Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed cameras - Yellow, the new camouflage?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2005, 09:57 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speed cameras - Yellow, the new camouflage?

Has anyone noticed, with the proliferation of speed cameras situated in road works on motorways, that amongst all the other yellow signs and cluttered road furniture they don't stand out any where near as much as I'm sure was intended when the decision was made to go from grey to yellow?

It seems that, now the cameras have to be yellow, they are changing the surroundings to match!
Old 01 July 2005, 09:59 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you also noticed that they seem to "forget" to cut down trees etc from around the Yellow box so you still miss it.
Old 01 July 2005, 10:30 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Anyone who speeds through motorway roadworks is a ****, and gets what they deserve.
Old 01 July 2005, 10:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
Anyone who speeds through motorway roadworks is a ****, and gets what they deserve.
Really? Do you want to rethink that wild generalisation?
Old 01 July 2005, 10:44 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with reffro kinda. It annoys me watching people speed through 50mph posted roadworks on a motorway. Lets be honest, the roadworks are seldom more than a couple of miles long at most and there are often men working there. You must have stood on the hard shoulder as a van/small lorry has hurtled past at 70+. The slipstream effect can be horrendous. A couple of miles at 50 instead of 70 isn't much of a price to pay for a guy's safety is it?
Old 01 July 2005, 10:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I have to agree with reffro kinda. It annoys me watching people speed through 50mph posted roadworks on a motorway. Lets be honest, the roadworks are seldom more than a couple of miles long at most and there are often men working there. You must have stood on the hard shoulder as a van/small lorry has hurtled past at 70+. The slipstream effect can be horrendous. A couple of miles at 50 instead of 70 isn't much of a price to pay for a guy's safety is it?
In most circumstances for most people I'd agree, however, as is so common here, people seem to like to over generalise and make something an absolute that clearly isn't.
Old 01 July 2005, 11:08 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Really? Do you want to rethink that wild generalisation?
No I'll stick by that wild generalisation. Three lanes of traffic whizzing through narrow lanes or a contraflow when the road workers only have traffic cone for protection, is so massively dangerous the workers often can't get life assurance. So anyone who ignores the speed limit of 50mph just so they can get to their destination 42 seconds faster is a ****.

(2 miles at 50mph takes 2.4 mins, at 70mph it takes 1.7, therefore you save yourself 0.7 mins or 42 seconds by ignoring the speed limit.)

Trending Topics

Old 01 July 2005, 11:11 AM
New_scooby_04

Just to get back on topic :-)

There is a speed camera on the A2 which is painted yellow......unfortunately its located in a cutting for breakdowns and is completely -and I do mean completely- obscured from view till it's behind you. Can't believe they get away with that one.

NS04
Old 01 July 2005, 11:14 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

pah that is nothing, my 9 pts out of the 12 i got are from cameras painted green, hiding near/behind trees, on mottram moor,
and most of the roads are downhill
Old 01 July 2005, 11:22 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

No I'll stick by that wild generalisation. Three lanes of traffic whizzing through narrow lanes or a contraflow when the road workers only have traffic cone for protection, is so massively dangerous the workers often can't get life assurance. So anyone who ignores the speed limit of 50mph just so they can get to their destination 42 seconds faster is a ****.

(2 miles at 50mph takes 2.4 mins, at 70mph it takes 1.7, therefore you save yourself 0.7 mins or 42 seconds by ignoring the speed limit.)
I suggest you write to your local MP then and complain about emergency vehicles exceeding the speed limits through roadworks at times when there is nobody actually working them (or indeed when they are) and see how much sympathy you get. Remember you did say "ANYONE".
Old 01 July 2005, 12:34 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

If there are actually any workmen doing any work there I would agree.

There do seem to be rather a lot of coned off areas where there is no-one working though.

Speeding through unmanned roadworks is no worse than past a school at 3.00am...
Old 01 July 2005, 12:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

and when you come out of utopia it goes to rat sh*t

what a typical blinkered calculation.. Nl employee prehaps... camera partnership supporter...

you argument missed one massivivly huge fact......

Traffic!!!!

you arnt the only car on the road, so the sheer volume of other traffic slowed to a crawl, due to p*ss poor traffic mangement turns 1.5secs into 1/2 hour...

they only need 1 simple statement to cure half the problems but hey lets butt*uck the motorist again....

since when did roadworks become hunting grounds for the talivan???

simple lane management would give adequate speed and saftey

M
Old 01 July 2005, 12:46 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Come on guys, you can't have it both ways..

Is it 3am and clear or is it daytime and there's a lot of traffic? Give reffro a chance to argue his case!

FWIW I think that motorway roadworks are one of the few places enforcement cameras are tolerable.
Old 01 July 2005, 12:51 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
pah that is nothing, my 9 pts out of the 12 i got are from cameras painted green, hiding near/behind trees, on mottram moor,
Now they are B@stards - can't belive they paint them green AND hide them behind lamposts and trees!
Old 01 July 2005, 01:03 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Try the M42 J3a to J7 (approx 12 miles) ...the road works were there so long people even now assume its still a 50!!!
Old 01 July 2005, 01:05 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Question

I would generally agree that cameras in motorway roadworks are a tollerable necessity when there are people working so close to moving traffic.

However, I do wonder slightly at the speed limit that has been set in a couple of places around Bristol on the M5 & M4. Here the speed limits have been set at 40mph, rather than the more normal 50mph. This can be a danger in itself as people generally have to slow by 30mph as they enter the roadworks rather than the normal 20 and actually drive past the camera at 35mph!
A lot of residential main roads are set at 40mph, yet the workers at these roadworks also have a steel barrier for protection. And why is the contraflow on the opposite carriageway also 40mph - how's that different to a contraflow with a 50mph limit?
Old 01 July 2005, 01:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveD
I would generally agree that cameras in motorway roadworks are a tollerable necessity when there are people working so close to moving traffic.
I'd rather see traffic police patrolling the area looking out for tired lorry drivers wandering about the lanes or drunk drivers etc who are, IMO going to be much more dangerous to a road worker than somebody who is alert, sober and travelling at 45mph rather than 40mph.
Old 01 July 2005, 02:14 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I'll leave this discussion now, but will leave saying that the limits are there to protect vunerable workers from further danger. Accidents happen, the cause is irrelevant, but whilst I don't believe speed kills, higher speeds lead to greater injuries if the worse does happen.

You invariably don't have a hard shoulder to use, so if you swerve to avoid an accident you'll either be moving into other traffic lanes potentially hitting another vehicle or into the coned off working area where you might hit a person working there. I'd rather limit mine, and everyone elses speed to 50 mph whilst you are in roadworks on the motorway, because it's sensible to limit the damage/hurt if an accident does occur.
Old 01 July 2005, 03:53 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

When I went through the M4 J18 Bath roadworks recently, I saw someone had obviously been caught had gone back and torched the camera. That made me smile
Old 01 July 2005, 10:22 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

I'll leave this discussion now, but will leave saying that the limits are there to protect vunerable workers from further danger.
...except that THERE ARE NEVER ANY WORKERS!!!!!

Just mile after mile of cones and cameras with nothing happening (like DazW said about the M42 above).

If safety was the real motivator, roadworks would be completed in days, rather than years

mb
Old 01 July 2005, 10:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Reffro I tend to agree with you. EVERY DAY FOR THE PAST 3 MONTHS I do 40 mph on the A470 restrictions near Cardiff. I AM SICK OF THE F'IN MEATHEADS WHO FEEL THAT 70 MPH REMAINS APPROPRIATE IN THIS RESTRICTION. This is especially so as they may feel they 'make up' for me passing them earlier on a 'low' hazard road.

The only thing with this, my angry rant, is that I have NEVER [in 3 months] seen ANY workmen... Can anyone confirm that they work 11:00 to 15:00 yet prosectution is perfectl;y valid 24/7?

Still, an indicated 33 mpg from 450bhp is nice now and again

D
Old 02 July 2005, 08:41 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

wwp8
I know the cameras your talking about, can't you use your brakes?
The local councils argument for keeping them green is to "not tarnish the ambience of the green nature in the surrounding area"
And of course, it generates more revenue because you cant see them.
chris.
Old 02 July 2005, 11:34 AM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I dont think people are generally ***** for speeding through road works BUT it is very wrong. i hate speed cameras but they are there in road works for a reason - to protect the work force.

Agreed though that roadworks are set up for too long.

I mean come on - You are doing 70 in a 50 zone and you need to swerve do you a) hit the huge lorry on your right and die or b) hit the guy in his yellow jacket on the left who you dont even know and more than likely live!!!

People should have a little more respect in the motorway roadworks. There may be no-one in the coned off area for two weeks and the day you decide to speed is the day you may kill someone - think about it.

Last edited by ScooBStu; 02 July 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02 July 2005, 12:05 PM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

there is roadworks on the orwell bridge on a14 at ipswich and they have spec cameras while they work not a problem you would think, well at night time there are 2 sets of floodlights on both side of the bridge as its coned of both ways and yes you guessed it these floodlights are about 3 metres in front of the cameras so when you look up they blind you so you cant see them