Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Signed off with Hypertension!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2005, 06:52 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signed off with Hypertension!!!!!

Hi All

Went to doctors with a pounding headache on Tuesday(I do suffer from mograine but this was different),he did all the usual checks and then signed me off for 2 weeks with hypertension(high blood pressure),saying immediate treatment was needed , he's put me on tablets and Ive had blood test and urine samples taken. I get results Monday and I'm getting worried about whats going to happen, still got the headache although not as bad. Any of you scoobynetters suffered with this??

My boss is none too happy, I work for a small company with only a handful of people, I feel I'm letting them down, but my health comes first.

Last edited by BigRed; 27 January 2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 27 January 2005, 06:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i dont have time to be sick, prefer to sweat out all illness with a headdive into sum work

never heard of hypertension, can you go back in time like in startrek?
Old 27 January 2005, 07:03 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Hypertension is another word for high blood pressure, imagine your head feels like it's going to explode then your somewhere near what it feels like, oh, and it also makes me feel very ratty and feels like your going mad.
Old 27 January 2005, 07:06 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

after i have taken loads of drugs and went clubbing i sumtimes feel like that

one mans pain is another mans pleasure
Old 27 January 2005, 07:13 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Well mate I feel like this without any drugs and I don't find it that funny, now if I'd been out and got totally bladdered I may expect to feel this way. Also I can't touch any alcohol now because of the stupid tablets i'm on
Old 27 January 2005, 07:23 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

filterd water is your friend
Old 27 January 2005, 07:29 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Mate I drink bottled water, not the crap from the tap!!!
Old 27 January 2005, 07:30 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

High blood pressure alone usually carries no symptoms at all of its own, and in many cases there's no particular identifiable cause either. The blood and urine tests are as much to check that it's not caused any damage, as they are to find out what's causing your hypertension in the first place. There's plenty of info out there on the web, do have a read.

Is your job or home life particularly stressful? I suffered a very traumatic event at work a couple of years ago which triggered terrible headaches, but after a couple of weeks they simply went away. I've had other symptoms too which have simply disappeared after being checked out by a doctor and told there's nothing physically wrong. Worrying about medical conditions really can make them worse.

My advice would be to let your doctor look after you. If there is an underlying physical condition, at least you know about it and can get it treated - and if there isn't, a little rest & relaxation can work wonders.

PM if you want a chat.
Old 27 January 2005, 08:08 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Big Red,
Hypertension is very common and becomes more common the older you get
The blood and urine tests are mainly to make sure there is no underlying cause for the HT. It is uncommon for there to be an underlying cause(<5%) and therefore you probably have something called essential HT.
The most important thing is to control it as it has been shown without doubt that uncontrolled HT will increase chances of heart attacks,strokes etc.
Your Dr may have to try a number of different drugs maybe in combination to control it. Almost all the drugs used have a very good side effect profile so d'ont worry.
Once controlled should cause you no real hassle or long term probs
If it applies to you; lose weight,take some exercise,cut down excessive alcohol intake and stop smoking.
ps I'm qualified to comment on above matters.

Good luck and d'ont worry about it too much its very common.

pps how old are you?
Old 27 January 2005, 09:22 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by AndyC_772

I suffered a very traumatic event at work a couple of years ago which triggered terrible headaches, but after a couple of weeks they simply went away. I've had other symptoms too which have simply disappeared after being checked out by a doctor and told there's nothing physically wrong. Worrying about medical conditions really can make them worse.

My advice would be to let your doctor look after you. If there is an underlying physical condition, at least you know about it and can get it treated - and if there isn't, a little rest & relaxation can work wonders.

PM if you want a chat.
Blimey, this sounds like a carbon copy of me. Had to have my dog put down a couple of weeks ago and I've never felt so I'll in my life with all the stress and underlying high BP I'd been suffering with. Was getting all sorts of weird pains in my head and am now on even stronger BP tablets. Not good. Have had all the blood and urine tests plus ECG and chest xrays but all fine. Fortunately I am very fit (gym 4 times a week) and dont drink or smoke but doc signed me off and am gradually starting to feel better.
Old 28 January 2005, 10:18 AM
Distinguished Gentleman
Scooby Regular

BigRed, you've had some good advice from AndyC and DeepSingh already.

I had a knee op in Sept 2003, but when I was laid on the slab being prepared, they discovered that my blood pressure was dangerously high (too high to wield the knife). Fortunatly they managed to get it down and do the op. Afterwards the surgeon told me, in no uncertain terms, to get it sorted (or keel over!). He said that high blood pressure carried no symptoms or warnings. However, 17 months later I'm still here (sorry scoobychick!). I take 2 pills every morning, and it is under control. So don't panic and trust your GP.

DG
Old 28 January 2005, 11:54 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

I no that my docs will sort this out, had a very stressful run upto christmas at work(usual stupid deadlines ETC)so that is probably the cause. Also I do suffer from migraines on a regualr basis, I read elsewere on the web that migraine can have an effect on blood pressure??

I'm feeling a little better today, head is not as strange as yesterday and I'm becoming like I feel human again, must be the tablets!!!
Old 28 January 2005, 12:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had highish blood pressure before I was diagnosed as requiring bypass surgery. I was on pills to control that and also Statins to reduce cholesterol. The pills sorted it and after the op my BP is right down to teenager level and my cholesterol is very low.

The previous advice you have had is spot on. Your weight and diet have a huge effect on this sort of thing too.

Sorry to hear about the migraines, there is a fix for that similar to an angioplasty if that is causing them.

Les