Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thieving Blockbuster.

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2005, 06:07 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thieving Blockbuster.

Now it IS a long time since I hired a DVD from the above mentioned company, but today I decided to hire "House of the Flying Daggers" and nearly passed out when they requested £3.95 for the hire thereof !
Ok so I can keep it 'til Weds evening but..... I only actually want to watch it once, and I'm not in the habbit of renting DVD's one day in order to watch them the next day.
Think I'll take a serious look at these mail order companies who rent out films, maybe they charge more realistic fees.

BTW ~ the film was teriffic. Excellent.
Old 02 May 2005, 06:09 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Agreed, seems daft to pay £4 to rent a film for a few days when most DVDs can be had online to buy for around £9.99
Old 02 May 2005, 06:14 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Just taken a look at Tesco of all people. I can hire as many DVd's (1 at a time) from them in a month for £7.97. Then there's a sliding scale for those who want more than one film at a time.
Got to be far cheaper that way. Postage is included.
Old 03 May 2005, 10:29 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Apparition
Just taken a look at Tesco of all people. I can hire as many DVd's (1 at a time) from them in a month for £7.97. Then there's a sliding scale for those who want more than one film at a time.
Got to be far cheaper that way. Postage is included.
Dam thats a good price. I use lovefilm.com for this and its £9.99/mnth for ONE dvd each time. Tesco are charging £11.47 for TWO Think I might signup with them instead.

Only query is if their selection is as good as lovefilm's. Thats something you cant determine until you've signed up.

Edited to say, actually you can see the selection b4 signup, and it looks fine to me.

Last edited by bioforger; 03 May 2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03 May 2005, 10:37 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I use Lovefilm, very very good service, as I'm a subscriber, I can give a month's free trial (instead of the usual 2) with no strings, PM me and I'll sort you out with an invite.
Old 03 May 2005, 10:46 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
I use Lovefilm, very very good service, as I'm a subscriber, I can give a month's free trial (instead of the usual 2) with no strings, PM me and I'll sort you out with an invite.
Lovefilm is ok, but now they're beaten on price, plus they dont always properly check/clean the discs. I quite often get unreadable ones.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:28 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Both those services look like good prices - makes the £35.00 a month for Sky Digital (loads of crap channels you never watch) / Sky movies (endless repeats of films from 2 years ago) seem extremely expensive.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:33 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Admittedly they did once send me Disney's "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" Instead of The Grudge, Needless to say I didn't watch it!

Kill Bill2 Was scratched too, but that's the only one out of 30 odd DVD's that didn't work, plus now they've altered the packaging so you can report a faulty DVD on return.
Old 03 May 2005, 12:04 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
Admittedly they did once send me Disney's "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" Instead of The Grudge, Needless to say I didn't watch it!

LOL

Kill Bill2 Was scratched too, but that's the only one out of 30 odd DVD's that didn't work, plus now they've altered the packaging so you can report a faulty DVD on return.
You've been lucky I usually get 2 sometimes 3 every say, 2months which are unreadable.
Old 08 May 2005, 11:07 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Just discovered that Mr Stelios whatsit ( Easy Jet ) runs a DVD hire company. Charges £1.99 per film ! You buy credits and they last for 90 days and in that time you can hire as many films as you want up to the value of the credits, Seems to have a pretty up to date choice.

http://dvd.easycinema.com/visitor/tell_me_more.html