Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

pet rabbit - kept indoors ??

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2005, 09:14 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pet rabbit - kept indoors ??

Young son wants to get a pet rabbit, no probs with this just wonder if anyone who has one could offer a little advice on some off the following questions I have on them ??

1/ how easy are they to train to be litter box trained ?? want to keep the rabbit indoors - anything I should think about in keeping the rabbit this way ??

2/ how long do they normally live ??

3/ pet dog - lab - collie x- 11 years off age and very docile - likely to be any probs between the two ??!!

4/ kept indoors how keen would be they do try escape to the great outdoors ??!!

5/ is a normal pet shop run off the mill type rabbit about the best type you can get compatabilty with children / dogs ??

thats it !! any advice would be much apprecaited !!
Old 01 May 2005, 09:18 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rabbits are very easy to house train, the only problem is they will chew wires and stuff.
if kept loose in a garden they will get out unless you sink a fence into the ground to stop them burrowing out.
a cat or fox could get it though

they live for about 5 years depending on the breed (can be much longer)

if you need to carry a rabbit have the head sort of under your arm, or they will struggle.
if you do not handle them enough they will become agressive.
if its a male get it neutered , makes them more docile

dogs may be a bit funny with a new member, after all they are something to chase
if its lonely get a guinnie pig they are good together
my dad used to breed rabbitsHTH

Last edited by sarasquares; 01 May 2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01 May 2005, 10:16 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

1)we use a baking tray filled with cat littter. it sort of uses it when it feels like. though sometimes it just sh*ts where it likes. cant really train it cos its dumb. our lived inside over winter, but its not ideal since the indoor cages arent big at all.
2)7-9 years is my guess
3) try to avoid feeding the dog rabbit and heart flavoured dog food
4)we lets our run around the garden on its own no problems
5) pet shop is fine. get a bold one that isnt shy and runs away from you as they are generally friendlier to people

Overall id say get a guinea pig
They are cuter and much smaller (which means les sh*t and P8ss everywhere and less smell)
You be amazed how big rabbits grow. Our was tiny and cute. now its a beast
Also pigs live for less years 4odd
Old 01 May 2005, 10:21 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Get a guinea pig ours lived for 6 years
Old 01 May 2005, 10:22 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

If it's gonna be living in the house without a cage i would say French lop (bigger than a cat). They are very suited to house bunnies.

All wires will need trunking as they love them. When mine were young they tried to chew the wallpaper but are fine now!

Head over to http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8
Old 01 May 2005, 10:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

when the cold weather came my lass insisted we took the rabbit from the garden and put her in the shed till it was warmer, after a short time the shed began to really smell due to the rabbit, i can imagine this being the same if it were in your house they normally live in holes so why not let it sleep outside
Old 01 May 2005, 10:40 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

It doesnt smell at all if u cleaned their toilet every day. The most smell you get is the hay !
Old 01 May 2005, 10:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i had a mate with a pet rabbit in the house...disgusting! house stunk of hay...smelt like a stable!
Old 01 May 2005, 11:18 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Young son wants to get a pet rabbit, no probs with this just wonder if anyone who has one could offer a little advice on some off the following questions I have on them ??

1/ how easy are they to train to be litter box trained ?? want to keep the rabbit indoors - anything I should think about in keeping the rabbit this way ??

- Why do you want to keep the pet indoors? Bear in mind that occasionally they will spin round as they urinate, so the wee goes EVERYwhere. It's a form of marking their territory. Female rabbits can have phantom pregnancies, whereby they will become aggressive and not allow anyone near them while they build their nests which includes pulling out their own fur from their chests & tummies.

That said, as long as you keep their area clean, they will use a litter box very easily. However, they are not prone to solely using the litter box and will drop and go. They also excrete a first squashy poo which they eat again and that becomes the hard pellet that you see. The squashy poo normally does not get seen, but occasionally they won't eat it. It looks like a small bunch of grapes.

Cables have already been covered - they will chew them. Wires, door frames, cabinets...everything and anything to help keep their teeth down.

2/ how long do they normally live ??

- Approx 6 years, depending on the breed.

3/ pet dog - lab - collie x- 11 years off age and very docile - likely to be any probs between the two ??!!

- Possibly not, although the new rabbit could be seen as a fun chase / chew toy. The rabbit could also turn on the dog and bite its ears, tail or legs.

4/ kept indoors how keen would be they do try escape to the great outdoors ??!!

- As keen as any other rabbit to explore new surroundings. If you leave a door open, they'll be outside.

5/ is a normal pet shop run off the mill type rabbit about the best type you can get compatabilty with children / dogs ??

- Best thing would be to get a young rabbit that is from a reputable pet shop that handles their pets regularly. Most just get them in, put them in a run and don't have any day to day dealings with them. It makes training / accustomising them to human contact that much more difficult.

thats it !! any advice would be much apprecaited !![/QUOTE]

- Other advice - make sure that the rabbit has a "home" to go to in order to ensure it feels safe.

-They are sociable animals and love contact, either of other rabbits or humans. SOME rabbits do not like human contact. Don't get a guinea pig as its companion as they each carry the other's worst diseases.

- They will need their teeth and claws checking regularly. One of my rabbits has been fine for just over 14 months and now suddenly his teeth grow at an extraordinary rate and need burring at the vets almost every 6 weeks.

A variety of foods will be most beneficial to it - include hay and / or grass. Don't feed them too much greenery as this can lead to diarrhoea.
Old 01 May 2005, 11:36 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Not had mine spraying round. Then again they were both neutered as soon as old enough, and they don't tend to use litter tray they got back to the toilet box in their cage.

This is their day-cage (or where they go when i am not about):

Andy
Old 02 May 2005, 03:06 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

A friend of a friend has a number of rabits living in her home. They live in a cage that was originally for dogs. Similar to the ones above but a bit bigger.

First pet i ever had was a rabbit. Visious lil ****** it was too, went for everyone except me. My mam still has scars on her ankles from where it bit her.

Behind my house there used to be until recently alot of fields. During the day me mam would let the rabbit out, (probably hopeing it wouldnt come back to bite her) it would be gone a couple of hours then wander back into the house through the patio doors.

It used to sleep in a hutch me dad made in the garage, but pretty much had the run of the house when it wanted it. I cant really remember it doing any of its buisness in the house.

Eventually my parents got sick of it biting them and gave it to me uncle to look after wile we went on holiday, we never did go to pick it up when we got home.

Strange pet it was, more like a cat or a dog. I think it had a few run ins with cats and dogs aswell, he was never he one the ended up worse off.
Old 02 May 2005, 12:41 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Bob - could you make your own run? It's often cheaper than getting those tiny shop-bought things.

We made ours with chicken wire and fence posts. It's about 5.5' wide by 14' long. we buried the chicken wire about an inch underground and then strung it round the fence posts. A double height of chicken wire means they can bounce about, jump, run and all sorts without getting out. We get in by means of a gate attached between the exisiting fence and a fence post that we put in. There are 4 rabbits living in that with 2 hutches and it's miles better for them than the "biggest" run we found at shops like Pets @ Home.
Old 02 May 2005, 01:52 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

My sis has 2 pet rabbits which now live in doors, but also have the run of the back garden. They use a cat-style litter tray in the corner or the room, but it does need changing everyday to keep clean.

Theyre both males and used to fight until they were both neutered - now theyre best mates, and wash each other and stuff. Quite good fun pets, they'll come and lie down in the front of the room when youre watching TV, and tear around the garden sometimes at surprising speed! You can sit down and stroke them, and theyre wash you and stuff!

They do need attention tho, not pets u just buy and stick in a cage. And yes they chew everything, sofa, wires, newspapers - you need to be prepared to put up with this.
Old 02 May 2005, 02:43 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks so much to all who have taken the time to reply to my questions, some very good advice there and it has certainly opened my eyes to what I may encounter with my new " lodger " !!!

bit concerned about the possiblties off the rabbit bitting the poor dogs ears etc!! not sure she would take too kindly to this ?!!!!!!!!!

will let you know how I get on, but again thanks to all who offered advice it was appreciatted.

cheers,
john
Old 02 May 2005, 06:34 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I get mine vaccinated against both vhd and mixi, for peace of mind.

B2S, can I ask why you haven't neutured the other male? Would calm things down a bit more!
Old 02 May 2005, 06:57 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

An ex of mine used to have a rabbit which she kept indoors. It was a dwarf of somesort and was quite small. It lived in a cage while she was out or asleep and had the run of the flat while she was in. It was an ace wee thing, very friendly, although it could be a bit selective about who it befriended. It used to crap wherever it wanted really, but she would just hoover them up. The flat never smelled bad. It chewed the carpet to hell, but didnt bother much with the furniture. It loved wires though. The odd 240v jolt didnt seem to do it any harm either, surprisingly.

My older sister recently was given a rabbit of the same type. She already has a dog (random mongrel) and they got on great. The dog is very, very gentle anyway, but quite exciteable. when first introduced, the dog chased the rabbit all round the room, not running, just at a casual pace as the rabbit explored.
The dog would happily chase the rabbit for hours. we thought this would annoy/exhaust the rabbit, until the rabbit turned round and chased the dog for hours. they loved it. Proved to be a right pain with them both always on the go around the room though! The dog would never tire of the game but when the rabbit had had enough it would hop into its cage. we left the wee door open so it could come and go as it needed.

When my sister had her child, the rabbit was relegated to an outside hutch as they didnt have time to play with it etc. After just a couple of days without regular contact apart from feeding, it became very moody and agressive. she gave it to someone else who played with it all the time and it became really friendly again.
Old 02 May 2005, 07:03 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Sorry about the red-eye, they arent really evil cyborgs.
Old 02 May 2005, 07:05 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I'll have to be honest, I've never vaccinated my rabbits against anything. In over 17 odd bunnies, the only one that's died of something other than old age was Stein who died from a stroke.

Runs aren't too hard to put together. Do you mean flat-packed after every day or just when the rabbits are no longer there?

The way we did ours was to work out how large we wanted it and then sink fence posts at each end and in the middle. We then dug a small inch / inch and a half deep trench all along the outside of the posts, moving the sod to one side, to keep it as neat as possible and then wrapped the chicken wire around, placing the sod back over the buried part and tamping down.

We secured the chicken wire using staple clips, or horsehoe clips as they are sometimes known.

The 2nd layer of chicken wire we just wrapped round the fence posts. I'll see if I can find a picture of our run...might be easier than describing it... :S

If it's meant to be flat-packed every day to put away, that might be more difficult.... Would it be easier to rabbit proof the garden and then just let them roam in that?
Old 02 May 2005, 09:38 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

How big are the bunnies? If they're a decent size, then the cats will ignore them. Honestly.

My 4 cats actually jump into the run with the rabbits, or sleep on top of their hutches. Other neighbourhood cats don't bother with them either as they are too big.

As for myxi, I've seen the evidence. It's nasty. We used to live in 6 acres and the wild rabbits would be all round the run, but fortunately mine never contracted myxi.
Old 17 October 2005, 11:01 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

My missus has a pet rabbit in the house, hers doesn't need feeding, just a thorough cleaning in warm water after every use....
Old 17 October 2005, 05:49 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

He/she is a cutey B2Z
Old 17 October 2005, 06:14 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My non-PC contribution is that young sons don't look after pets. Young daughters do. David
Old 17 October 2005, 08:28 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Rather than getting a rabbit from a pet store, it might be worth finding if you have a local Blue Cross or similar rescue centre. We got our two bunnies from the Blue Cross near Slough when they were babies.

With regards to bunny proofing the garden, we have ours in a run - we have a commercial hutch and a home made run - in total 3 ft wide, about 10 - 12 foot long and 2 feet high (the height is important as they like to stretch up too!). With regards to them digging out the bottom, we put some inch square chicken wire on the bottom and that stops them!

They live outdoors all year, though it might not be a good idea for baby bunnies to live outdoors if it is really cold.

The other thing to do is get it vaccinated and spayed / neutured. Some areas are still hotspots for myxamatosis. Spaying increases the life span as it reduces the risk of nasties in their old age.
Old 18 October 2005, 08:09 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Cheers SiDHEaD, were told it was a he but just been to the vets for a free check up (got a very good vets who don't charge for everything!) and have been told with 3 seperate opinions that he is a she May well breed from her now with our one male that isn't neutered. Depends on whether we can definately find good homes for any babies. Much research and thought will be done before making a decision on that one.
Lots of info here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewforum.php?f=8

Also anyone considering another bun, I urge you to look through the little guys n gals wanting homes on http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ . Can specify region etc.

Quick Reply: pet rabbit - kept indoors ??