Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Maldives......reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2005, 12:11 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maldives......reccomendations

planning to go in Oct as i agther the rainy season is over then...will it still be hot?

Which is a good island? I want quiet (no kids or too touristy) but not so remote that they havent heard of air con! also dont want nutty expensive.

Best to book last minute? direct with resort? all inclusive?

Never dived before.......will prob give it a go so is it best to role up at a lesson on the island as a newbie or better to get a few lessons in a pool here first?

T

ps- wife wanst to know if:

sea plane will crash from Male to the island

how likely is a shark attack

how likely is a tidal wave
Old 23 July 2005, 12:49 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Also looking to book a trip to the Maldives, but for April / May 2006, so also interested in what the scoobynet community thinks

Bob
Old 23 July 2005, 06:09 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ But we;ve been to Kuredu and hakura beach club. Both excellent in their own ways.Since we went back! Not sure there is a "touristy" Maldivan resort. Also kids...... barely saw anyone on our part of the beach. So chilled resented people walking past. Been in July and November. November better. Awesome diving.
Old 23 July 2005, 11:43 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The sharks don't bother you, while snorkelling I was circled by a 4-5ft black tip reef shark that just wanted a look at me then it swam off.

You should be more concerned about the stone fish

It is a truly superb place, we went to Villivaru with Kuoni in 1990. 10 mins to walk round the island or 1 hour to swim round it - the marine life is absolutely amazing.
Old 24 July 2005, 12:46 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's almost 5 years ago now, but we spent the last two weeks of our honeymoon on Athuruga with Kuoni. It's an all inclusive resort in the south ari atoll. Everything was good quality and the island featured a Swiss-owned dive school too.

HTH

Suresh
Old 24 July 2005, 10:24 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I did two consecutive years at Thudafushi - also owns the Athuruga island too with the crab diving school. I'm sure it was Italian owners though? Not sure if the island is still there though as they were desperately batteling with a dissapearing shoreline next to the main restaraunt the last time we were there - however, I will return because it is the most beautiful place in the world in my eyes. The kids absolutely adored it and the snorkelling was out of this world. One hint, don't rub your face after touching a jelly blob on the sea floor and don't approach the turtles that swim with you - one took a snap at my fingers LOL.
Old 24 July 2005, 10:30 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

We went here: http://www.aitkenspenceholidays.com/...x_nonflash.htm

for our Honeymoon... absolutely stunning. There is a dive school there as well (if you want to get your open water certificate) and there are excursions if you choose.

The food was just great, you have your own waiter, your own table, it's all inclusive and if you want peace and quiet, it is just the best.

It takes just 40 mins to walk (very slowly) around the island, and not a huge lot more to kayak around.... we're gonna go back just as soon as we can afford to, they were the best two weeks of our lives
Old 24 July 2005, 10:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If you are going all that way then I would consider the Seychelles, more to do but more expensive. dl
Old 24 July 2005, 01:43 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
planning to go in Oct as i agther the rainy season is over then...will it still be hot?

Which is a good island? I want quiet (no kids or too touristy) but not so remote that they havent heard of air con! also dont want nutty expensive.

Best to book last minute? direct with resort? all inclusive?

Never dived before.......will prob give it a go so is it best to role up at a lesson on the island as a newbie or better to get a few lessons in a pool here first?

T

Been to the Maldives twice now, went here last time:

http://www.veliganduisland.com/

very good, read some of the reviews... Weather is pretty consistant all year round... Just make sure you dive while you are there, brilliant...
Old 24 July 2005, 03:38 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Went to Meerufenfushi in April this year. The temperature is an average 30c all year round but april-sep is the wet season.

Here are some pics of our trip so you know what its like:

http://community.webshots.com/album/331889385bERABr

Make sure you take factor 40 for the first few days. The sun is fierce being so close to the equator.

If your the kind of person who wants to do something every night then the maldives arent for you or simply go for 7 nights (seems pointless to me seeing as its takes half a day to get there). If you want to get a tan, relax and forgot about the hustle and bustle of daily life then its the place to go.

Diving is obviously very popular. Might be an idea to pass your exams in the UK and then get more dive time whilst out there. Ive also heard safety is a lot more lax out there than here in the UK so good to know how to look after yourself before you arrive.

Best thing we did was a cruise on an old schooner. An all day event with all food and drink provided. Loads of snorkelling where you get to see turtles, sharks and rays. Also spent 30 mins sailing with dolphins - loads of em. Lovely lunch onboard then dropped off on a sandbank for more snorkelling.

Id advise fullboard minimum (unless the island you go to has several eating places and you like variety). Only go all inc if your a big boozer. We went FB and had lots of drinks each night and still spent a lot less then if wed have paid All inc (this was over 2 weeks).

Our island let you upgrade when you arrived. Deals a lot better than travel agents. All inc also cheaper when you arrive.

Would recommend seaplane transfers especially if you island is an hour or more by boat from Male airport.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 24 July 2005, 03:43 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs

Lol got carried away and didnt answer your questions.

1) Seaplane took 10 mins instead of 1hr by boat for us (North Male Atoll). They are very crowded, very hot (fans no aircon) and very noisy lots of vibrations. If you are a "larger" person or arent keen on flying then wouldnt recommend it.

2) Lots of black tipped reef sharks swim at the shoreline as do stingrays. They dont bother you unless you step on them. Just watch where you are stepping. Worth buying some coral shoes for walking in the sea.

3) Not sure on the stats for tidal waves. One thing I can tell you is that going in April we were worried if our resort would be back to full strength when we arrived. Luckily it has its own bbs in the Uk and we spoke with lots of other people who told us all was ok. When we arrived you wouldnt have even known theyd been hit.

Any other questions just ask.

Simon.
Old 24 July 2005, 05:05 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

We went to http://www.cocopalm.com Fantastic. Wouldn't go for more than 10 days though. It was damn expensive though ! We upgraded to a water bungalow for the last three nights. Ouch!

Superb holiday.

We did have a moment on our return trip in the sea plane, landed on one ski and turned very sharply followed by a sudden intervention by the senior pilot :wow:
I was taking a good look at the escape hatch on the roof...
Also, carrying on about the comments on the plane, they are EXTREMELY hot and if you are unluky enough to be on an island some way from Male, your quoted 30 mins by sea plane could take 2 hours like our did.... That was nasty. Good side was you got to see many of the other islands.

Return flight times and sea plane fly times meant we had to kill nearly 12 hours in Male... Did the tour but by that time you just want to get home.

We had sharks swimming around the water bungalows at night but were told they never bothered anyone.
Old 24 July 2005, 05:52 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you do go on a sea plane - sit at the back... the attendant knows how bad it can be and turns the vent straight across himself and subsequently you... I was lovely and cool on the way out
Old 24 July 2005, 06:02 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

its a beautiful place

but it will sink if another tsunami comes so i say dont go its already near the water
Old 24 July 2005, 06:04 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

here

by the way tiggs maldives r sunni muslims spiritualists not extreme but moderate spiritual ones