Speed Camera vans

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2004, 05:53 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speed Camera vans

Whats the range on such devices?

Surely I could not be unlucky enough to get done 3 times in one year!
Old 09 December 2004, 05:58 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

You'll be surprised (unfortunately) - time to get an LRC-100 if you want to be driving in 2005.

Gastro
Old 09 December 2004, 05:59 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Range is very good. They can get you from quite far, but in my experience (of strange beeps in my car ) they tend to do it under 100mts. Depends on how many cars there are in front of you?

Bob
Old 09 December 2004, 06:00 PM
jk100
Scooby Regular

Not sure exactly, but certainly a good 500 metres I think.
Old 09 December 2004, 06:12 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

Oh no! Be coming to me too as the car's in my name! I could take them for you, for a fee of course
Old 09 December 2004, 06:16 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

You're in trouble now Dave
I don't know what the range is but the detector seems to pick them up from a fairly short distance. How busy was the road - you sure you were got?
Old 09 December 2004, 06:54 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Technically they have a range of up to 2km, depending on the model, but it appears rare for them to be used at such extreme range.

You should note that the various detectors and the like will be made illegal and only GPS "detection" systems will remain within the law to allow for the introduction of the Intelligent Speed Adaptation system which will remotely control your car.

If you are thinking of a jammer then you should look back over my posts to find the one about the chap who let his girlfriend drive his jammer equiped car. She was arrested in what could only be described as a "police raid." I suspect you will find there will be more of this about.

Big brother doesn't like interferance.
Old 09 December 2004, 07:21 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Depends what equipment they're using. If they're using laser (ie LTI2020 or similar) the range is about 2 miles. If they're using something like Speedmaster then the system works off hoses in the road.
Old 09 December 2004, 09:36 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

scoob_babe

>You're in trouble now Dave

I do hope not!

Nat21

>Was it in Northants? Where was it?

Delepre, if you drive past Althorpe (a428) and keep driving in to town. It was down the hill past the football fields. 30 limit, and I think I was doing 40ish, before I spotted it, a couple of hundred meters away.

Oh well, I am not moaning, if I was speeding I was speeding, but to get caught 3 times in a year.....well since june is unlucky!

Dave
Old 09 December 2004, 09:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Angry

Did my A34 run again today,

once again the van was parked in his "hidden " location,

thats 4 times in 4 weeks he,s been there.

one for the legal bods!!! if a copper was to park his car outside your house and sit there watching your drive constantly, would this not class as harrasment??

how come they can sit watching the same bit of road?? constantly!!! it just smacks of a money making excersise..

oh and how many speed warning signs or speed limit sighns are in the area??

**** all

the sooner billy and his anti motorist policies are got rid of the better

vive la revolution!!!

M
Old 15 December 2004, 10:22 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

38 in a 30 was the verdict!

bum
Old 15 December 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Slow down, stop being such a dangerous lunatic!!!!!
Old 15 December 2004, 10:36 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Talking

Delepre, if you drive past Althorpe (a428) and keep driving in to town. It was down the hill past the football fields. 30 limit, and I think I was doing 40ish, before I spotted it, a couple of hundred meters away.

Oh well, I am not moaning, if I was speeding I was speeding, but to get caught 3 times in a year.....well since june is unlucky!

Dave[/QUOTE]

WooooOOOoOooooo. Go on the A34, then the B56785 then 3rd exit on the r/bout, past the brown fence and dead hedgehog.

WooooOOOOooooOOO-Hooohooohohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU OLD BOYZ!!!!!
Old 15 December 2004, 11:31 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gastro
You'll be surprised (unfortunately) - time to get an LRC-100 if you want to be driving in 2005.
Gastro
These don't offer any guarantees. Mine failed to work in South Wales the other week and as a result I'll soon be the proud owner of 6 points. Admittedly, my own fault but don't rely on these things.
Old 15 December 2004, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You might be lucky since your speed was not that fast and its Christmas!

Just seen a headline to say they want to charge £1.34p a mile once they get the satellite tracking system working. They are launching the satellite system soon they say. We wont be worried about fuel consumption any more soon!

Les
Old 15 December 2004, 12:04 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You might be lucky since your speed was not that fast and its Christmas!

Just seen a headline to say they want to charge £1.34p a mile once they get the satellite tracking system working. They are launching the satellite system soon they say. We wont be worried about fuel consumption any more soon!

Les
What's this satellite tracking thing????

Could you PM, or post on here some more detials please? I travel 100 miles day for work....
Old 15 December 2004, 12:39 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

www.pepipoo.com

Originally Posted by Send this off when you get your NIP
Dear Sir,

In response to your recent issue of a conditional offer of fixed penalty regarding an alleged motoring offence on……….dated, I would be obliged if you could supply me with the answers to my questions so I can correctly respond to your accusation:

1) Please provide details relating to the officer who loaded and activated the camera pertinent to this alleged offence.
2) I would like to see all the current training and procedure certificates for the said officer.
3) Please provide identification of actual equipment used to record the alleged offence.
4) I would like to see all maintenance and calibration records for the identified equipment.
5) I would like proper documentation that states that all calibration procedures for the actual site have been actioned accordingly and noted by the activating officer.
6) Please identify the exact location of the equipment used to record the alleged offence.
7) Please show that the vehicle named i.e.., MR5 5OUL was isolated in the field of view and not ‘shadowed’ by any other vehicle.
8) Please provide copies of actual photos of the alleged offence.
9) Please provide documentation that the site was totally suitable for this type of equipment and free from any type of contamination.
10) That the site fulfils any guidelines set down in legislation, i.e.., length of site, eight or more injury accidents in preceding three years ect.
11) That the visibility of the camera complies with all ACPO guidelines ect.
12) I would like a copy of the force’s procedures for the use of said equipment.

I would like this information as soon as possible in order for me to react correctly to your offer. I await your reply.

Yours faithfully.
Someone also said that there were no signs visible. This in itself can negate any charges, so worth doing a check on the net for the legal requirements, and then going down and photographing the location if fails to meet these.

Last edited by corradoboy; 15 December 2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 15 December 2004, 12:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi Davy boy

If you are up for a fight and a bit of fun then join http://www.pepipoo.com

There are several defences.

Andy

Merry christmas http://www.pepipoo.co.uk/files/final_99.swf

http://www.pepipoo.co.uk/files/PePiP...stmas_Card.swf

Last edited by andy97; 15 December 2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 15 December 2004, 08:40 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Corradoboy, if u follow that line, dont u just get yourself into more trouble? I dont think the police are obliged to give out any, if at all, information.
Old 15 December 2004, 09:03 PM
johnskelley
Scooby Regular

Angry

Too many people are holding their hands up to these offences.
In this country you should be innocent until proven guilty.
I wonder Just how legal it is to blackmail someone by saying that if you pay up quickly it will be less of a fine than if you delay payment, This tactic is coercing you into paying up without a fight. They dont care if you are guilty they want your money.
lets all start fighting these charges and create an administrative nightmare for them.
Old 15 December 2004, 11:08 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Hedgehog,

why do you repeatdly report the same tripe. Yes the girl was arrested for having a jammer on her boyfriends car that she drove through a speed trap, and as you know the device was confiscated, but what you seem to ignore is the jammer was returned and all charges dropped becuase at present there seems to be no case to answer.

Until the new laws or implemented and made clear exactly what they entail please leave people to make up their own minds.

And i still beleve the new law will have loopholes, the current aim seems to be at detectors and the main push on these was due to one model that is no longer sold interferring with sky analougue dishes the government are using this "interference" to push through that the detectors are damaging all sorts of equipment including speed cameras and guns and must be banned.
Old 16 December 2004, 12:37 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I did not say that people should not make up their own minds. Being arrested is not a totally insignificant event as it is a question that is often asked on official documentation, even if you were not charged. It also changes your position in relation to international travel to some countries etc.

People should, of course, make up their own minds. However, what they must understand is that it is the stated intention of the administration that laser and radar detectors are going to be made illegal and they are going to put the laws in place to bring this about. Currently there is no question that the situation is somewhat ambigious, though there are certainly laws which could be used to make the use of jammers very difficult, and this is the very reason why new laws will be brought into force. There will be no more loopholes because the law will be designed specifically to deal with the current loopholes and clearly to have a jammer you need a detector so jammers will become illegal as well, though some police forces might argue that they already are.

I also imagine that the arrival of a high profile new law "for the common good" will lead to the arrival of a high profile police clamp down on such devices. It is impossible to be sure of that but it would certainly follow the current trend for the persecution of motorists.

So unfortunately none of this is tripe: the administration have determined that radar and laser detectors are going to be illegal. Unless you can get yourself, and your party, elected before it happens then it seems likely that this will come to pass. If you run on a ticket of getting the administration off the backs of the motorist then I will certainly vote for you.
Old 16 December 2004, 01:06 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
What's this satellite tracking thing????

Could you PM, or post on here some more detials please? I travel 100 miles day for work....
This is a BIG question as there will be several technologies and systems all tied up together.

The bottom line is that the UK government, and those in other EU countries, want to start charging for road use on a per mile basis. Les saw a report indicating £1.34 per mile and I have seen others indicating that the charge would have a maximum of £1.45 per mile.

It is looking likely that satellite tracking will play some part in this as there is also a policy for the introduction of a thing called ISA which is Intelligent Speed Adaptation. This is a system whereby your car will hold a national map of speed limits and your car will not be able to exceed a given speed limit. You should note that there are plans for various sections of road to have limits much less than the "legal" limit if the administration considers them dangerous. So a road with lots of good bends and a 60mph limit might get a restriction of 20mph to allow for the "dangerous" bends. The mapping of the UK for this system will be complete by the end of September next year according to the relevant progress documents and Leeds University are currently running 20 cars as a pilot system.

This satellite system is also capable of recording your movements but the GPS satellite system only communicates one way i.e. it tells you where you are. The administration want a system that tells them where you are so they can charge you for your road use and keep an eye on your movements as you don't present your ID card to use your car but you will have to present it to use a bus or train.

There has been some discussion as to how this might happen but it is likely that the GPS data from your car will be uploaded in some manner. In some trial schemes this was done by modem. However, what is interesting is that the company who currently runs the M6 toll scheme has just bought all the NTL (i.e. ITV) transmitter sites. These sites can see 93% of the UK at present and so could be used to upload your "road use" data. This would solve a big problem as there was some discussion that the administration might have to put receivers by the road side to detect your car going past. Clearly this would be a big job that would mean the road charging system would take some years to get in place.

However, it is still likely that there will be some sort of RFID tag in your car, probably in the number plate, and that this may be scanned by a range of roadside devices for a range of reasons. Most likely this will be used as an "interlock" to ensure that you don't find some way to disable your GPS tracking system. So if your number plate tag passes a roadside detector but your GPS system shows your car as not moving then I would guess you will be liable to some form of enforcement.

The huge revenue stream from this system is likely to be a significant part of the justification for the EU navigation satellite system as clearly such a huge source of control and revenue couldn't be left solely in the control of the American GPS system. Anyone who saw the reports on this system during the last week might have noticed with interest that it was EU transport ministers who were on talking about it, not communications ministers or "space" ministers.

By and large this system is being driven by the current political system that wants to get drivers out of their cars. In turn this appears to be driven by a large and militant green and left wing lobby who have signifcant infulence in Europe and the UK. The maximum per mile charge is likely, at least initially, to only apply at peak times on busy roads in an effort to force you on to the bus or train. Charges will probably be less in rural areas or at off peak times but, of course, the charges themselves will modify car and road use and so will result in peak times and congested areas changing (perhaps the higher charges will change to apply to the roads around train stations where people park to catch the train into town for example) and so the administration will still make yet more cash from the motorist while the green nutters will be over the moon at our continued persecution.
Old 16 December 2004, 07:14 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

This is a terrible scenario, I think that if these things get introduced there will be massive civil disobedience.

Count me in on the disobedience .......
Old 16 December 2004, 08:59 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by r32
Count me in on the disobedience .......
ME TOO !!!

I fear if this comes to pass, that I will have to submit, hang up my keys and deny the b@stards any revenue at all.

After a big, messy, expensive fight, that is Roll on the election. So, is there a viable alternative
Old 16 December 2004, 11:02 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I got to be honest, I do a relatively small 40 mile round trip to work every day, at peak times through heavy congestion. If I had to pay the bigger chunk of £60 for the priviledge, A DAY, I'd simply not bother going. I'd get myself laid off and sign on because what was left from a day's wage after that, petrol, parking and wear and tear, etc. wouldn't be worth having. I don't see how that would benefit any government because I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who felt like that.
Old 16 December 2004, 11:24 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

In connection with this the following press release came from Norwich Union on 14 Dec 2004, I know some people still don't believe this is going to happen but by now you need your head pretty far in the sand not to see it coming:

"Norwich Union recently appointed Andy Keane as motor underwriting manager for its commercial motor and motor fleet business. Mr Keane was promoted to the position from his previous role as senior motor underwriter.

He says telematics will be a core focus of his job, following Norwich Union's recent launch of the UK's first fleet insurance product based on telematics technology: "The continuous development of telematics over the next few years makes motor insurance a very interesting sector to be involved in. Following our successful pilot, we are aiming to increase our understanding to offer our customers even more bespoke risk management advice in the future."

In case you missed it what is being said is that they want to use GPS tracking systems to determine your insurance. As I have said in previous postings I believe that the insurance companies will introduce GPS tracking and control systems before the goverment make it a legal requirement. It is likely that they will initially be fitted to fleet and "performance" cars to ensure that they don't break speed limits or go too quickly around "dangerous" corners. Currently it is hard to determine the precise timescale for this but I would guess that many of us driving performance Subarus or modified cars are probably only about 2 more insurance renewals away from having to have one of these devices fitted to get insurance.

I would guess that this is also why they are clamping down on uninsured drivers: not to catch the chavs and crims but to ensure that those of us who are going to have to be part of the tracking experiment in order to get insurance comply with all their demands.

In terms of Jap2Scrap's question the honest answer is that I don't know. I think we must consider this in terms of a political action based upon pressure from the greens to get you and I out of our cars. I suspect they will have a plan which will be based upon changing vehicle use that will still ensure their income, remember the motorist already gives them in the region of £40 billion per year of which only 6 billion goes back into transport. However, the whole point of this is that you will give up your car and that many people will move to the bus or train while needing the car for long distance or rural trips. Like you I just can't see how the economics of this will work but then the green nutters always have wanted to take the country back to the stone age so perhaps this works for them.
Old 16 December 2004, 11:27 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure they don't want us ALL out of our cars, but they certainly want some out to try and ease the congestion caused not by there being too many cars, but too many people on this paltry little island. I don't think our government would last very long if everybody suddenly parked up and forgot they had a car. Even if we did for one day, the financial repercussions would sting quite a bit. We all know how @rsey they get if you don't pay your £65 speeding fine, imagine how they'd feel if all 28m+ cars didn't use any petrol for just one day. You could argue that any journey forgone on that day of action would be made another day, but many social journeys wouldn't. Thatcher was in office too long, thought she could do anything she wanted and we got rid of her. I think Tony's time is up, not that the alternatives are much better, but sometimes a change is good even when not for all the right reasons. There isn't a single party out there who represents what I want from a government, but I shall not waste my vote, but simply apply it to the next best solution (whatever that is )

Quick Reply: Speed Camera vans