Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Binmen and council policy

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2005, 12:47 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And they should take the feckin grass clippings rather than charge £1 per sack to collect them...grr
Old 07 June 2005, 12:49 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Every council's got different policies on this sort of thing. Down in Southampton they were fussy to the extreme, up here in Pontefract they'll take anything that's not nailed down.

Oh, they take a wheelie bin full of garden waste once a month in the summer for no extra charge too
Old 07 June 2005, 12:49 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Isn't this to encourage recycling which I am in favour of.

Get some boxes for paper and card, bottles, cans and plastic.

Job done.
Old 07 June 2005, 12:50 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watford council is going to stop collecting if you don't recycle... So the binmen are going to be paid to go through your rubbish and determine if you could have recycled better? FFS!! Sounds similar to hospital porters deciding who gets treated first (anybody with a long enough memory?)

I suggest you take your excess down to the local council office and put it in their bins

Alternatively, (and this HAS been done) gift wrap your rubbish, leave it on the back seat of your car with the window open.
Old 07 June 2005, 12:54 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Does make you wonder what the hell why we are paying for thisservice and their salaries. Doesn't it make you laugh that a few years ago before wheel bins etc you could pile the rubbish up etc in bags at the side and it would all be cleared away. Now got wheelie bins - which must be easier for them and they can only empty those. Well halft empy as I found last night I hads not put the hedge clippings in a bag so they only didnt bother emptying the rest. And they never put the bins back - just leave thenm in the road and drop loads of litter as well.
Rant over time to ring ther local council and have a go at them
Richard
Old 07 June 2005, 12:56 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Our council have just given us a free blue box for glass/paper and metal and a free brown wheelie bin for garden rubbish, (2 weeks between collections)but if the lid of the normal bin is open by anymore than 3mm they will fish out the thing on the top and leave it on the street!!

count yourselves lucky though where the mother in law lives their council only collect the bins every two weeks and it came without warning and they have to pay for the brown/green garden bins, good value for nearly 2 grand a year
Old 07 June 2005, 12:58 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We currently have 3 wheelie bins ... 1 grey one for household rubbish, 1 green one for re-cycling, 1 brown one for green waste ie. garden waste

theres also a hotline you can call if you see rubbish dumped anywhere and they come and pick it up. And by arrengement they will come and collect large household rubbish ie, mattresses, fridge freezers etc
Old 07 June 2005, 01:04 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Its sign of the times that councils have to adopt a higher recycling rate.
This policy will be passed down to householders to do more recycling and segregation of waste.
I am amazed at the few bin bags we now fill at home and makes me feel better about the bad fuel consumption of the scoob <<smug mode>>

This kind of action is just the tip of the (melting) iceberg in terms of policies that will be imposed, to safeguard the environment - so you're going to have to get used to it I'm afraid.

Nick
Old 07 June 2005, 01:10 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

We have 1 black bin that has to be shut, 1 brown bin for garden waste and 2 green bags for paper, plastic and glass.
1 week the black bin gets collected, 1 week the brown bin gets collected.
At the start i was quite annoyed at this but looking at it from the bigger picture it has definatly made me recycle more (using the green bags) as apposed to simply chucking it all in the black bin.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:11 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Lets just all produce as much waste as possible and let our local councils find some more holes for it to go!

I bet half of your bin can be recycled.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:17 PM
type-r-stan
Scooby Regular

Some councils have got a bee in their bonnet and have spent millions on their 'project'. Last week i got one of watford councils snotty little letters because the lid of the skinny wheelie bin couldn't close - no bags by the side, just about 1/2 a bag above the rim...
we have got 3 boxes for recycling, a grey anorexic wheelie bin and a big green one for garden waste. any more and you have to either take it to the tip or by a black printed bag fromthe council offices. half the time it is all the package on goods which take up loads of room in the bin - they should be making manufacturers cut down as well!!

rant over!!!
Old 07 June 2005, 01:24 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I think maybe a call to the council saying that you have seen rats around the bin bags that were left by the binmen will help focus them. Failing that, a call to the local paper!
Old 07 June 2005, 01:25 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by davyboy
I bet half of your bin can be recycled.
All of it if it's a PP Wheelie bin.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:28 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

We don't have wheelies, we have to put all in bin bags and leave on road.

Green waste is collected on a different day and only if you buy green bags at £1 each. Our garden is not massive but I fill 3 every week, however they are of the black variety and the wife takes them to the tip on a Thursday

We also have to recycle paper in an orange box collected fortnightly. Some areas of Swindon recycle cans rather than paper, can only assume the chav areas use more convenience food and read less newspapers.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:31 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

**** sake you brits should try living in Germany if you think the bin men and the rubbish policies are crap.

You are so hard done by in the UK my heart bleads for you!!!

I have to recycle everything in this dump, we have 2 grey wheelie bins for 10 flats which get emptied every 2 weeks and have locks on them to boot. we are not allowed to put paper, plastic, glass or tin in them let alone garden refuse or grass cuttings.

When I first moved here I had to have 7 bins in my apartment in order to seperate the recycling! did you know there are 3 or 4 differnet types of plastic in household food packaging.???? No! neither did I.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:36 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by **************
serves you right for living in Germany
Old 07 June 2005, 01:37 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

B2Z

If you're council have the same policy as mine, you need to have another child......You get a 'free' second wheelie bin if the household has five people in it

Nick.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:39 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Bottom line is we are running out of places to put all of your rubbish b2z, and people such as yourself need to be educated to produce less disposable waste in the first place and try taking responsibility for what you use by recycling as much as you can.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:41 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Bottom line is we are running out of places to put all of your rubbish b2z
I dunno, NSR is good for another million or so posts
Old 07 June 2005, 01:44 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Nice one, i'll apply for a live in asylum seeker - preferably female and from Sweden
PMSL....
Old 07 June 2005, 01:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Isn't this to encourage recycling which I am in favour of.

Get some boxes for paper and card, bottles, cans and plastic.

Job done.
Another environment destroyer, just what we need.

Most of the stuff they collect for re-cycling causes more environmental damage through being recycled than creating brand new. Prime example the use of chlorine and other harmful bleaching agents to re-cycle paper which otherwise comes from sustainable forests, i.e. for every tree cut, at least 1 is planted in its place, which is far better.
Old 07 June 2005, 02:02 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Bottom line is we are running out of places to put all of your rubbish b2z, and people such as yourself need to be educated to produce less disposable waste in the first place and try taking responsibility for what you use by recycling as much as you can.
Cobblers.
Old 07 June 2005, 02:04 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/InformationSheets/Paper.htm

Point 4 touches on the whole chlorine thing, and while yes it may pollute, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

What's cobblers??

Quick Reply: Binmen and council policy