Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone know anything about bilge pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2004, 10:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Anyone know anything about bilge pumps?

The type that are operated by a weight in a float on an arm - when the float gets high, weight drops and presumably makes contact (sorry if these aren't bilge pumps!). I've got a couple sitting in my garage that don't work - vaguely 6in high and 6in diameter. One garden drain is pumped; presumably the previous owner burned a couple out and is now on the latest one. (Her general attitude to house maintenance was, live there for ages and then move on )

As they seem to be priced at about €100 each, if there's a simple fix I wouldn't mind knowing about it. If however they're sealed as waterproof etc and non-serviceable, I'll bin them.

Cheers for any input
Old 28 November 2004, 11:19 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
The type that are operated by a weight in a float on an arm - when the float gets high, weight drops and presumably makes contact (sorry if these aren't bilge pumps!). I've got a couple sitting in my garage that don't work - vaguely 6in high and 6in diameter. One garden drain is pumped; presumably the previous owner burned a couple out and is now on the latest one. (Her general attitude to house maintenance was, live there for ages and then move on )

As they seem to be priced at about €100 each, if there's a simple fix I wouldn't mind knowing about it. If however they're sealed as waterproof etc and non-serviceable, I'll bin them.

Cheers for any input
Hi there
We had a couple of these in the cellar at my hotel. It used to flood when spring tides. They worked as you say with a float switch. If the float is moving and it still does'nt work then bin them as they are not usually made for repair. They are pretty cheap but unless you need an automatic one, just get a hand pump from a yacht chandlers. OOeeerr missus.

Hope this helps
Alas
Old 28 November 2004, 11:30 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At that size they sound a bit more than just bilge pumps - perhaps sewage pumps instead.
To burn out they would need to be on without being cooled (chamber/drain is dry when pump on or filter is blocked) or the seals have gone.
If the former then there may also be a problem with the switch as well.
Again being that size, they should be dismantleable - look for a local pump repair company or I may have some addresses.
Serviceability will depend on the age of these pumps - are there any labels/plaques on the casings?

Added: if they are water pumps and have poor filter system then they won't be able to cope with sludge and silt in drains and will burn out.

Nick

Last edited by Butty; 28 November 2004 at 11:35 PM.