Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: What are our options?
Pull out of Iraq and hope this pacifies the bombers.
2.99%
Pull out of the Middle East both militarily and politically.
20.90%
Terrorism won't deter us. Carry on as normal.
64.18%
Try to sort this whole mess out democratically and responsibly.
11.94%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

London bombings. Cave in or dig in?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2005, 02:59 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London bombings. Cave in or dig in?

A simple straw pole to see how people see things currently. I'm open to suggestions as to how we solve this whole problem - constructively.

Last edited by Flatcapdriver; 22 July 2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 22 July 2005, 02:59 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Whats 'cave in' though

Matt
Old 22 July 2005, 03:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Give in and it will get 10 times worse IMO.
Old 22 July 2005, 03:03 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Just give more guns out.. anyone looks suspicious shoot lol
Old 22 July 2005, 03:05 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Strewth, you lot are voting before I've even finished the poll! IT - not my strong point.
Old 22 July 2005, 03:07 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Just give more guns out.. anyone looks suspicious shoot lol
What? Like a grown ups version of British Bulldogs? Last man standing - I can think of a few neighbours I'd like to have a chat with.
Old 22 July 2005, 03:09 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL... I said suspicious people not just anyone you hate
Old 22 July 2005, 03:12 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
LOL... I said suspicious people not just anyone you hate
I've just moved from one house that had no neighbours whatsoever to one with about ten. They all look suspicious to me. What happens if they want to talk to me? I'm not used to it.
Old 22 July 2005, 03:13 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

fire the scoob up and keep revving it til you cant hear them, if that fails get a louder exhaust
Old 22 July 2005, 03:15 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Where is the - 'Sack Blair and hope this pacifies the bombers'. option?

Old 22 July 2005, 04:46 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by OllyK
Give in and it will get 10 times worse IMO.

its a no win situation if u cave in, they will say we defeated them and any foreign interest in other countries they will attack all the time

and if u dont, still stuck they will use the excuse to bring more terror and brainwash more

its fecking hard olly i agree

and i dont understand if tomorrow iraq is free, whats going to happen, r zarqawis mob gonna take over or is it gonna be like the taliban style or r the iranians gonna get the shia muslims to change the face of iraq in life with iran

or r the people gonna be free without bloodshed

so fecking hard to tell whats gonna happen
Old 22 July 2005, 04:54 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

Given that most people have said 'terrorism won't deter us...' does that mean those people advocate the what the West is doing in the Middle East?
Old 22 July 2005, 04:54 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I think the bombers will stop when the UK becomes an Islamic state, and is under Islamic law, isnt that their overall goal?
Old 22 July 2005, 05:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CoobyS
Given that most people have said 'terrorism won't deter us...' does that mean those people advocate the what the West is doing in the Middle East?
Nope, the Middle East policy of the west has got us in to the mess. We need to sort it out, but caving in to the terrorists is not the way.
Old 22 July 2005, 05:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
I think the bombers will stop when the UK becomes an Islamic state, and is under Islamic law, isnt that their overall goal?
I wasn't aware any of the bombers had made any claims. I know an ostensibly Islamic Fundamentalist group has claimed responsibility, but I haven't heard if they have provided a reason or any demands, if you know different can you enlighten us?
Old 22 July 2005, 05:03 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

We have to see the lot of it through. Though even if we pull off some kind of amazing coup in Iraq and end up with an integrated, democratic, wealthy Iraqi society, it still won't stop though.

So long as the Israeli, Palestinian issue remains and so long as we need to dig minerals out of the middle east to support our infrastructure, there are going to be problems.

I want to see a working Iraqi state, post invasion. If we pull out before that, then I'm sorry but Blair and Bush need locking up. Not that we'll ever pull out IMO.

J.
Old 22 July 2005, 05:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

no bull**** if the archbishop was our prime minister and the usa had john kerry

their would have been so much peace in the world i have so much faith in these 2 guys

its a pity it will never be
Old 22 July 2005, 05:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo

I want to see a working Iraqi state, post invasion. If we pull out before that, then I'm sorry but Blair and Bush need locking up. Not that we'll ever pull out IMO.

J.
It depends, the US have fought and lost a guerilla war before, if the US casualties start to rise dramatically they could well pull out, they don't want a Vietnam 2
Old 22 July 2005, 05:09 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

Question

Nope, the Middle East policy of the west has got us in to the mess. We need to sort it out, but caving in to the terrorists is not the way.
Whats the difference between 'caving into the terrorists' and 'We need to sort it out'???
Old 22 July 2005, 05:14 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Whats the difference between 'caving into the terrorists' and 'We need to sort it out'???
Caving in means we do whatever the terrorist want - I assume that's mostly getting the west off muslim territory.

Sorting it out - if I had the answer to that I'd be up for the Nobel peace prize.

We can't just give in or we'll become an even bigger target, but on the other hand we can't just carry on doing what we are doing either.
Old 22 July 2005, 05:19 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

Question

Caving in means we do whatever the terrorist want - I assume that's mostly getting the west off muslim territory.

Sorting it out - if I had the answer to that I'd be up for the Nobel peace prize.

We can't just give in or we'll become an even bigger target, but on the other hand we can't just carry on doing what we are doing either.
The logical fallacy I see in your argument is that you don't know what 'sorting out' is however you assert it is distinctive from 'caving in'.

What if the terrorist wants us to 'sort it out', then isn't that caving in?
Old 22 July 2005, 05:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The logical fallacy I see in your argument is that you don't know what 'sorting out' is however you assert it is distinctive from 'caving in'.

What if the terrorist wants us to 'sort it out', then isn't that caving in?
And unknown is not a logical fallacy, it is just that, an unknown.

To pull out of Iraq now would be disasterous, but we do need to pull out as quickly as possible without leaving the country in mayhem. There is a sublte difference there. How we go about achieving sufficient stability and security to allow us to pull out and let the Iraqi's govern themselves without incurring these attacks in the meantime is the million dollar question.
Old 22 July 2005, 06:17 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

And unknown is not a logical fallacy, it is just that, an unknown.

To pull out of Iraq now would be disasterous, but we do need to pull out as quickly as possible without leaving the country in mayhem. There is a sublte difference there. How we go about achieving sufficient stability and security to allow us to pull out and let the Iraqi's govern themselves without incurring these attacks in the meantime is the million dollar question.
Taking an unknown and equating it to something that is known, absolutely, is a logical fallacy.

Whilst I agree that pulling out of Iraq quickly in a structured manner may go some way to solving the problems and caving in to the terrorists demands, it still leaves the question about the rest of the middle east the West has been involved in rather open.

Nothing seems to suggest that the terrorists demands is indifferent to solving the problems of the West being in the middle east.
Old 22 July 2005, 06:27 PM
JohnRoly
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter what we do in the middle east, there will always be a reason for them to hate the west, it is our lifestyle and our ideals they are against.
The only way we can hope to combat this is by the Muslim communities breaking their silence and naming names. No outsiders can get inside, so the information must come from within.

Until then, unfortunately my view is tainted - I will be warming my hands by the nearest burning mosque tonight if anybody needs me (joke, before you all start throwing your toys!!!)
Old 22 July 2005, 06:33 PM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.
Talking

Originally Posted by JohnRoly
Doesn't matter what we do in the middle east, there will always be a reason for them to hate the west, it is our lifestyle and our ideals they are against.
The only way we can hope to combat this is by the Muslim communities breaking their silence and naming names. No outsiders can get inside, so the information must come from within.
That's what Tony Blair tells us, so it must be untrue.

Old 22 July 2005, 06:37 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Default I know!

Why not just engage in hostilities, with countries/organisations that represent a genuine threat to us?

If you use this policy with consistency, I see no reason why people will attack you if they know they will get it back, seemed to work during the Cold War, think it also works in the schoolyard. With that we can formulate an exit strategy from these sorts of places, but with that warning in the background.

Before anyone says I know this is different, not a Cold War etc. However, the basic principle of "Talk softly and carry a big stick" is a clearly understood political principle, IMO.

Afghanistan and Iraq, as nations had done nothing to us, but we attacked them, people dont like that and are responding in various ways, Suicide Bombing being one of them.

I know OBL was hiding out with the Taliban, but I am sure that if there had been a (political) will there would have been a (political) way. No country in the World, even friends of theirs like Pakistan would have supported them and the Taliban would have simply handed him over, be it for a ransom or perhaps even recognition as a sovereign govt. (or some other political benefit)

So it might have taken a few months, no govt likes to be ridden roughshod over, but thats what we did to the Taliban because we wanted to take them out.

Thats what happened to Saddam too, he had dismantled everything he had in terms of WMD and just got thoroughly hacked off with continual demands for inspections etc. so threw them out. That provided the flimsiest of excuses and war was inevitable.

Just my tuppence.

Asif
Old 22 July 2005, 06:47 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Until then, unfortunately my view is tainted - I will be warming my hands by the nearest burning mosque tonight if anybody needs me (joke, before you all start throwing your toys!!!)
What a strange post?

You've read all this have you? This isn't the Mafia we're talking about, its millions of people, spread all over the country, who dont all know each other. So I should know the bombers from Leeds should I? Because I am a Muslim from London?

Oh silly me! I remember now, my old mate Abdul from Leeds was just saying the other week that he was popping down to London for a day trip on the train. I told him he could get a Same Day Saver, but he said he just wanted one way, told me he was looking for an explosive time down here! If only I had called the police!!

If only I had that sort of clairvoyancy. Get real.

As for burning mosques, I suggest someone like you shouldn't play with matches.

Asif
Old 22 July 2005, 08:19 PM
JohnRoly
Scooby Regular

I am not suggesting for one minute that the entire Muslim community is so close that everybody knows everybody, and I am by no means a racist (you are probably right about the matches though!!). But are you telling me that you do not live in a tight knit community?
I have been an active protestor against the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and whole heartedly disagree with our foreign policy, yet by working in London I am at risk of becoming a statistic, and that annoys me.
Old 22 July 2005, 08:30 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

if u do that i swear me personally will burn your *** and spread the ashes in river ********
Old 22 July 2005, 08:34 PM
the rook
Scooby Newbie

by working in London I am at risk of becoming a statistic, and that annoys me.
its actually rather funny to see all you english guys ****ting yourselves now bombers are in your backyard, rather strange to think i've lasted through 25 years of ira murder and now where i live, northern ireland, is more than likely the safest part of the uk.

Quick Reply: London bombings. Cave in or dig in?