Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hire car in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2005, 12:38 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hire car in Canada

G/F and I are going to Canada for our hols and need to hire a car for 2/3 days. Don't want a basic car as a few hours driving will be done. Had a little search and am thinking either a)comfy/lux, b)big 4wd and go off beaten track or c)sporty. Now found for a reasonable cost a MUSTANG conv but only has the 210bhp V6 not the V8 but the idea sounds good. Anyone know of places that would hire the V8 out? or something else RWD and V8 and who rents them out? Max £50 p/day.
Old 01 May 2005, 02:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

50 = aprox 120 dollars, so that's a very good daily rate.

Do a web search for canadian rental places for Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, Budget, and Thrifty.

Am sure if you ask they may well be able to get the Mustang for you.
Old 01 May 2005, 02:56 PM
bashful
Scooby Regular

Dracoro,

A friendly word of warning. I live here in Canada (Niagara Falls - wave if you're passing), and believe me, you *don't* want a fast hire car. Canadians drive a *lot* slower that we do; the speed limit on the equivalent to a motorway is 100-110 kmh, between 60-70 mph, and if you do more than about 120kmh you'll attract attention.

Also, I've driven the V6 and the V8 Mustang, and unless you're going to drag race everyone off the lights, you won't really notice the difference.

Hire a V6, cruise, and enjoy Canada. When you get home, compare the ride of the Mustang to anything in Europe and be glad you're European...
Old 01 May 2005, 03:20 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Fair do's. Not out for 'fast' driving, just liked the idea of a burbling V8 and something to get the back end out of where appropriate Doing Toronto, the falls and some wilderness too so wave if you see some mustang with the back hanging out in July
Old 01 May 2005, 07:57 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Make sure you get insurance. Because insurance works differently here, hire car insurance is optional.

I know Budget do Mustangs, even if they are only the V6. From a quick search, they seemed to be the only one doing anything remotely sporty (in North American terms).

As bashful said, people drive much slower here, so don't go too crazy on the motorways (highways). Almost everyone drives at 110-120kph, but much over that, and the highway cops will be definitely pull you over. Having said that, I hardly ever see any traffic police on the 401 between Toronto and London. Even their unmarked cars are super easy to spot. Also, be very wary of people pulling in front of you on the highway (especially Americans who must get their driving licences from inside a Cornflakes packet - tossers). Regardless of how fast you are going, or how close you are, they will pull out in front of you. Expect to be tailgated far worse than even the most impatient rep would dare in the UK.

Have a safe trip.
Old 03 May 2005, 09:32 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bashful
Dracoro,

Canadians drive a *lot* slower that we do; the speed limit on the equivalent to a motorway is 100-110 kmh, between 60-70 mph, and if you do more than about 120kmh you'll attract attention.
don't i know it - was driving between thunder bay and toronto and was stopped for alleged speeding. size of a UK driving licence was obviously too much to deal with so he went for doughnuts and advised me to slow down...
Old 04 May 2005, 03:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Bashful,
I'll have to wave next time I'm down that way (g/f's parents live in Port Dahallouise)

Jerome - hmm, I'm getting flashbacks to last night

I echo everything Jerome says, they're a mad bunch out here

Richardg - Thunder bay to TO, eek, that's a looooooong drive. Reminds me, must dig out the UK licence and carry it with me
Old 04 May 2005, 03:51 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Bashful,
I'll have to wave next time I'm down that way (g/f's parents live in Port Dahallouise)

Jerome - hmm, I'm getting flashbacks to last night

I echo everything Jerome says, they're a mad bunch out here

Richardg - Thunder bay to TO, eek, that's a looooooong drive. Reminds me, must dig out the UK licence and carry it with me
Haha, you remembered our conversation about this last night then.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:52 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

my aunt and uncle live in thunder bay and some of my cousins have moved to toronto (among other places). as there were a few of us and my cousin works in the film industry we had free tansport so was cheaper than flying. pretty boring journey really, especially as you can't sleep too well when its your turn to be passenger for a while and the car is sliding all over the place in the snow!