Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can you buy cat jelly anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2005, 03:01 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you buy cat jelly anywhere?

I know that sounds rude, but our cat keeps asking for food, then just eating the jelly off it and leaving the meat, presumably because he's thirsty and too stupid to figure out what the bowl of water is for.

This means a lot of wasted food which I don't like. Can you get just the jelly from somewhere so we can keep that topped up without wasting the meat?
Old 01 May 2005, 03:09 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

AFAIK Its just regular aspic jelly. Which you can buy at a supermarket.
astraboy.
Old 01 May 2005, 03:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I wonder if he's (she's) craving something IN the jelly?

Perhaps a visit to a vet might be in order?

Alcazar
Old 01 May 2005, 04:29 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Probably down to the change in weather. Ours tend to lick off the gravy from their cat food, leaving the chunks, but it stays there and when they become hungry, they'll eat the chunks as well.

There's always a bowl of dry food and a bowl of water down as well.

OR it might be that they've just gone off whichever cat food you're giving them. Ours used to love Kit-e-Kat but now they won't touch the stuff if it goes into the bowl. There could be a full pouch in the bowl and they'd be miaouing for something else. I even left it under the notion that they would eat when they're hungry, but they just ate the dry food instead and ignored the pouch food until it needed to be thrown away.

Try changing varieties or textures and see if that helps.
Old 01 May 2005, 05:06 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

We've tried various other food and he's not keen so far, also he was doing this before it got warm.
Old 01 May 2005, 11:26 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Toothache? How old is your cat? It could be that he can't eat properly and the jelly is satisfying the hunger while not having to chew anything.
Old 01 May 2005, 11:56 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

He eats the meat eventually, and if you give him raw fish it gets eaten fast enough. He also loves to chew his grooming brush, cat toys, my headphone cable etc. so I think he teeth are ok.

(My GF made a cat toy by tying a knot in the end of some green electrical wire and dangling it from a stick for him to chase. He has now decided that moving cables are chewable and thus attacks my headphones whenever I'm wearing them, he also seems to like mobile phone chargers)

Trending Topics

Old 02 May 2005, 12:10 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

one of my cats is a fussy fcucker, *somebody* kept giving him tuna. Now he just turns his nose up at the buscuits, if he doesent eat em he can starve for me,I'm not being badgered into something by a bloody cat .
Old 02 May 2005, 12:20 AM
ron_jon
Scooby Regular

Here, here chips n gravy. If the little ****** is too fussy let the ****** starve. When they are hungry enough they will eat or hunt.....

Dont be so soft.........
Old 02 May 2005, 02:25 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

According to my cat's vet, cats shouldn't be eating "soft" food - they should be fed on the dry crunchie stuff until their teeth fall out from old age.

Maybe you should try making some feline vodka jelly. Might put him off it for life (or make him an alcofrolic).
Old 02 May 2005, 08:54 AM
A&E
Scooby Regular

Ours do exactly the same - if we give them the choice they just lick off the jelly and leave the rest. We just feed them dry food now - much cleaner too!!
Old 02 May 2005, 10:55 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Why not make your own cat jelly ?
Take 2 cats - skin them with a sharp knife and take off as much of the flesh as you can. Put the bones in a large pan with just enough water to cover and boil for approx 2 hours until the liquid has reduced to a jelly like consistency. Leave to cool for 1 hour and place in the fridge until set...

Old 02 May 2005, 01:12 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

He wont touch dry food (and yes someone does keep giving him tuna!) but I'm wondering where he will get water from if he's fed dry food?
Old 02 May 2005, 01:48 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

The bowl of water next to the dry food?
Old 02 May 2005, 01:52 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

LOL
Old 02 May 2005, 09:16 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

Please take him to the vets asap!

We lost a cat to something the vet called (excuse my spelling) Spastic Colon. We first noticed that he wasn't eating but just licking off the jelly. He was struggling to do number two's and lost quite a lot of weight. I don't want to worry you but we had to have him put to sleep. Please get him checked out and hopefully he's just being fussy, like cats usually are.

Let us know how he is,

Thanks.
Old 02 May 2005, 09:53 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Mine has only eaten the jelly off his food for years, only eating the meat if absolutely necessary. He lost a lot of weight and was taken to the vet to have his teeth cleaned, which didnt help one iota. I tried not giving him anything else, for days at a time but it was always me that gave in first. In desperation, i tried him on felix as good as it looks and now he eats like a horse. In fact he wont eat anything else.

I would try different foods to see if any are to his taste and stick with it. He will come round soon i'm sure. Keep us updated
Old 03 May 2005, 03:56 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I can assure you that he has no trouble doing number twos, he also has a good sense of timing with them*

He's now shrinking either, quite the opposite, he's grown a lot since we got him from the previous owner, though I'm beginning to wonder how well he used to be looked after (very small for age, didn't like to play, didn't even know how to. Didn't know how to groom himself either)

He eats the meat eventually if he's hungry enough, so I think he's just being a fussy bugger.

* His litter tray is in the tiny bit of cupboard under stairs along with the electricity meter. We've been having trouble with powergen since an incompetent meter reader accidentally added 10,000 units to our reading. They sent the same reader around to re-read it and just as we're letting him in, cat does the most enormous **** just as the meter reader is opening the door wider to stick his head in. Comes back out, holds breath and has another go at reading it. Well worth the hassle with the billing for that moment.