Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Caterham experience silverstone

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2005, 06:50 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caterham experience silverstone

Has anyone been on this??Think there R400's they use,9 laps with a tutor and then 1 flyer with him behind the wheel..

Thinking of booking it for the missus birthday..Think Rallying may be a bit too much as its her first go at anything other than scaring me to death!!!
Old 05 July 2005, 07:19 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Talking

This really sounds like the standard practise of married couples

"Here Love I got you a Caterham experience"
"But why the **** do I want that then. I wanted a DVD player"
"Oh OK, well I cant get a refund so I'll do the day and get you a DVD player on the way home"

Obvious question is what would she prefer? Theres a few different drive days at Silverstone. Maybe she'd prefer a Ferrari day. Caterhams arent the most "girly" of cars. And she may be consious of looking daft getting in and out of the thing.
Old 05 July 2005, 07:26 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I did ask her 1st..I aint that bad!!! lol..She does fancy it,i thought about the ferrari's,havin driven a few myself,for an inexperienced driver like her,i think she may find it hard going,and a bit heavy.She is only smallish,but likes quick cars,she has an E36 M3 herself..But lacks being able to drive it within 50% of its capability..Just thought it could be a good introduction into getting her a bit quicker in a similar(ish) car???
Old 05 July 2005, 07:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I dont think you get an awful long time in the cars.

I would imagine 3 laps, change driver, wait around, another 3 laps, change driver, wait around, and the final 3 laps with a hot one a the end.

My GF did the rally one, and commented that it was fun, but she would feel dissapointed if she would have spent her own money on it. But then she has done a fair bit of driving anyway.
Old 05 July 2005, 07:35 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Cats are fairly nippy. Probably more so than the 355 or 911.

Im with Davyboy (well his wife on the opinions) though. I did a £495 106/Caterham/Skid car day a few years back. Lot of money, didn't include any lunch IIRC either. And tbh not run that well. As said lots of people so very little time in the car. You're just getting into it and your go is over.

Personally I think if she could take her own car on a trackday (Bedford has big run offs if thats the concern) she'll enjoy it more. More time in the car and cheaper.
Old 05 July 2005, 07:40 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Yea,i know what your saying about the track day,ive tried before to get her to do it...She aint happy with the "own car" bit.
I reckon you will only get about 20 mins in the cat tops..think this could be more than enough to tell you the truth,think her knee's will be knockin...its only £150..So its not a massive amount to lose if she goes into meltdown..!!
Old 05 July 2005, 08:02 PM
MrsC_772
Scooby Newbie

How tall is she? I'm just under 5'3 and my other half used to have a Westfield (not unlike a Caterham) - I couldn't drive it because my legs were too short to be able to stamp on the pedals, and my arms were stretched out straight ahead. I don't know if the Caterham is any better than a Westy, but I wonder whether a more mainstream car might be a better bet for a track day. (I've done a track day in an Elise at Thruxton before and that was fine).
Old 05 July 2005, 08:54 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

She is 5.4"..says min height 5.2"..So she should be ok..The elise is a nice thought tho...now you got me thinkin!!!
Old 05 July 2005, 09:01 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

how much do you want to spend? the Palmer driving days cannot be beat IMHO.

http://www.motorsportsensation.com/

Drive all these cars Formula Palmer Audi, Nissan 350Z, Renault Clio Cup Racer,
Nissan Pathfinder, Palmer Jaguar JP1, Mitsubishi Evo VI, Caterham 7 Superlight
Old 05 July 2005, 09:32 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I did the silverstone caterham thing. You get an academy type car, not an R400 but if (like me) you'd never been in a caterham or driven on a track before, you are really not missing the performance. It was a good experience, although frankly I was pretty rubbish, it's quite hard to get into a car like that for the first time and drive quickly, straight away, on track.

afaicr I did about 7 laps, and then the instructor took me out for a hot lap, during which we were sideways for most of the time.

My highlight was definitely when I hooked up second instead of fourth, changing down into a corner. I was quite surprised that the back tyres stopped going around, but the car didn't break. The instructor was yelling "clucth!" "clutch!" I was wondering who had yanked the handbrake