Just seen War of the Worlds...

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2005, 11:59 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just seen War of the Worlds... ** SPOLIERS**

Fantastic.

Last edited by Nimbus; 01 July 2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added bit about spoilers for those who have not seen it yet.
Old 01 July 2005, 12:02 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Cool, am gonna see it at weekend
Old 01 July 2005, 10:30 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I saw it last night.
There's some incredible sequences in it.
The tension created in some of the scenes is superb - but overall I was left quite disapointed with the film.
I was hoping Cruises son would get killed as he's so annoying.
They'd taken too much for the fifties film.
The martians looked exactly like the ones in Independance day.

Apparently there's been another film version made recently. Its based more on the original book - anyone know anything about it?

Sum's the film up well this review
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...155629/1/.html

Last edited by Bonehead; 01 July 2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01 July 2005, 10:34 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I saw it last night.
The tension created in some of the scenes is superb - but overall I was left quite disapointed with the film.

Apparently there's been another film version made recently. Its based more on the original book - anyone know anything about it?
It's covered in this thread. Pendragon I believe, direct to DVD, available from Amazon
Old 01 July 2005, 10:39 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
It's covered in this thread. Pendragon I believe, direct to DVD, available from Amazon
Thanks Olly
Old 01 July 2005, 10:41 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Olly
NP!
Old 01 July 2005, 11:32 AM
slut4scooby
Scooby Newbie

i was kinda hopin cruise would be squished to death by a huge alien lol. Am in two minds as to see it or not as i dont like tom cruise and not sure how it would compare with original story line.
I saw it last night.

Old 01 July 2005, 11:39 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

In most Tom Cruise movies, there is at least one scene that includes the Cruise Run.

Old 01 July 2005, 11:44 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Check this out:
http://www.djkeltech.com/video/Worlds_by_DJ_KELTECH.wmv

well, I thought it was amusing.
Old 01 July 2005, 12:22 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I saw it last night.

*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

I agree with your comments.

1) The sequence where the first tripod emerges and starts toasting the population was one of the best, followed by the ferry sceans and being captuered.
2) Although the ending was taken from the book, I think it could have been much better if there was some kind of twist to it and supprise you.
3) Too lovey-dovey at the end. It would have had more impact if some of the main charactures had been killed.
4) Could have been a longer film. I would like to have seen the invasion to have lasted months so we see the world reduced to a few remaining pockets of resistance amid a world dominated by the aliens. In the film, we only see the beginings of their conquest.
5) I could have done without seeing the aliens. Too similar to ID4 for my liking and they lost some of the mistery.

I'll be going to se it again though
Old 01 July 2005, 12:49 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Saw it yesterday as well.as mentioned in the other thread its one loud film.

Agree that I wished the son or daughter died both VERY annoying
Aliens far to 'cute' looking faces that spoilt it
Nice to see the red weed make an appearence

Also what was annoying is that halfway through the film melted(not seen that in a while) and it took about 15 minutes to start it again, got a free pass though
Old 01 July 2005, 02:33 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

I just seen it it was a great film but the end was CRAP
Old 01 July 2005, 02:36 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Apart from the sound and special effects it was just crap. 50's version much better for the tension created.
Old 02 July 2005, 11:39 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Saw it last night.
Very good overall but that girls screaming got right on my ****. Why does Spielberg always do that? I was surprised there wasn't a screaming girl on the beach in Saving Private Ryan
The ending was crap though. Not the fact that it stayed faithful to the book but that all the main characters lived & their house & street were untouched.
The best bit about it though, apart from some of the scenes already mentioned, is that it is told from only one perspective. You don't ever see the big picture. You only get third hand hearsay. It leaves a lot unanswered but added to the movie IMHO.
Old 02 July 2005, 02:52 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down SOME SPOILER

Watched it last night....havent seen the 50s film.

Some of the scenes were amazing, especially where the population were being torched.

however, I didnt understand the story at all....

Why were the aliens burried?
Why did they resurface?
Why did they go all wonky in the end....making an easy kill for the millitary?

Very confusing......due to the crap story line.....

and the ending....Classic Yanky ending..

while Tom Cruise and his little girl battle it out with the aliens, in Bostons, the mum, grand parents and TIM go through the entire experience without breaking a sweat (benefits of living in a posh neighbourhood)

And the son....How the hell did he make it back in one piece...? makes Tom Cruise's choice of NOT going with the millitary and big mistake....

all in all....give it a miss...wait for it on DVD.
Old 02 July 2005, 06:31 PM
Rumplestiltskin!
Scooby Regular

I saw it on Thursday & if you have read the book etc then you wont be dissapointed. If you havn't & go along expecting to see an Independance Day type thing, humans vs aliens, etc, then you will be dissapointed.
They guy I went with hadn't read the book or knew the story & went along expecting the latter (along with many of the audience by the comments I heard after) & almost demanded his money back !

The aliens had been building the tripods upder the ground for years in anticipation of the attack, slightly far fetched but hey. In the book they came down in cylinders. Their home world was dying & they needed another planet to colonise (not explained in the film as to why they were attacking earth)

Keeping faithfull to the book, the aliens died because of bacteria on earth )(that man was now immune to after thousands of years of evolution)

If they were building the tripods under the ground then why they wern't killed by earths bacteria then remains a puzzle !

But yes very odd that the mum's house & street were not even touched when the aliens apparantly struck everywhere. & he son surviving....mmmmm.
Also since when was Ogilvy a deranged hermit that was murdered by the lead character?
I did wonder going into the film if they would tweak the ending, I mean aliens killed by bacteria isn't exactly hollywood is it? But they kept the ending 100% true to the book which has to be admired. I always actually felt that the original ending to the book was pretty lame anyway !

Ro.
Old 02 July 2005, 06:53 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

We saw it last night,

cinematography was sh*te either that or the bloody projectionist was on drugs..

everything on the pherifery of the action kept blurring under movement..

why do they have to shoot it in this bloody stupid private ryan effect its sh*t

erm the martian ship allready here crap!!! if they were here,,, how did they get here??? and why wait a million on years before attacking... crap...

and cruises vehicle was the only one with a working solenoid.... aw come on

and the plane crash... so a jumbo jet falls from the skies and the engine is intact, and free to rotate.... and there happens to be a good path round the wreckage...

and the parson changes into an ambulace driver.. and then takes on the role of the artillery man?? (the tunnel)

and his sugary sweet family just happen to survive, the house is perfect and no looting etc....

(look for the blooper in this scene!!!) and the ferry scenes)

wheres the pendragon one

Mart
Old 02 July 2005, 09:11 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Another blooper at the start after the lightning strike and EMP discharge how come thats blokes video camera still worked when the Tripod starts attacking
Old 06 July 2005, 12:45 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

LOL I noticed that too. There is also a guy taking shots with a stills camera too And on the subject of EMP - I'm sure that the mechanic could replace the battery and other electrical components, but when did they replace the engine ECU which would have also been fried?

Interesting that the van survives another EMP blast when they are in TC's in-laws house - everything else is knocked out. And a Jumbo falls on your house, destroying half the neighbourhood, but leaves the van untouched!

And can anyone tell me how the hell his son is meant to have survived the inferno on top of the hill when everything else was wiped out??

These maybe picky to some people, but it really spoilt the film. I was deeply disappointed if I'm honest. I really wanted to like it, but there was too much that spoilt it. Some of the scripting was awful and the worst thing that any American character can say is 'On my God' - one would suspect that the language - given the circumstances, might be slightly more fruity! They seem to have bent over backwards to get this film a 12A certificate, which obviously widens the audience, but I would say I wouldn't want my 12 year old child seeing that film! It was quite scary and disturbing in parts.

Last edited by Chris L; 06 July 2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06 July 2005, 10:17 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
LOL I noticed that too. There is also a guy taking shots with a stills camera too And on the subject of EMP - I'm sure that the mechanic could replace the battery and other electrical components, but when did they replace the engine ECU which would have also been fried?
EMP will only fry electronics that are turned on, so if he had the camera turned off (and no battery instaleld), or inside a shielded box then it would continue to work.

Interesting that the van survives another EMP blast when they are in TC's in-laws house - everything else is knocked out. And a Jumbo falls on your house, destroying half the neighbourhood, but leaves the van untouched!
If you listened to the dialog you'd know that there was no emp blast when they were in the in-laws house. When the girl asked if the lighteneing was coming back, TC said "no this is something different". Then as they fled to the cellar room, the plane crashed onto the house...

And can anyone tell me how the hell his son is meant to have survived the inferno on top of the hill when everything else was wiped out??
He probably hid behind a tree or something

These maybe picky to some people, but it really spoilt the film.
Yep, that sounds picky to me. It's a summer movie which you aren't supposed to analyze deeply. Just unplug the nbrain and enjoy. I went along expected to be dissapointed (I'm a big fan of the book and the Jeff Wayne version), but was pleasantly surprised. It's ceratinly a lot better than the original film.

As for the other comments about the aliens looking too much like those in ID4. Well, they moved differently, were half the size, and a different shape. Other than that I guess they were similar. Anyway, isn't it concieveable that aliens out there might look similar to each other?

Originally Posted by mart360
cinematography was sh*te either that or the bloody projectionist was on drugs..

everything on the pherifery of the action kept blurring under movement..

why do they have to shoot it in this bloody stupid private ryan effect its sh*t
I thought it effectively portrayed the drama and added extra tension to the athmospehere. Didn't notice any blurring at all where I saw it, although that was in a digital cinema so perhaps the normal film version has problems that the digital one doesn't.

erm the martian ship allready here crap!!! if they were here,,, how did they get here??? and why wait a million on years before attacking... crap...
Well, if you are being like that, you could say the same sort of thing about practically any film made.

and cruises vehicle was the only one with a working solenoid.... aw come on
The mechanic mended it just before cruise got in the car, (didn't you watch that bit?)

and the plane crash... so a jumbo jet falls from the skies and the engine is intact, and free to rotate.... and there happens to be a good path round the wreckage...
So what. Have you never seen footage from a plane wreck. It's usually spead over a wide area, and you see the fire engines etc driving through the middle of the wreckage.

and his sugary sweet family just happen to survive, the house is perfect and no looting etc....
The war machine might have only just stared to attack boston and not gotten to their house yet

Personally, I'd have finished it with TC getting to the house etc, but then realising that his son didn't make it, and pan the camera out with TC collapsing in the road with grief etc...
Old 06 July 2005, 10:58 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I really liked it. But then I'll watch anything and forgive most of the discrepancies in films.

I liked the way Cruises' character doesn't know what to do rather than the usual take control and kill the baddies. The death of the aliens was a little quick for me "oh, they're dead, phew!"

I didn't think the plane crash scene was that bad although for them to just drive out from under it without issue was a bit iffy.

I want to see the pendragon version but that too seems to have love it or hate it reviews.
Old 06 July 2005, 12:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

QUOTE"

So what. Have you never seen footage from a plane wreck. It's usually spead over a wide area, and you see the fire engines etc driving through the middle of the wreckage."
Quote"

dont dispute that, but the whole plane is condensed to within one culdisac sized area, and the engine is still rotating...

reality check here please!!!

M
Old 06 July 2005, 01:14 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Iain Young
As for the other comments about the aliens looking too much like those in ID4. Well, they moved differently, were half the size, and a different shape. Other than that I guess they were similar. Anyway, isn't it concieveable that aliens out there might look similar to each other?
Actually, I think it very unlikely that they would look anything like us. The aliens in ID4 and WOTW were very humanoid (if you ignor the 3 legs/arms ). I would have prefred to see something totally alien and more scarey/creepy. Then you really could fear and loath them. Just look at how people relate to spiders..

As for the critics, the thing is, you can pick holes in any film. You either like a film or you don't. You should not base this on little bits of artistic licence used to tell the story. For me the small issues already mentioned don't detract from my enjoyment of what is a quite dark, scary and moving film.

One thing about the ending though. It may not be as happy as it seems. After both childeren are delivered back to the mum/stepdad, what has Ray got left? They have their family back, and he alone again with no one to take care of...
Old 06 July 2005, 01:40 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

dont dispute that, but the whole plane is condensed to within one culdisac sized area, and the engine is still rotating...

reality check here please!!!

M
Perhaps it was windy, and the wind was making the blades rotate. They are quite free running you know

p.s. Nimbus, I agree that TC got left out in the cold at the end, but if it was me making the film, I'd still have bumped off the son and had a darker ending. It just felt a little too cheesy when compared to the rest of the movie to me...

Still a great film though
Old 06 July 2005, 01:42 PM
Clett
Scooby Regular

I went into the cinema expecting some nice summer film with a gung-ho American's kick the alien's *** type thing....

....Oh how wrong I was!

Bit too scary for me... may have been better mentally prepared for it had it not been a 12A rating!
Old 06 July 2005, 02:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
Actually, I think it very unlikely that they would look anything like us. The aliens in ID4 and WOTW were very humanoid (if you ignor the 3 legs/arms ). I would have prefred to see something totally alien and more scarey/creepy. Then you really could fear and loath them. Just look at how people relate to spiders..
Well, until we actually meet one, nobody can know. In my book, it's just as likely that they will look similar to us as it is that they will look different.

Anyway, who's to say that the aliens in wotw aren't related to the aliens in id4. They never actually said where they came from in either film...

p.s. I like spiders
Old 06 July 2005, 02:55 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Well, until we actually meet one, nobody can know. In my book, it's just as likely that they will look similar to us as it is that they will look different.

Fair comment, but I think it's anthropomorphosizing things too much.

p.s. I like spiders
You're just wierd...
Old 06 July 2005, 03:02 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Old 12 August 2005, 05:00 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Off to see it tonight (finally!!) hope im not disapointed!
Old 12 August 2005, 05:10 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Okay film. Weak storyline and dull ending.

3/5

Bob

Quick Reply: Just seen War of the Worlds...