Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Not my week- now out holiday's fecked as well :(

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2005, 07:17 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not my week- now out holiday's fecked as well :(

Some of you were kind enough to contribute to my thread earlier in the week after a car dealer buggered up the order for the wifes new car (or sold it to someone else- more likely)

Now the holiday is looking doomed- sorry, its another epic

Booked a cruise through the 'UK's largest independent' cruise travel agents, cruise control- www.bookmeacruise.co.uk.

Paid them on the 18th April for a nine night cruise, plus flights from manchester to orlando return, and asked them to extend the stay in Florida.

They said they could extend for three days, I asked them to see if they could extend for a week, they said they would see what they could do.

Waited a month for my confirmation before I started getting concerned. I then started phoning customer services asking for confirmation of booking. They told me verbally that we were booked for 9 nights cruise plus 7 nights in Orlando.

I was quite pleased about that but decided to wait for it to come in writing.

A couple of weeks later, I finally got a confirmation, saying I owed them £629 (despite having paid the balance in full).

It did say, however, '9 nights cruise plus 7 nights at Hotel etc etc', so I thought 'that sounds good'.

Spoke to them immediately and after an hour on hold I was told that they'd not discounted the prices on the paperwork but confirming that it was paid in full. I asked them to confirm same in writing, and got another confirmation saying I owed them £629 (still for 9 nights / 7 nights)

By this time I'm wondering what a shower of ****e I've got involved with and ring them again. The next day the confirmation (still showing 9 nights / 7 nights) arrives showing balance outstanding of nil.

Last week I had still not had detailed info as far as flights were concerned. I rang twice last Friday and was promised call backs as soon as they spoke to the cruise operator.

Same again monday, tuesday and wednesday. This morning I rang the cruise operator myself.

Two bombshells.
Only booked for 9 night cruise plus 3 nights in Orlando (not 7, as confirmed in writing 3x)

Flights are not direct. Have to change in Boston. Whilst I did not ask if they were direct, if I ask for a flight from liverpool to nice I don't expect to change without it being drawn to my attention. I did not think to ask unfortunately. Total travel time circa 19 hours, which won't be too much fun with 2 children.
I have complained to the agent, who says they are going to consult their phone calls as they tape them all. I always thought they had to tell the caller if the call was being recorded,but this only adds credence to my case.

I have also spoken at length to the cruise operators, who, to be honest have been very helpful and are trying to sort it out also. They did state that the agent had put the booking through as 9 nights / 7 nights and told the agent they could only do 9 nights / 3 nights. This was not conveyed to us. They also told the agent that they were unable to do direct flights. This was not conveyed to us either.

As far as I am concerned they have two options- refund me in full, or sort it as per their written confirmation.

Am I correct?

Also, I've paid for seven day tickets for the Disney parks etc for all four of us which wasn't cheap and will be wasted as we won't be there!

Help please guys and gals
Old 23 June 2005, 07:36 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Citizens Advice Bureau offer free advice on this sort thing....

I reckon that you should be able to negotitate with them to see if you can come to some sort of amicable deal. I think, to the letter of the law, you can get all your money back...
Old 23 June 2005, 07:42 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Yep, thats the plan. Company solicitor is very good but rather costly, and I think the CAB would probs get better results in a shorter space of time.

Thanks luminous.
Old 23 June 2005, 07:45 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Your welcome, just hope it all works out well for you in the end. Sounds like you are better off not using them as agents in the future. If there is a good holiday on offer, may a little compensation is all you really want.

First thing to decide is what you want them to do. Then you have to see if that is reasonable and take it from there. Life, eh? Always giving people stress
Old 23 June 2005, 07:47 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

tbh all I really want is to avoid telling my little'uns there's a problem with the holiday- not bothered about compensation, just want what I paid for.

I have already intimated to the cruise operator that if I can get a refund I will happily book with them direct.
Old 23 June 2005, 10:50 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Defo speak to the CAB.

I had an incident with the booking of my holiday to the Maldives in April. Basically the booking details on lastminute.com said that there was no damage caused in the Tsunami, but when we got the confirmation it said there would be 24 hour work going on to rebuild damaged parts of the island.

After i found out where I stood from CAB i wrote to lastminute and Hayes & Jarvis and told them legally where i stood and wanted an equivalent replacement holiday in another resort that conformed to what I was sold. I got an upgrade to a higer grade resort, upgrade from B&B to HB and a much nicer holiday all for no extra money.

Dave
Old 24 June 2005, 07:57 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

As you have confirmation in writing,they have contravened their contract with you. They should offer you a full refund or find alternative accommodation you agree on for the 7 nights after your cruise.

I suspect the flight details are covered in their terms and conditions so I doubt your beef with that part of the palava will be entertained.

I assume they are a member of ABTA? If the **** hits the fan you can seek recompense via a complaint to ABTA

If that does happen, I would suggest that you write and request copies of the recorded phone calls - they are within their right to charge a nominal fee for that but under the data protection act you are entitled to this information.

As for them recording the calls in the first place, yes, they should warn you first that calls are recorded. However, without warning, your conversation cannot be entered into a court of law by them as it is deemed to be without prejudice I believe

Hope that helps.
Old 24 June 2005, 09:14 AM
Lou x
Scooby Regular

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/

hope that helps.

Old 24 June 2005, 10:13 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Thanks again everyone.

My preferred option is for them to refund me and I'll find something with a more professional company.

I've just tried the CAB but unfortunately they are closed on Fridays
Old 24 June 2005, 11:59 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

It might be wise to call ABTA now and test the water.http://www.abta.com/
Old 24 June 2005, 12:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Wth cruises, it seems to be the norm for travel agents to get you to the crusie ship via the cheapest and seemingly most bizarre route known to man. P&O/Princess cruises and many others do the same thing. But you should have been made aware of this at the time of booking.
Old 24 June 2005, 12:06 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Must be so infuriating. After houses, Subarus and Weddings (if ya mad), a holiday can be one of the most expensive things you'll ever pay for. To unwittingly book through a shower like this would drive me mad
As already suggested and heeded CAB is the best way to go and I hope it works out well in the end.
Let us know how it goes matey.
P