DV in

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 05:04 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question DV in

Hello

I want to buy a DVD recorder and had considered the Pioneer DVR420 HS but it doesnt have a DVin, although I can attach my Camcorder via Phonos and S-VHS

Question is, what is the big difference in having DV in against the traditional Phono connections, I want the DVD recorder for copying from Mini DV onto DVD, and tranferring from old VHS onto DVD can I assume that I can save ontio the HDD then edit the crap off the recording before then copying from HDD to DVD ???

Any experts about??

Cheers

Dave
Old 31 July 2005, 11:44 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think you'll need the circuit designers help on this one!

My feeling however is that there will not be much in it as the DVD will have to transcode from S-Video or DV into MPEG2 to record on the DVD. Both will have to suffer a conversion process and it may be tricker for the device to transcode from DV to MPEG than just encode S-Vid...?

Suggest you trawl some ultra--geek forums [and then let me know!]

D
Old 31 July 2005, 01:15 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will obviously lose quality in the digital to analogue process and then analogue back to digital process.... depends on how much this bothers you
Old 01 August 2005, 07:42 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks

I got a response in AV forums basically saying the same suprabeast, with DV in you can expect an exact copy without any loss of picture quality, by using the S-VHS and phono conections you lose quality via the digital to analog and back again, so DV in is a must