driving untaxed cannot produce 1 or all of those documents. Insurane being the higher cost, is likely to be presumed to be the one missing the most often.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:50 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Insurance takes 5 seconds on the phone to get and even less to sign the renewal form. Tax means sending someone down to the post office to wait for an hour and a half surrounded by smelly poor people from council estates which therefore costs me money as its not like I am going to go and get the tax myself is it. If the people of the UK united and stopped paying road tax than we wouldn't have these problems. The government spent millions on a system that could check road tax on cars based on the number plate why not spend the money on a system that links to a data base which has recording s of MOT and insurance much more useful and those actually count towards making the roads better/safer in someway but its not like common sense ever has an impact is it.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:55 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Another vote here for the connection between no tax/no insurance/no MOT/no whatever not being tenuous at all. A colleague who is a Special Constable told me that they stop people driving without seatbelts for much the same reason. Everyone knows that wearing seatbelts is the law, so if someone deliberately flouts this what else will they flout? They find something else with around 80% of those that they stop. This might be vehicle related such as no tax or insurance, or bald tyres or some other "roadworthy" feature. It has also been carrying stolen goods and drugs.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:56 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
why not spend the money on a system that links to a data base which has recording s of MOT and insurance
It does.
Old 28 November 2004, 01:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Personally I agree with the adverts.

Sure people forget to tax a car. I'm guilty of that. But IIRC you have 14 days before they'll send a lovely fine through the post. But that is not who they are targeting, and anyway, you have a whole month to renew it anyway which I find acceptable, so it's only the car owners fault.

There are too many uninsured cars used on the road, something has to be done. Main reason why they aren't insured? Money, either can't aford it or can't be arsed. If it's not taxed and in regular daily use, it is highly likely it's not insured. Bear in mind that a intentional tax dodger is on average a criminal minded person, be it a disqulaified driver, druggie etc. Or just a chav, they don't belong on the road. There's not enough police on the road to catch them, so I won't hesitate in reporting them...if their car gets crushed and they get another court case...that's another small step of getting rid of them.

The only case I could see this system being abused, is if you upset your busy-body neighbour and happen to have an untaxed car on the drive. Just takes one phone call to give you a headache!
Old 28 November 2004, 01:58 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

A policeman can tell with a quick check wether or not I have tax he cannot tell wether or not i have insurance or an MOT.
Old 28 November 2004, 02:06 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
"Road deaths and serious accidents down 20% in two years" ( OK)
Just watch this one.

In the past most areas quoted fatalities as they are a pretty simple statistic, a fatality is rarely mis-recorded, and they were a good proxy for the danger present on the roads.

However, of late you may have noticed that much propaganda is now quoting "killed and seriously injured" or "deaths and serious accidents" as the figures to show that things are getting better. This is because fatalities are going up for the first time since the Second World War but all the camera partnerships and their spin merchants need to keep themselves in a job.

The concept of "serious injury" or "serious accident" is open to interpretation and of late many organisations have been "economical with the truth" in respect of these figures. The actual number of "serious injuries" or "serious accidents" haven't actually decreased either, it is just that the way they are calculated has changed to give an instant improvement. This covers up for the fact that the number of fatalities have actually increased.

So, next time you see one of these signs that state "serious injury" or "killed and seriously injured" or "serious accidents" are down you can be confident that you are entering an area where road deaths have increased but where the figures have been massaged to keep some civil servant in a job. The fact that his job involves killing motorists but not telling them about it is, I think, a little immoral.
Old 28 November 2004, 02:30 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Luan - I'm pretty sure that they can tell if the car is insured. Obviously even if the car has a policy on it the person driving it may not be insured to drive it. The MOT bit may not be live yet, but if it isn't live it's only months away.
Old 28 November 2004, 04:20 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Sorry don't see the problem here. If someone doesn't have road tax then why should they not be reported.

I'm glad that we now have someone to report it to. A few years ago we had a lad screaming around the locality in an XR3i - he had no tax and no regard for other road users (hence probably no insurance). We contacted the police and they said they had no evidence of his antics so couldn't do anything so we told them he had no road tax - they basically said there was nothing they could do despite us giving them his address.

(As an aside he eventually crashed into another car, fortunately no one was injured).

Sorry if this doesn't fit with the usual SN 'It's all going too PC, nanny state, blah blah blah' viewpoint, but not every idea the 'powers that be' have is bad.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 28 November 2004, 04:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It does not follow that a car is not insured and with mot if it is not taxed. That really is too much of an assumption and is grossly unfair.

I bet many have driven untaxed for one reason or another in the past but would never drive uninsured.

Sounds like another scheme to up the ante for drivers.

Les
Old 28 November 2004, 05:02 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Wink

A policeman can tell with a quick check wether or not I have tax he cannot tell wether or not i have insurance or an MOT.
yes they can as when you tax a vehicle at the post office the computer askes if the car needs a MOT and won't let you proceed with the transaction if the answer is incorrect. the post office computer is linked up to the dvla so it know then the car is 3 years old or not.

mike
Old 28 November 2004, 06:06 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

If you watch the Crimebusters type programs on Sky,there is a link between having no road tax and other offences.A large proportion of those stoppped for no tax have no insurance/licence/illegal immigrants etc compared to those with tax.Stopping them is a good thing IMO.
Old 28 November 2004, 06:09 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

I was stopped by the police about 5 months ago and they checked their database to see if I was insured.As I'd only had the car 3 days I wasn't yet on it and came up as uninsured(although I was covered).
Old 28 November 2004, 06:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
SPEEDING KILLS!!!

END OF ...................

SLOW DOWN OR PAY UP!!

Pete
Unfortunatly Pete you still peddle this incorrect crap

at present you are travelling at approximatly 5000 miles per hour. you are still breathing and typing hmg propaganda
if speed kills Pete, you along with the rest of us would be dead..

just so it may remember and it may get through.

SPEED DOES NOT KILL..................................
The innapropriate use of speed in relation to the prevalant conditions is what causes the problem
The innapropriate use of speed in relation to the prevalant conditions is what causes the problem

Mart
Old 28 November 2004, 06:23 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Its like the link...

DVD piracy supports Al-Quada....yeah,whatever.
Old 28 November 2004, 06:32 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Dont mind this one... It is a key step towards ensuring all motorists have insurance and an MOT (I hear 1 in 10 dont).

I'm sure that concern doesnt really cross the authorities minds (otherwise a NIP would also be a producer after all) and it's really about chasing the lost revenue, but at least checking if people have insurance etc is a positive step for the rest of us.

D