Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police on shoot to kill

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2005, 10:14 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Police on shoot to kill

Looking at the current stories surrounding Thursday and Today it seems that armed police are on a shoot to kill order [though not confirmed].

Personally I think it's good. Though it has flaws. My opinion is the police should do whatever they can to protect civillians. In this case it seems they had some cause to open fire and if they guy was trying to detonate a bomb then reasonable force was used.

I'm sure there are a few that disagree.

Roo
Old 23 July 2005, 12:01 AM
darren...
Scooby Regular

I believe the ruling is that if police believe that the suspect is about to detonate a bomb then they are instructed to shoot to kill on the grounds that it will save the lives of the people nearby.
Old 23 July 2005, 12:17 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

I would like to buy that copper a drink for his work well done today under the circumstances(sp)

Keep up the good work boys in blue
Old 23 July 2005, 12:28 AM
darren...
Scooby Regular

I believe there were about 10 of them - but I'll pay for half the round if you like...
Old 23 July 2005, 12:29 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Mmm, despite what I have seen in the news, I'm not convinced the police have a generic "shoot to kill" policy. Generally speaking, when shooting someone, you aim for the centre of mass (the torso). This gives the greatest chance of hitting your target because even the best marksman may not hit their point of aim.

Forget the Hollywood bull$hit about shooting someone in the legs with a pistol at 500 yards.

To "shoot to kill" with a pistol, you have to be damned close, and utterly convinced that it is the last possible resort. With the recent court cases surrounding armed police, I doubt any of them will be prepared to put 5 shots into a person from point blank range (as has been reported).

If the shooting today was performed by a secret service type character, then we are talking a whole different ball game.
Old 23 July 2005, 12:29 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darren...
I believe there were about 10 of them - but I'll pay for half the round if you like...
10 of them, that makes it a much better chance of hitting them
Old 23 July 2005, 12:51 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

If they are operating a blanket "shoot to kill" policy then they are very, very stupid.

I find it hard to believe personally.....
Old 23 July 2005, 12:57 AM
Kaiser Soze
Scooby Regular

In the words of the great Spok.

"The needs of the many outway the needs of the few"

I pray for a day that our law enforcers carry firearms visible for all to see
Old 23 July 2005, 01:24 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kaiser Soze
I pray for a day that our law enforcers carry firearms visible for all to see
I would consider it a sad day when British police are routinely armed.
Old 23 July 2005, 01:42 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Roo
.....it seems that armed police are on a shoot to kill order [though not confirmed].
Who said it was the Police? Much more likely to be SAS, police dont tend to use pistols, SO19 tend to use an MP5....
Old 23 July 2005, 04:37 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Who said it was the Police? Much more likely to be SAS,
What,with only 5 rounds?Nah they,ve got better things to do right now.
Old 23 July 2005, 07:46 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Mmm, despite what I have seen in the news, I'm not convinced the police have a generic "shoot to kill" policy. Generally speaking, when shooting someone, you aim for the centre of mass (the torso). This gives the greatest chance of hitting your target because even the best marksman may not hit their point of aim.

Forget the Hollywood bull$hit about shooting someone in the legs with a pistol at 500 yards.

To "shoot to kill" with a pistol, you have to be damned close, and utterly convinced that it is the last possible resort. With the recent court cases surrounding armed police, I doubt any of them will be prepared to put 5 shots into a person from point blank range (as has been reported).

If the shooting today was performed by a secret service type character, then we are talking a whole different ball game.
Apparently they are on a shoot to kill if they believe that other lives are at risk. They have taken advice from Israelipolice regarding how to deal with these situations.They were told in simple terms shot to the head and hopefully that will shut down the nervous system to prevent them pushing any buttons.

The reason why they used 5 shots was that the handguns they use have low velocity bullets to prevent serious injury...or death to the public.

Roo
Old 23 July 2005, 07:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Armed police will shoot to kill any time they are forced to open fire. In the case of suspected suicide bombers they are now trained to go for a head shot instead of the torso shot, which is normal which might detonate the bomb.

Les
Old 23 July 2005, 07:53 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Quite rightly the SOP is now shoot to kill if it is believed the suspect is about to detonate a bomb. There is no other option for obvious reasons.

Well done to the police yesterday,their gloves are clearly off now and not a day too early. I just hope the PC do-gooders don't start demanding enquiries/prosecutions because some scumbag Muslim terrorist had his human rights infringed by a hail of bullets.
Old 23 July 2005, 08:35 AM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

If it was in any way linked to the regiment or military CQB trained I would have expected a double tap, 5 shots? nah, two to the head, rapid succesion, anyone who thinks any policy but a shoot to kill policy exists will believe the shoot to disable line, side effect being killed, tough but if life is considered to be at risk then that risk of killing has to be taken.
Old 23 July 2005, 08:52 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

A young asian guy is shot dead in london for running away from 3 guys with guns dressed in civilian clothing.

The police had 3 guys on top of the lad! Why shoot him 5 times?? he was already restrained! He did not have a bomb on him. He may have not understood english, not everyone in london can!

I think there will be hell to pay over this and the 3 policemen should be suspended following investigation.

They cant go shooting every young asian guy in london because they 'believe' him to be carrying a bomb!
Old 23 July 2005, 09:06 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
A young asian guy is shot dead in london for running away from 3 guys with guns dressed in civilian clothing.

The police had 3 guys on top of the lad! Why shoot him 5 times?? he was already restrained! He did not have a bomb on him. He may have not understood english, not everyone in london can!

I think there will be hell to pay over this and the 3 policemen should be suspended following investigation.

They cant go shooting every young asian guy in london because they 'believe' him to be carrying a bomb!

No Sorry they wore visable police flak jackets on and if he had nothing to fear Why did he run?? Well done boys in blue, If I knew who you were as Huxley said I'll buy you a pint, It's about time this scum knew what they were dealing with.
Cheers
Colin
Old 23 July 2005, 09:10 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

He was followed out out a flat being watched, he was already a suspect ,he went into the a packed tube ,every body knows the command STOP POLICE even non english speakers
The police did the right thing
Difficult times require extreme measures
Thankfully it seems the police are now using them
Old 23 July 2005, 09:11 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't you run from 3 'civilians' with guns.

Where did it say they were wearing police flak jackets? Hardly undercover if they were and why not just wear police uniform?

The guy may have been completely innocent. No bombs found on body i would assume he was!

5 shots into him when he was restrained! Surely by bundling on top of him they would have felt if he was wrapped in explosives?

If he was followed out of a flat, why wait until he was in a populated area and not deal with him as he left his residence?

This will now be an excuse for the jihad mob to react!

Last edited by Mitchy260; 23 July 2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 23 July 2005, 09:15 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

mitchy what would you have said if he did have a bomb and 50 people where dead

(the police should have more) (no doubt)
Old 23 July 2005, 09:24 AM
rizla06
Scooby Regular

You're making out that it was just a young Asian guy off the steet that the police picked on.

This from Scotsman shows otherwise.
The Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Ian Blair, said the shooting was "directly linked" to an ongoing and expanding anti-terrorist operation: "I need to make clear that any death is deeply regrettable, but as I understand the situation, the man was challenged and refused to obey police instructions."
It appeared, however, that the man was not one of the four identified by police in the CCTV images. Police said that he had been "under police observation because he had emerged from a house that was itself under observation because it was linked to the investigation of [Thursday's] incidents".

"He was then followed by surveillance officers to the station. His clothing and his behaviour at the station added to their suspicions."
Old 23 July 2005, 09:34 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

In a court of law, 'I thought' isn't good enough!

Did he ignore the warning as they were dressed as civilians or did he have trouble understanding english?

Weren't the police officers prosecuted for the incident where they shot a man believed to have been carrying a shot gun when it was indeed a table leg!

Why shoot 5 rounds into him! Not 1 or 2 but 5!
Why did they kill him as he was restrained with 3 men on top of him! You would be able to feel if he was wrapped in explosives! Why did they jump on him if they 'believed' he was a suicide bomber? Why not shoot him from a distance to protect themselves?

Lots of questions that probably wont be answered.
Old 23 July 2005, 09:53 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

The big question, the one that could end these "cops" jobs is:

Was he carrying explosives ?

If so job well done, otherwise I hope they get banged up for a long long time.
Old 23 July 2005, 09:58 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

"....and the award for **** of the year, goes to....."
Old 23 July 2005, 10:01 AM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Who said it was the Police? Much more likely to be SAS, police dont tend to use pistols, SO19 tend to use an MP5....
I tend to agree they are more likely to be special forces operating around London monitoring people who are suspected to be ACTIVE terrorists. SAS etc are trained to fire multiple shots into there target to MAKE SURE they do'nt get up again.

Considering the guy could have had a bomb, was headed for the underground where the bombers have been targeting, linked to the fact that the bombers accept they will die in the process ............. what real choice did the guys giving have exactly????????????? It could have been a very different report on the news, with more INNOCENT people blown up.
Old 23 July 2005, 10:11 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Taff107
"....and the award for **** of the year, goes to....."
Yeah because a young 'innocent' asian with no bomb was gunned down in front of an array of people.

Innocent until proven guilty or does that not count for young asian lads!

No bomb= no threat
Old 23 July 2005, 10:26 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Shot an innocent you mean

No bomb was found FFS.

Why let him walk into the rail network when he had been pursued from his home address? Why not deal with him on his doorstep?

Your the fool if you think its alright to go gunning down 'innocent' people.

We dont live in israel ffs

The coppers will be suspended due to further investigation! I'd put my house on it!

Last edited by Mitchy260; 23 July 2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 23 July 2005, 10:28 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

why would the SAS be monitoring this bloke when the police have plenty of counter terrorist officers?
Old 23 July 2005, 10:30 AM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DocJock
If they are operating a blanket "shoot to kill" policy then they are very, very stupid.

I find it hard to believe personally.....
I agree and doubt it very very much....Police use a Use of Force Continuum which goes from verbal only up to lethal force. The trick of any officer, but obviously most relevant for an armed officer, is judging very quickly what amount of force is required....couple that with the overriding "prime directive" of protect life, then sure they'll pull the trigger if they have to.

How often do you ever hear of police pulling the trigger in this country...a couple of times a year maybe??? They must have had a damn good reason this time round.....but shoot to kill, no way.....the bloke is much more useful as a source of intelligence to stop further problems

Quick Reply: Police on shoot to kill