Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Inspection on used car after agreeing to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2005, 12:10 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Inspection on used car after agreeing to buy.

After agreeing to buy a rare car I've been searching for, for over a year! I'm having doubts about parting with my near £10k and that I've rushed into it.

I was always certain that I'd get an inspection before buying any used car but it was a spur of the moment thing and the fact I'm so desperate to get one (I've already missed out on 2 last year and any I find for sale don't stay on the market for very long) that I just made an offer straight away after viewing/driving (private sale).

It's a done deal and I'm due to pick the car up and pay up on friday but is it reasonable to now ask for a inspection on it before then? I'd have to book it now as it's within 3 working days, but at £189 and losing my £200 deposit it's cheaper than finding any big problems down the line when I could never be 100% sure it's perfect

Last edited by cheddar bob; 02 May 2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02 May 2005, 12:14 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Get the Inspection done first better to lose £389 than £10,000 and if you feel it's not right walk away, don't end up with something you may later regret buying.
Cheers
Colin
Old 02 May 2005, 12:25 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

What car is it Bob? Having some idea of the rarity and availability of spares would make it easier to form an opinion on the risk. Knowing nothing I'd agree with Colin above.

Ray
Old 02 May 2005, 12:47 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Tis a 1 owner low mileage DC2 ITR,

Plus points are it's a local sale, bought new from my local Honda dealer & serviced there (just had one recently aswell)

Bad point is it's had a "minor accident" from rear with new bumper & wing fitted and repaired at Honda. (Will be speaking to the dealer about this and a couple of other things) plus has a few small car park dings, otherwise it's in excellent condition interior/exterior/engine.

Already needed will be a cambelt change that's due, and rear bushes are worn (shown from MOT) possibly new discs/pads in the next 6months aswell which were all negotiated into the agreed price.
Old 02 May 2005, 03:50 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

It'd have to be a minter wouldn't it? 10k seems a lot for a DC2 unless the mileage really is LOW. Ask yourself if your hesitation is in parting with 10k (a lot of cash to many of us) or whether it's genuinely a bad feeling about the car. Get the inspection by all means if the hesitation is about the money and needing to be really sure but if you're not that keen on the car now I'd think about walking away and saving the extra loss cos you already know that the inspection is going to throw up faults.
Old 02 May 2005, 05:01 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

The price is fair IMO for what it is, like I say I've been looking for over a year and know the market pretty well. If Lancaster Honda were selling this it would be up for £14k although parkers values etc suggest the price I've agreed may be in bit more I don't think that inculdes the rarity value, the fact there was only 500 black models sold, take away all written off, stolen, mid-high mileage and track demo'd cars theres by my guesses less than 50 cars in the whole country I have a choice from, The last one I was too late on (was sold within 4days) double the mileage and was only advertised for £300 less than this one.

So my doubt is not that it's too expensive it's whether I should buy it without getting it fully checked over. I am now waiting to speak to the owner to check he doesn't have any objections to having an inspection arranged, I should have really agreed to buy 'subject' to an inspection showing no problems, but was a bit hasty and excited at seeing a car I was willing to travel the country to see/buy for all the time I was looking appearing 10mins away and on my birthday

If the inspection just shows up the worn bushes, few small dents and that the brakes need done soon give or take a couple minor things too, I'll be well chuffed as it is mint for 5 year old. BUT if it shows that the repair isn't perfect or anything major then I'll consider cutting my losses and walk away.

Thanks for the advice

Last edited by cheddar bob; 02 May 2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02 May 2005, 05:46 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you already knew the answer mate.

Good luck with it!

Oh, by the way, you never mentioned it wasn't a white one before...

Trending Topics

Old 02 May 2005, 05:48 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

My bro bought a minter (99 V reg i think) 50k miles, fully serviced for £9k around a year ago, non-trader, with fhsh, but was white. Had to travel from London to Scotland, but saved a fair bit. Are you sure you are getting a good deal? Keep looking around, he is selling his soon for TT! Aye-crumba
Kam
Old 02 May 2005, 05:59 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Ask around on the Honda owners' bbs. We had a DC5 which was a bit different from a DC2 however after our experiences, I would definitely get a check done on it!
Old 02 May 2005, 06:16 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
Ask around on the Honda owners' bbs. We had a DC5 which was a bit different from a DC2 however after our experiences, I would definitely get a check done on it!
I already use itr dc2 & hondarevs, my mate used to have one too, and I've looked at about 7 or 8 examples for sale plus driven a few so I know what I'm buying in a ITR but as it was more of a general question about whether it's within reason to ask the seller to get an inspection done AFTER agreeing to buy the car and BEFORE I hand my cash over I thought I'd get a better response on here as it is a bigger 'community'
Old 02 May 2005, 06:41 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

true, there's a hell of a lot more people on here - HondaRevs was like a mortuary in comparison. I'd still get a check done though, not everyone is honest and it might need a lot of work doing to it. You're in control of handing the money over and the current owner might just be trying to get rid right before something is about to blow!
Old 02 May 2005, 06:45 PM
Jubal
Scooby Regular

I reckon you should ask for the inspection, what objection could the seller reasonably have other than to the slight delay? If it's straight he'll be happy to let it go ahead and if he objects then keep looking. Just clear up the ground rules before the inspection goes ahead so he knows where you will draw the line.
Old 02 May 2005, 06:51 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

The guy was nice and seemed genuine, anyway just off the phone to seller, he's more than happy so he musn't have anything to hide, so I've just booked the inspection aswell just have to wait now