Rover works to get £5,000 (average) payout

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2005, 02:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rover works to get £5,000 (average) payout

Have a read of this.

Wonder if Ms Hewitt will have a nice payout for all the other workers in the country who are made redundant, somehow I doubt it.
Old 02 May 2005, 02:40 PM
D70
BANNED

Sounds like rather a lot for a bunch of nomarks doesn't it?
Look at this way though it's a one off as we don't have any major manufacturing left that anyone cares about now Rover is down the toilet.
Old 02 May 2005, 03:42 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Can't be bothered to read it, but remember, if a company - any company - goes bust and you are owed redundancy money, the Government foots the bill if the company doesn't have the resources to pay you anyway.
Old 02 May 2005, 03:45 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

"Ms Hewitt said that the total redundancy package paid out to workers will be close to £50m."

They should be taping into the P4 pension fund of £10 mil for starters.
Old 02 May 2005, 05:21 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

They have still been robbed it's an average £5000 total redundancy payment not a 5K lump sum on top of anything else.

They did not get the statutary 90day notice or payment and many have got less than state redundancy terms.

The MGR workers have been screwed, of those that were left 82% had never been on strike and all had adopted flexible working patterns, after BMW bailed out, to try and move the company forward.

There are lots of reasons MGR failed but as always it's mainly the innocent hard working families that get screwed.
There are still thousands of workers still to loose their jobs at suppliers and dealers and they will probably come of even worse.

Lee
Old 02 May 2005, 05:28 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Have a read of this.

Wonder if Ms Hewitt will have a nice payout for all the other workers in the country who are made redundant, somehow I doubt it.
When HC was made redundant a couple of years ago she got next to sod all out of the coffers IIRC it was a couple of hundred quid, but the ******* that run the company still drives round in his merc and still has his fookin big house and still runs another company "his time will come for payback "
Old 02 May 2005, 05:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

That's the thing Huxley. It seems ex rover workers are being special cased.

I'm sure my dad would have loved 5k when he was made reduandant all those years ago, but alas he had to find another job and mum started working nights. Maybe I'm being insensitive, but it seems to me that these people want it handed to them on a plate.

No doubt most of the money will go on **** and booze though

Trending Topics

Old 02 May 2005, 06:00 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
That's the thing Huxley. It seems ex rover workers are being special cased.

I'm sure my dad would have loved 5k when he was made reduandant all those years ago, but alas he had to find another job and mum started working nights. Maybe I'm being insensitive, but it seems to me that these people want it handed to them on a plate.

No doubt most of the money will go on **** and booze though
It's nothing that wouldn't be done if any major employer centered in a small area went bust.
In the long term it is probably going to be cheaper for the tax payer to support those effected and pay for the retraining and subsidised rates for new employers.
What would be wrong is to abandon the area and let it fall into a rundown high unemployment area. Once that happens it takes decades to regenerate such areas, the taxpayer ends up footing the bill for all the years of unemployment as well as the regeneration costs. This has been proven time and time again with industries like mining and ship building. The government have provided far less than any worker is entitled to and a large chunk of this money will be retrieved through PwC when MGR is sold off.
What the government needs to do now is entice new buissnes into the area to stop the local economy collapsing.

I take it you have not visited a modern car plant Markus? Most of the workers are highly skilled, that's why the pay is relatively good, and will have the intelligence not to spend the last money they have on the booze.

Cheers
Lee
Old 03 May 2005, 09:04 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
They have still been robbed it's an average £5000 total redundancy payment not a 5K lump sum on top of anything else.

They did not get the statutary 90day notice or payment and many have got less than state redundancy terms.

The MGR workers have been screwed, of those that were left 82% had never been on strike and all had adopted flexible working patterns, after BMW bailed out, to try and move the company forward.

There are lots of reasons MGR failed but as always it's mainly the innocent hard working families that get screwed.
There are still thousands of workers still to loose their jobs at suppliers and dealers and they will probably come of even worse.

Lee
Lee, sorry mate, but thats nonsense.

Statutory redundancy is £280 a week for each year worked (subject to a multiplier depending on age and service)

£5,000 is an average of 17 weeks. That equates to the workers being either over 39 years old, or having at least 12 years service on average.

No one, by law, will be getting less than the statutory payments for notice, redundancy, wages and holiday pay due.

90 days notice is not statutory in a formal insolvency process as it is simply not possible to have 90 days consultation in such situations.

Yes the workers will suffer, but no worse than anyone else in the Uk who has lost their job due to their employer becoming insolvent and ceasing to trade. So why should they get £5,000 on top of everything else?

They should, and will, get exactly what they are due and nothing else.

Major employers in small areas have been going bust for years and yet they never received speeded up redundancy payments, which, on average, can take between 8 and 12 weeks to be processed and paid.

Nothing, of course, to do with there being a general election in a couple of days and the labour party wishing to keep 6,000 marginal volters on side....

Last edited by Diablo; 03 May 2005 at 09:07 AM.