Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

got done doing 51 in a 30!

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2005, 09:17 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got done doing 51 in a 30!

just near mcdonalds, should have been more careful in the chav part of town, espeacially on a friday night. I am getting my defence together for court. Here it is so far:

1) No speed limit signs or camera signs. The area is just off a 50 zone.
2) policeman said he was targetting boy racers, and said that I clearly wasn't one, and he said I wasn't driving dangerously, Surely my 16 years of accident free driving must be taken into account.
3) The road is a private road (adopted by the council I think - trying to find this out). It has speed bumps down one end.
4) the speed camera was used from inside a cop car through the windscreen - has it been tested through a windscreen. The cop said it 'should' work through the screen but was not convincing.

Do I have a chance? I have 6 points already!
Old 25 June 2005, 09:20 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Just MHO but , if its possibly a private road, wouldn't that indicate more of a likelihood for it to be a 30 limit ?
Yve
Old 25 June 2005, 09:23 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

pay an play..

you could ave knocked down our Chaos ! - what a shame that would be...
Old 25 June 2005, 09:28 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Do I have a chance of keeping my license???
Old 25 June 2005, 09:34 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised they are taking it to court to be honest... I got stopped for 51 in a 30 (copper hiding behind a tree) several years back and got a fixed penalty, 3pts.
Old 25 June 2005, 09:34 AM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roojai
Do I have a chance of keeping my license???
Did you ask to see the calibration certificate for the gun? Ibelieve they are supposed to be calibrated daily, if it has'nt been then they have no case. I think you would be very unlucky to get a ban.
Old 25 June 2005, 09:35 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

they said it had been checked that day. copper thought I wouldn't get a ban THIS time.
Old 25 June 2005, 09:41 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

go on to www.five-0 website and ask one of our boys in blue on there, good luck.
Cheers
Colin
Old 25 June 2005, 09:45 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

just near mcdonalds, should have been more careful in the chav part of town, espeacially on a friday night. I am getting my defence together for court. Here it is so far:

2) policeman said he was targetting boy racers, and said that I clearly wasn't one, and he said I wasn't driving dangerously, Surely my 16 years of accident free driving must be taken into account.
3) The road is a private road (adopted by the council I think - trying to find this out). It has speed bumps down one end.
4) the speed camera was used from inside a cop car through the windscreen - has it been tested through a windscreen. The cop said it 'should' work through the screen but was not convincing.

1) No defence, if there are no repeater signs and there are close lamposts then assume its a 30.
2) afraid it won't be taken into account.
3) dunno
4) I don't think it will make any difference but this is your only hope out of the points you have listed. As for calibration I don't think they get caught out by that one, pretty sure its procedure before going out.

I don't think you'll get 6 points for it, that would be very harsh, 4 is a good bet as that will leave you banned if you get a fixed penalty.
Old 25 June 2005, 12:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Thats a no-no!!

I am sure that one of our resident bibs will confirm, but rules/guidelines state you can 't use a laser gun through glass. I believe that for radar (which is rarely used these days) you actually have to have a foot on the ground (to prevent use in a moving vehicle).

mb
Old 25 June 2005, 12:33 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Has to be used outside the vehicle as far as I am aware.
Certainly cant be used through glass!
Old 27 June 2005, 12:44 PM
nsld
Scooby Regular

From the first line it appears you admit to doing 51 in the 30 to start with.

Point 1. No need for Camera signs as a traffic officer can enforce speed limits anyhwere. Signs only apply to either fixed cameras, or places where mobile speed camera partnerships operate.

Point 2. He didnt stop you for dangerous driving he stopped you for speeding

Point 3: Speed bumps indicate that the road speed would be less than 30 mph. If it is a private road you would have no right of access, if its adopted then the RTA applies.

Point 4. Looks like the camera does work through the screen as you admit to doing the 51 in a 30. Are you sure he wasnt poiinting it out of an open window, thats how they usually do it.

Point 5: You say you are getting your defence ready for court, I suggest you look up the meaning of the term "sub judice". You are now legally obliged to disclose this thread to the court or you could be held in contempt of court for discussing this case in the public domain prior to the trial.

You would have been a lot better of taking the fixed penalty and the three points as there is nothing to stop the magistrate giving you six points and taking your licence away, or locking you away for contempt! (although that would be rare!)
Old 27 June 2005, 03:13 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

You are now legally obliged to disclose this thread to the court or you could be held in contempt of court for discussing this case in the public domain prior to the trial
That's interesting.
Old 27 June 2005, 03:45 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Laser speed detection devices can now be used from inside the vehicle, either pointing through the windscreen or out of the side windows.

As far as calibration goes, they aren't calibrated by the Police. Calibration lasts for one year when it has to be sent away. A mere accuracy check of the laser sight is all that is required before use.

Take it on the chin and stop looking for excuses, you control the loud pedal. If you read the highway code it will tell you that there are no signs to indicate a 30 mph limit.
Old 27 June 2005, 04:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

if you was speeding then bend over and take it like a man... I cant understand these people who try and fight it if they know theyve been speeding...
Old 27 June 2005, 04:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

51 in a road with speed humps! What do you drive, a Land Cruiser???
Old 27 June 2005, 05:19 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Maybe he drives a hovercraft
Old 27 June 2005, 05:55 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

[Rant Mode]

Why should "16 years of accident free driving" be taken into account?! Does experience automatically mean that you're "above" accidents and thus entitled to speed? 30 limits usually exist for a reason...

You may "get off" as a result of being done through the windscreen, but IMO you should pay up. By your own admission you're guilty - call me an idealist but as far as i'm concerned the courts should be reserved for those who want to seek justice. Arguing the toss over technicalities so you can escape a penalty which you've been daft enough to deserve in the first place is taking the pi$$. You already have 6 points - common sense should have told you by now that you need to slow down

And yes, I do know that "we all do it" at some point or another, but most individuals accept it when they get caught and take it on the chin - as you should.

[/Rant Mode ]

K.
Old 27 June 2005, 06:16 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Aye no excuses - 51 in a 30 suggests you werent paying attention to the road and wre more than aware you were breaking the law (either that or simply incompetent / cocky risk taker).
I reckon its more than likely 3 points and £60 based on other posts I've read in the past... A suitable penalty...
Take it on the chin and pay up sir and free up magistrate time to send get more drug infested scum off the streets
Old 27 June 2005, 06:29 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Certainly in Wales it isn't drug infested scum they are interested in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4626647.stm

Police points scheme 'ludicrous'

An MP has criticised North Wales Police plans for a 'points' system to monitor officers' performance in catching motorists committing traffic offences.
From 1 July, officers will be set a monthly points target of 200 which they will build up through arrest numbers.
An arrest of a speeding motorist would bring five points while arresting a drink driver would mean 25 points.
Alyn and Deeside MP Mark Tami said the pilot scheme could "shred public confidence in the police".
The Police Federation have described the scheme as "ludicrous".
North Wales Police, led by Richard Brunstrom who is known for his tough anti-speeding policies, is bringing in the six-month trial to reduce road casualties, crime and bad driving.
Old 27 June 2005, 07:04 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Can be used from within the vehicle but not pointed through glass therefore if they took the speed through the windscreen then this should get you off.

See ACPO guidelines from Mr Brunstron

Page 66

"The beam must not be projected through glass or mirrors"

http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/polici...sion%202-3.pdf