Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

18 police....

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2005, 12:41 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 police....

...in about 6 cars and bikes stopped on the mini dual carrigeway near mine, been there all morning....checking tax, ffs is there nothing better that the other 14 could be doing, it doesnt need that many, are there no real f-ing criminals out today, the sloths were just standing there eating and looking pissed off with it all. arggh Ive been past about 3 times today so had the opportunity to count them in the massive hold-up they also caused.
Old 08 June 2005, 12:46 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
...in about 6 cars and bikes stopped on the mini dual carrigeway near mine, been there all morning....checking tax, ffs is there nothing better that the other 14 could be doing, it doesnt need that many, are there no real f-ing criminals out today, the sloths were just standing there eating and looking pissed off with it all. arggh Ive been past about 3 times today so had the opportunity to count them in the massive hold-up they also caused.
People who have dodgy tax disks and no insurance are 'real' criminals, how would you feel if a non insuredf driver smashed into you? However, 18 is a bit of an overkill.
Old 08 June 2005, 12:51 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

12 last week on the A30 opposite Virginia Waters ( regular occurance for all you locals ) catching cars going down the hill.

12 coppers for 1 trap!
Old 08 June 2005, 12:55 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

well thats what i mean really, my point is that its overkill. nothing wrong with what theyre doing, just waste of 18 peoples day. if they took 14 away for 8 hours work somewhere more important thats 112 hours !
Old 08 June 2005, 01:09 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Maybe some of them were immigration officers
Old 08 June 2005, 01:22 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

The trap had moved up the A30 a bit yesturday, was at the Stains exit. Even had a mobile plod station parked up
Old 08 June 2005, 01:26 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

they also pull people with warrents out for arrest & the general scum who should not be out. They get banned drivers, uninsured etc. I for one agree with them on thus one, these people deserve all they get.

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2005, 02:08 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

yeah - it is actually quite an efficient way of catching people - they come to the police! Whilst there, they check to see if the car is an unroadworthy shed, if the driver is in anyway dodgy, has a bag with "swag" on it in the back from the burglary they've just committed, or is wanted for other matters - dont knock it mate, lots of crims are actually caught this way (like burglars)
Old 08 June 2005, 02:14 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
yeah - it is actually quite an efficient way of catching people - they come to the police! Whilst there, they check to see if the car is an unroadworthy shed, if the driver is in anyway dodgy, has a bag with "swag" on it in the back from the burglary they've just committed, or is wanted for other matters - dont knock it mate, lots of crims are actually caught this way (like burglars)
Do you have the stats by any chance?
Old 08 June 2005, 02:37 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Its the ANPR team (automatic number plate recognition team) and bags cars with markers on them for crime (stolen, used in burglaries armed blaggings etc etc)

It works.

It turns over lots of results and has been being used for a couple of years now...it picks offenders up from all around the country.

The portable station contains cells for people arrested and interview rooms...Its a mobile custody centre.

Crims who nick your plasma screens cant shift them around on pushbikes.....
Old 08 June 2005, 02:39 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King Eric
Its the ANPR team (automatic number plate recognition team) and bags cars with markers on them for crime (stolen, used in burglaries armed blaggings etc etc)

It works.

It turns over lots of results and has been being used for a couple of years now...it picks offenders up from all around the country.

The portable station contains cells for people arrested and interview rooms...Its a mobile custody centre.

Oh and if your that concerned about it then write to your local force, under the freedom of information act they should supply the stats to you (for the offences they can tell you about)
Old 08 June 2005, 02:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It works.

I don't know if that was aimed at me? If so, I'm not denying it, I'm just asking for the stats that compare its effectiveness to other methods of policing.
Old 08 June 2005, 02:46 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by OllyK
Do you have the stats by any chance?
Yeah 18%.
Old 08 June 2005, 02:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
Yeah 18%.
Hahaha
Old 08 June 2005, 03:07 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Olly, not at all aimed at you...was just saying, the official full stats can be got from the force you were wondering about.....
Old 08 June 2005, 03:28 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Olly, not at all aimed at you...was just saying, the official full stats can be got from the force you were wondering about.....
OK

I was wondering nationaly how effective it was compared to other policing methods. A comparison of say average number of criminals caught per man hour expended would be a useful figure to see as a whole. I just wondered if anybody happened to have such figures at their finger tips from an online source.
Old 08 June 2005, 03:39 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

ANPRs are very effective.

I was on one a few weeks back and in one hour an armed robber and 3 residential burglars (in the same stolen car) were all caught. Not to mention the countless people wanted on warrant for not appearing at court and uninsured driver.

Police don't care about tax disks - all they do is pass the details on ot the DVLA if no DVLA offiver is there.

I love the way people who don't understand what's going on assume police are persecuting the motorist.

If you're pukka and your car's all legal, why worry and bleat on about something you're ignorant of??
Old 08 June 2005, 03:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
ANPRs are very effective.
Does that mean you have comparitive stats, or is that perception?

I was on one a few weeks back and in one hour an armed robber and 3 residential burglars (in the same stolen car) were all caught. Not to mention the countless people wanted on warrant for not appearing at court and uninsured driver.

Police don't care about tax disks - all they do is pass the details on ot the DVLA if no DVLA offiver is there.

I love the way people who don't understand what's going on assume police are persecuting the motorist.

If you're pukka and your car's all legal, why worry and bleat on about something you're ignorant of??
I may be ignorant of its working, but I am trying to find out, but those in the know don't seem to be too keen to provide the information for some reason.
Old 08 June 2005, 04:43 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I don't have any stats to hand. I'm sure there are some published somewhere. Police wouldn't do them if they weren't a proven, effective method of catching criminals.

Most criminals use cars that are unregistered, have no tax and insurance to get about - burglars in particular. It might take months to find a particular burglar, yet an ANPR traps them as there is nowhere for the car to speed off to as the roads used don't allow any escape.

I wasn't calling you ignorant. I was referring to those who believe that 18 or whatever number of police are out to find tax disk dodgers.
I
Old 08 June 2005, 04:47 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I don't have any stats to hand. I'm sure there are some published somewhere.
Sadly google is being less than helpful at locating them atm!

Police wouldn't do them if they weren't a proven, effective method of catching criminals.
<cynical>But they seem happy enough to go with the speed kills mantra</cynical>

Most criminals use cars that are unregistered, have no tax and insurance to get about - burglars in particular. It might take months to find a particular burglar, yet an ANPR traps them as there is nowhere for the car to speed off to as the roads used don't allow any escape.

I wasn't calling you ignorant. I was referring to those who believe that 18 or whatever number of police are out to find tax disk dodgers.
I
Sure, I appreciate that, and I certainly am ignorant regarding the workings of the police force - I doubt it is quite the same as the Bill but I'm happy to do some reading if pointed in the right direction.
Old 08 June 2005, 04:58 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Speeding is the area of traffic police, Olly. Not an area that I am interested in......
Old 08 June 2005, 05:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

its the height of remote policing...

whilst it embraces technology, it sends out two messages to the general public...

1) we arnt any good at real stuff so we have to rely on you to get caught.

2) if we can spend this much time and resourse doing this, we should be alble to spend this resourse at ground level.. but we dont !!

M
Old 08 June 2005, 05:51 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's not remote policing. It's using technology to weed out sus cars which often have sus people in them LOL.

You want the police to go back to blowing whistles in the street and using the blue phone boxes???
Old 08 June 2005, 06:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

It's not remote policing. It's using technology to weed out sus cars which often have sus people in them LOL.

You want the police to go back to blowing whistles in the street and using the blue phone boxes???
at least you saw them!!!!!!!

there like the scarlrt pimpernell round here...

ask NY how they accieved a zero policing in the city....

and it wasnt with cameras and partnerships!!!!

M
Old 08 June 2005, 07:11 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

there wasnt anything more than a dvla van and a load of coppers in the road. thats it, no no. plate detectors. The coppers had theyre usual pad of endorsment forms and were just looking to slap them out to people.
granted they will come across a few baddies but all that resource could be used elsewhere surely
Old 08 June 2005, 07:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
there wasnt anything more than a dvla van and a load of coppers in the road. thats it, no no. plate detectors. The coppers had theyre usual pad of endorsment forms and were just looking to slap them out to people.
granted they will come across a few baddies but all that resource could be used elsewhere surely
You won't see the number plate detector as it can be a mile or so away and is hidden.
Old 08 June 2005, 08:04 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

V.true. Ours is very anonymous, I've even missed it myself a few times when I've been out & about in my own car.

The Police can't win on this board. We put ANPR operations on to nick the baddies that pinch cars and burgle houses and we get accused of overkill and still people fukcing moan!

Old 09 June 2005, 08:20 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TDT
V.true. Ours is very anonymous, I've even missed it myself a few times when I've been out & about in my own car.

The Police can't win on this board. We put ANPR operations on to nick the baddies that pinch cars and burgle houses and we get accused of overkill and still people fukcing moan!

People moan becuase the Police currently are doing a pi$$ poor job of communicating with the public. Perception is everything and at the moment the upper echelons of the Police force are doing little to market themselves and develope good will with the general public. We are now, from your posts, getting a bit of an understanding of what is involved with all of this.

If we are thinking it, how many others are thinking it? What would it take to put an article in the local paper saying you were planning this year to carry out a number of these checks at various locations and explain what was involved and why it is so important??
Old 09 June 2005, 11:08 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by OllyK
What would it take to put an article in the local paper saying you were planning this year to carry out a number of these checks at various locations and explain what was involved and why it is so important??
Good suggestion OllyK Notify the crims that a sting is in operation so they all stay at home that day and then it is a waste of police time.
Old 09 June 2005, 11:11 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Good suggestion OllyK Notify the crims that a sting is in operation so they all stay at home that day and then it is a waste of police time.
Would you like to actually read my post and reconsider what you have put before I take the pi$$ out of you?

Quick Reply: 18 police....