Barcodes

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2005, 04:55 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barcodes

Hi,

I'm currently in the initial stages of setting up a business. I will be selling products to the trade and public. A lot of selling will be done to garden centres, as a result we will require all our products to have a barcode.

Does anyone have any info or any links to any sites that explain exactly how you go about generating barcode numbers for your products?

I think you need to register with an organisation who will allocate you a unique supplier ref. but any links whilst searching the 'net have been dead or partially dead so not much use

Thanks,

Gareth
Old 23 July 2005, 05:36 PM
slickrick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

look here,

http://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php
Old 23 July 2005, 07:35 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Used these guys in the past for some barcoding hardware, they seemed pretty clued up so could be some help to you.

http://www.barcodesforbusiness.co.uk/

Good luck.
Old 24 July 2005, 11:00 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

alternativly, get a barcode font for windows and print your own.. We do this all the time at work to print our own labels.
Old 24 July 2005, 09:26 PM
ChrisB

If you want to get your own range of EAN 13 barcode numbers, you apply to GS1 UK (formally e-centre). If you'll be supplying other businesses then having your range might be requested either now or in the future. You could wait until somebody requests EAN 13 or EAN 8 codes but it might be a good idea to get set-up properly from day 1 and avoid having to change in the future.

I've sourced a number of barcode fonts from Fontware. They supply some VBA modules with barcodes like EAN to make calculating the check digit easier (althought that isn't that hard to do yourself).

I've helped people do applications to e-centre for an EAN block. It used to be a few pages of form filling and you predicted how many product lines you'd have as the codes are allocated in different sized blocks (choice of three sizes). You had to pay a fee with the application and, IIRC, you have to renew each year to keep your allocation.

HTH,

Chris.