Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Online poker.

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2005, 04:48 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online poker.

I have recently discovered it .. today actually, only the practice games, not for real money ..

And it's quite addictive.

However, I am losing more than I have been winning.

I understand the the game at the table, call, raise, check, fold etc and I understand that I am looking for the best hand of cards.

however..

can someone explaine the best methods of looking for the highest value when all the community cards are on the table and you have the two cards that you were dealt .. does that make sence?

saxo boy?

please.

ta.
Old 01 May 2005, 05:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The way to win at poker generally is to play a tight-aggressive style. Firstly you must limit the hands you play at all (boring yes, effective yes). That means you play the best hands only like AA,KK,QQ,AK, etc and ditch junk like A6o,J3s, etc, etc. Aggressive means that you take charge of pots and play them on your terms. Playing this way you will fold a lot but when you do play you'll play a good hand strongly by betting and raising. Don't bet or raise blindly - back down if someone plays back and you don't have much but when you do have a real hand bet it hard. The edge you make is that you don't p!ss away money calling or playing poor hands and you take advantage of making other people pay over the money to look you up when you have a strong hand. This basic principle makes you money at the start. The key thing is disapline - fold when you are beat, fold when you have w@nk cards and bet when you are tempted to slowplay (it just aint worth it).

Read www.thepokerforum.com for more tips (see the articles section and the forum)
Old 01 May 2005, 06:18 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

The other thing to be careful of is that people don't play the same when its on practice or token tables. They tend to go with sh%t cards just to be involved. When you start playing for real cash you'll then wonder why you don't have any
Old 01 May 2005, 06:23 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
The way to win at poker generally is to play a tight-aggressive style. Firstly you must limit the hands you play at all (boring yes, effective yes). That means you play the best hands only like AA,KK,QQ,AK, etc and ditch junk like A6o,J3s, etc, etc. Aggressive means that you take charge of pots and play them on your terms. Playing this way you will fold a lot but when you do play you'll play a good hand strongly by betting and raising. Don't bet or raise blindly - back down if someone plays back and you don't have much but when you do have a real hand bet it hard. The edge you make is that you don't p!ss away money calling or playing poor hands and you take advantage of making other people pay over the money to look you up when you have a strong hand. This basic principle makes you money at the start. The key thing is disapline - fold when you are beat, fold when you have w@nk cards and bet when you are tempted to slowplay (it just aint worth it).

Read www.thepokerforum.com for more tips (see the articles section and the forum)
cheers mate sounds like good advice
Old 01 May 2005, 07:55 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

[QUOTEThat means you play the best hands only like AA,KK,QQ,AK][/QUOTE]

but how often do those hands come up?
i remember tiggs giving the same advice in the last poker thread and i followed it, not once in 109 games did i get those cards?
how often do you get them?
Old 01 May 2005, 09:50 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

I try to play as many pots as possible, depending on how much it costs me to see the flop. High cards, pairs, both cards same suit or connected (eg 9,10) or both, Ill play with. Play more hands, more chance of winning. Ive held 10,5 in my hand, hit 10,10,5 on the flop. Need good combination of skill luck and ***** to be a good player IMO.
I only play on small tables £1/£2 limit, trick is not to play all night, get in play a few hands, win a couple walk away. I do this most nights and it works, aim to win between £10-20 a night, sometimes Ill hit a big pot and may win more, won £90 in about 15 mins one night. This is where it becomes hard to walk away, you think you luck will last all night! Trust me it wont.
£10-20 may not seem much but over a month soon adds up. Sometimes watch the £150/£300 games, pots get up to £2000!!! Those guys must have ***** of steel or more money than sense.
What site do you play on, I use william hill, may see you on there one night.
Old 01 May 2005, 09:54 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I have heard from a friend that you can make quite a bit of money off games involving drunk Americans, playing them on Fri/Sat night US time. :-)

Trending Topics

Old 01 May 2005, 10:50 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"I only play on small tables £1/£2 limit, trick is not to play all night, get in play a few hands, win a couple walk away."

hardly the way to make a consistent profit though!

i play semi pro now (in that i work only half hours on my normal job to allow for poker)......the only way to make proper money is to put in the hours.

T
Old 02 May 2005, 01:14 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Double D it isn't restricted just to those hands I said, etc. I'll happily play a relatively large number of hands in the correct circumstances. I'll raise with far weaker cards than I'll call with. Generally new people to the game should be ultra-tight until they figure out position and all the other elements of poker.
Old 02 May 2005, 09:07 AM
blueone
Scooby Regular

Which version do you play. I had a look and there are so many different sets of rules. I have been watching it late night on the telly, so what version do they play? Is there somewhere I can play for free without downloading any software?
Old 02 May 2005, 09:18 AM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueone
Which version do you play. I had a look and there are so many different sets of rules. I have been watching it late night on the telly, so what version do they play? Is there somewhere I can play for free without downloading any software?
Well, I have been playing the 'texas hold em' game, which seems the most popular by far.

http://www.pacificpoker.com/

You can download the table from there.
there's loads of other site also....
Old 02 May 2005, 09:18 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The usually play No-limit texas holdem on the TV. Each player gets two 'hole' cards that only they see and then a flop of 3 community cards is dealt, then one turn card and finally one river card. You make the best hand you can from the 5 cards available to everyone on the board using (or perhaps not) either or both of your hole cards.
Old 02 May 2005, 09:45 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Omaha hi/lo is the one to learn......holdem is for tourneys and fish.

The bottom line with poker is that the game is like a giant lottery where the best players are Camalot! You go online and you are up against EXPERTS...and i mean EXPERTS, you play against people that live the game ...have read every book....study ever possibility.....and you play to take money of them!???!!!

The odds are against anyone who isnt VERY good at maths and LEARNS the game.....which takes years. Most players loose money...AT EVERY LEVEL!!! When you see the pro make £1mill in a WPT game you dont see his £300k buy ins to games that year and £2m looses on the cash tables! There are LOTS of broke big name pros.

I took about 6 months off work to play/study the game all day every day....8 hrs a day + and also play live 2-3 times a week......after that i started to play proper and still find when i play against a decent pro that i am years behind them.

If anyone asked for my advice on whether to play to make money i would say its like saying you have seen David Beckham makes lots so you are gonna start playing footie!

T

should add.....anyone who reads this and thinks "there cant be experts on my $1 $2 table".......first there prob are some experts there...jthey are just broke kids! and second...no one makes a living at micro limit holdem so play for fun and enjoy it, just dont fall into the "i can play" trap and start playing $5/ $10 + thinking its the same guys!

Last edited by Tiggs; 02 May 2005 at 09:48 AM.