Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO saxo boy our favourite planning guru

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2005, 12:06 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FAO saxo boy our favourite planning guru

I am in the process of buying a new house but i will need to extend either to the side or up into the loft
If i go to the side i would want to build a tunnel with two rooms above and access stairs to the loft for a large play area
the reason for the tunnel is for access to the rear garage

My question is i have seen some houses done in this way but not many is there a planning reason why not or is it simply more expensive to do ?
Old 07 June 2005, 12:12 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Frequently new houses (paticularly in an estate) have covenants forbidding visual external changes for x yrs. (Solictor will check)

D
Old 07 June 2005, 12:16 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Sorry should have said it is an ex council house other houses around have extended so don't think extending is a problem just wondering about my specific style!
Old 07 June 2005, 05:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I don't understand what you mean by a tunnel? Do you mean so you can have like a car port with rooms above it? If its a two storey high extension then it will quite likely require planning permission in which case you should seek the views of your local planning department on your proposal. It sounds to me like you are planning an 'different' design feature which may conflict with the local planning policies but you'll not know till you read them or show your idea to the planners
Old 07 June 2005, 06:10 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

ok sorry i know its a bit vague
The house is 2 storey i want to build above the drive while still having the drive hence the tunnel carport sounds better though lol

I have a garage round the back you see and want to keep access to it

I know i will need permission but just wondered if there was a reason more people don't do it
Old 07 June 2005, 06:39 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I know i will need permission but just wondered if there was a reason more people don't do it
Easy, value. Your house will be worth more with rooms on the ground floor in place of a void to keep the car dry and for this reason most people going to the expense of an extension will opt for more rooms for extra living space and value reasons.

It would look a little 'odd' so I'd seek the view of the planning officer for your area.
Old 08 June 2005, 09:23 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Another point to bear in mind is that, no matter how well you insulate the it, any room inside the extension is going to be f**king cold in winter, as every surface except one is exposed.
Old 08 June 2005, 05:50 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Do you need planning permission to convert a garage into a living room if the garage is integral to the house?
Old 08 June 2005, 05:59 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Usually no Kieran but you should always check and get written confirmation from the planning authority. If the buildings is listed or in a conservation area then it usually will require planning permission.
Old 08 June 2005, 06:04 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

it's a brand new house, and we've already done it... I checked with the planning dept of the council I do the support for... but I'll fire off a letter to make it official
Old 08 June 2005, 06:05 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Do you need planning permission to convert a garage into a living room if the garage is integral to the house?
You need to apply for a change of use with our local council, and if your in a city, you'll have no chance
Old 08 June 2005, 06:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

CrisPDuk I'd challenge that. A garage by its nature is a use 'incidental to the use and enjoyment of the dwellinghouse' (lifted directly from the planning act) so the conversion of it to habital accomodation whether its physically connected to the house or not is not a change of use.
Old 08 June 2005, 06:15 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

and just to add, you'd be AMAZED at the number of houses around here that have conversions done... one guy just had a new detached garage added on and converted the integral one. It's most likely because the cost of moving the house is so high that if you want more space, you may as well make use of what you've got.
Old 09 June 2005, 09:34 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
CrisPDuk I'd challenge that. A garage by its nature is a use 'incidental to the use and enjoyment of the dwellinghouse' (lifted directly from the planning act) so the conversion of it to habital accomodation whether its physically connected to the house or not is not a change of use.
I suspect the rules may change from one area to the other, there are two or 3 on our road that have done this very thing ,and when we looked at doing it, the 2 owners that we spoke to with said that's what they had been required to do.

Of course every planning app has to have a brown envelope stuffed with used notes attached to it so it may just be down to how grasping each authority is.
Old 09 June 2005, 09:43 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Interpretation of planning law varies but what I'm saying is the authority to which you refer have taking a very wrong view on this matter and I'd challenge it all the way - changing a garage to living accommodation is not a change of use, I'll happily present that case in court. Your planning authority is wrong, simple as that.

I've processed around 2000 planning applications and never had an offer of more than a cup of tea yet
Old 09 June 2005, 09:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Interesting, planning permission for a single story dwelling at the bottom of our garden was denied last year to the previous owners, but a garage with a larger footprint (yes it is massive ) has just been granted to us.

I suspect it we promptly converted it to a house on completion we would have to answer some questions!
Old 09 June 2005, 09:47 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've processed around 2000 planning applications and never had an offer of more than a cup of tea yet
I didn't mean actual real bribes I meant the application fee itself, which is nothing more than another tax anyway
Old 09 June 2005, 09:48 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

As a seperate dwelling it is no longer incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse and therefore needs planning permission. You could however convert it to habital ancillary accomodation although if that ancillary accomodation (granny flat, etc) is able to offer self sustaining accommodation (i.e. kitchen, bog, bedroom, etc) then most local authorities would seek to secure through a legal agreement that the building cannot be sold seperately, used for business/trade, etc.
Old 09 June 2005, 09:49 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Post 18 is in relation to Olly's garage. I love telling someone they need to pay £130 to apply for planning permission for a small fence, etc
Old 09 June 2005, 12:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

just to add: Saxoboy - thanks for the feedback and information provided! I really appreciated you taking your time to help with my query