If there was ever a reason for rejecting ID cards - This is it

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2005, 01:47 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If there was ever a reason for rejecting ID cards - This is it

Text from - http://www.itn.co.uk/news/100463.html

The Government is looking to sell personal details from ID cards to keep costs down, according to reports.

The Independent on Sunday claims Ministers are growing increasingly alarmed by the spiralling cost of the proposed system.

The paper said Ministers are already in talks with private firms to pass on personal details for an initial cost of £750 each.

A report by the London School of Economics this week is expected to put the price of ID cards at as much as £220 a card.

That is double Home Office estimates that the cost has already risen from £39 to £110.

And a poll by the Mail on Sunday suggests the Government will have problems if the cost of an ID card hits £100, with nine out of ten people saying they would reject the scheme at that price.
Old 26 June 2005, 02:29 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Government in shady deals and stupidity shocker.

Hardly a surprise
Old 26 June 2005, 02:52 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I have no objection to actually carrying an ID Card, being of the crimeless pursuasion. However, no way will I be paying for the privelidge. If the government want me to carry one, they will have to shell out.
Old 26 June 2005, 02:58 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apparition
I have no objection to actually carrying an ID Card, being of the crimeless pursuasion. However, no way will I be paying for the privelidge. If the government want me to carry one, they will have to shell out.

You will pay whatever happens, because the cost has to come from somewhere. The only question is: directly or indirectly?

And you may think of yourself as law-abiding, but a simple typo could make you a criminal in two seconds.

M
Old 26 June 2005, 03:06 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Whilst real criminal types (and I dont just mean the irresponsible drivers who flout speed limits by 5 mph) will be able to get round the whole system with fake/stolen ID's. Which kind of makes the whole thing pointless.

Just like the "take Id with you to buy a number plate" I mean of course car thieves couldnt possibel make number plates could they
Old 26 June 2005, 09:56 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Love the way the Govt keeps pumping out the "it'll help combat terrorism" line.

Didn't help those poor b@stards on the Spanish train that got blown up - and Spain already has ID cards!
Old 26 June 2005, 10:08 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The Government is looking to sell personal details from ID cards to keep costs down, according to reports

Um!
Old 26 June 2005, 10:09 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

There are some really good uses for a properly implemented ID card system. For example, identity theft could be dramatically reduced, online crime (SPAM) could be reduced considerably, benefit fraud drastically reduced etc etc

And as long as you can't produce an ID card you should be detained until they can ID you from other authoratative means or deported.

But I doubt the government are that intelligent or effective enough to do it properly. There will no doubt be flaws in issuing them, counterfeits will appear, the IT system implemented to issue and manage them will be way over budget and result in Capita/EDS type companies making millions, and finally the police probably won't have powers to detain people who don't carry them so the criminals and immigrants will just ignore them and get on with their lives (Probably issue them an on the spot fine for not carrying a card, to which they give a false name and disappear again)
Old 26 June 2005, 10:27 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

How come the government get to make money off my information? We ought to be charging them for any information they want off us in the first place.
Old 26 June 2005, 10:31 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=437356

merge please...

Old 26 June 2005, 10:34 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Well you could also merge mine that I posted before, but no-one bothered to reply and just started their own threads
Old 26 June 2005, 10:59 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Well you could also merge mine that I posted before, but no-one bothered to reply and just started their own threads
yeah, but mine has pictures and couloured text *and* I provided a link, so up yours
Old 26 June 2005, 11:10 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where I live, carrying ID, such as a driving licence, became compulsory on 1st Jan 2005. The penalty for not doing so is a year's free subscription to the Mail on Sunday.

Personally, I'd rather go for carrying the card than being saddled with such a pile of toss through my letter box on my day of rest.
Old 27 June 2005, 07:31 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
yeah, but mine has pictures and couloured text *and* I provided a link, so up yours
Hey, mine had a link I bow to your superior knowledge on the coloured text though

Better let this get back to a good rant for the start of the week
Old 27 June 2005, 08:23 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Heard on the radio this morning that at a projected cost of £18,000,000,000 it's going to now cost us at least £300 each. Not bad for an estimated cost of £39. I suppose we only had to look at the Scottish Parliamentary building to get an idea of just how ****-poor at budgeting the beurocrats are.

W*nkers.
Old 27 June 2005, 09:16 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Why should they care about budgeting? After all it's not them that will have to foot the bill.