Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Child trailers for bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2005, 12:07 AM
TheBigMan!!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child trailers for bicycles

Anyone got a child trailer for their bicycle? Not the 'ride-on' type, but the ones where 1 or 2 kids sit in an enclosed tent type thing.

What model do you use/recommend?
Anyone selling one?
Most seem to attach onto the nearside rear triangle just in front of the rear axle. Does having disc brakes affect this mounting?
Old 01 May 2005, 12:31 AM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Aint got one and don't know anyone who has, but seen them and don't think i'd wanna risk my kids on the back of a bike this way unless cycle paths prolifent in your area?
Old 01 May 2005, 01:01 AM
TheBigMan!!
Scooby Regular

Sorry, should add that it would only be used on paths around our area. Lots & lots of them. Wouldn't trust it on the road. FAR too vulnerable.
Old 01 May 2005, 01:33 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have one.

we go out with the 9 year old on her bike and the 4 and 2 year old ride in the bugy.

its great, doesnt add too much weight the bike (that you notice) and the kids like it.

best on a cycle path.....my 1hr ride is half path and half rough track.......on bumpy ground you can tell you have the extra weight but no big deal really.

if i skip a cardio day in the gym i take the 9 year old out at full speed...she yells NO PAIN at me Rocky stylee while we scream round the fields!

T

should add.....wife has a baby seat on the back of her bike which is only for the 2 year old when the others are at school....the bugy is FAR safer than those......i have had some spills on the bike with the bugy and the thing is uneffected by the bike crashing.......do that with a baby seat and you'd be in trouble.

Last edited by Tiggs; 01 May 2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01 May 2005, 08:42 AM
TheBigMan!!
Scooby Regular

Can you tell me which make & model you have?
Old 01 May 2005, 11:57 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

its a Raleigh....not sure of the model but i have seen the same buggy branded by another make so i assume Raleigh by them in and rebadge.

things to look for:

we chose it because-

It has bits of metal that stick out from the fron to act as bash bars prior to the wheels - i have seen some where there is no such protection. I have (a few times) gone too close to tree/lampost and the bash bar has taken a clout but the wheel is fine - with no bar the wheel would hit the object and you are going over the bars!
its even more important when you turn.....turn to close to the thing you ride past and the buggy wheels will clip it- without some sort of bar in front of them.

NO HANDLE - some models have a handle and spare wheel to turn it into a pushchair- dont bother, useless extra weight and it would be a HUGE push chair!

windscreen.....most have them but check- you need a mesh screen and a plastic one.
plastic for the rain, mesh for no rain- you CANT ride without the mesh down as stones will come off your tyre and smack kids in the head (as my eldest discovered on the test flight!

T
Old 01 May 2005, 12:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=98932

thats it, we paid £50 but had just spent £900 on bikes!
Old 01 May 2005, 01:18 PM
TheBigMan!!
Scooby Regular

OK....cheers for that - that's one of the ones I was looking at.
Think it is made by a company called Philips (not the electronics firm!).

Just now need to email one of these sellers to see if they know whether the universal fitting will be ok with my rear disc brake....disc runs quite close to the nearside chainstay, so need to ask.
Old 01 May 2005, 04:02 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have a rear disk....it fits ok but there are two possible issues:

the bracket needs to sit further forward than normal to miss the disk...this is fine but if you have big feet you may find your heel hits the bracket - i have size 10's and toe clips so my heel runs close to it, but not an issue for me.

the other thing is if the bracket isnt VERY tight it slips back down the frame...not an issue normally but with your bike the bracket will rub the disk (you only spot this when you wonder why it feels like you are dragging 25 dtone behind you!)

i am making a permanant bracket to go on the frame just past where the normal one does so the normal one cant slid down the tube when its on.

although its only when im off road the bracket slips...commbo of big bumps and water being splashed on the bracket makes it slip over time (in a 1hr ride i need to tighten it 2 - 3 times max....never an issue on cycle paths or in the dry)