contact lenses...

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 05:09 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy contact lenses...

more pain than child birth im telling you

tried them for the first time this morning & even now my eyes are so sore...

does it get better or shall i abandon before trying my first trial pair...
Old 28 July 2005, 05:18 PM
spireite
BANNED

take's about a week to get used to
Old 28 July 2005, 05:26 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by spireite
take's about a week to get used to
Is right. Don't give up on 'em just yet.

It'll be another few weeks of poking yourself in the eye and dropping them on the floor, but I've never looked back since....

- sorry, that was terrible...
Old 28 July 2005, 05:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
more pain than child birth im telling you

tried them for the first time this morning & even now my eyes are so sore...

does it get better or shall i abandon before trying my first trial pair...
Never tried it myself...
but about the eyes - youll get used to it as said but youll never escape the fact that they dry your eyes out making them sore . ( best to take them out so as you get home ) and anyway alternate with glasses.
Old 28 July 2005, 05:35 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dpb
and anyway alternate with glasses.
Like we all do I'm sure..

Well, occasionally anyway
Old 28 July 2005, 05:42 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

soft lenses?
Old 28 July 2005, 05:46 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

yeah soft ones. took just about 2hrs to get the in & out 3 times. Got my 5 trial pairs to see how i go. i'll try them tonight for an 1hr. took the lens out at 1pm today and my eyes are still really sore

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 28 July 2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 28 July 2005, 05:48 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

you should check they are the right size. I have worn soft lenses for about 18 yrs, and they were not as bad as you describe when I first used them. I recently went onto those monthly disposables, and I had to have about 4 different trial pairs before I got the size and comfort right.
Old 28 July 2005, 05:52 PM
Mk2_heaven
Scooby Regular

im on monthies pop em in when they arrive and pop em out when the next arrive
Old 28 July 2005, 05:56 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

just had the typical reaction of the eyelids closing before i could get the things in. but when i did, yeah they hurt but got better after time. im have been wearing my glasses since & my eyes feel really bad. maybe my eyes are too sensitive for them or maybe im just a wuss but i cant see much at the moment, im in agony, ooo the pain, im seeing a light, deaths door....
Old 28 July 2005, 05:56 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

depends which monthlies...some are only for daily use.If he leaves dailies in overnight then his eyes WILL hurt
Old 28 July 2005, 05:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mk2_heaven
im on monthies pop em in when they arrive and pop em out when the next arrive
Hello

How much does that cost and are they "safe"? Sounds not very healthy to have these things covering your eyes for 30 days.

Steve
Old 28 July 2005, 06:11 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I've worn them for 19 years and back then the technology was miles behind what it is now. I don't remember them being painful though even then. Just a bit odd feeling.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:12 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I'm not certain, but I still think you need to take them out and clean them...protiens from your eyes build up on any lenses, I never fancied them myself, try sleeping in a normal set and you will know what I mean.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:18 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
I'm not certain, but I still think you need to take them out and clean them...protiens from your eyes build up on any lenses, I never fancied them myself, try sleeping in a normal set and you will know what I mean.
You can wear them 24/7 for a month, but I used them for 2 years, and kept forgetting when I neede to change them (and so ended up wearing them for more than 1 month), and ended up with sores on my eyes (couldnt feel them, optician just said they were there) - am now back on daily's and wearing glasses!

TBH, you could notice them becoming more uncomfortable towards the end of the month!

I can't remember ever having any pain with lenses though!
Old 28 July 2005, 06:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

depends which monthlies...some are only for daily use.If he leaves dailies in overnight then his eyes WILL hurt
Cue disaster stories------->...

Left my monthlies in overnight once after having had a few.

..youch......up to eye hospital for emergency treatment.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:24 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

^ how does that work then?...I have had my monthly "dailys" in since 7am, and i can already notice the clag build up on one of them, not irratable, but the right eye has gone a litte bit opaqe vision wise.

what happens to all the crap that your eyes pump out?
Old 28 July 2005, 06:26 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by dpb
Cue disaster stories------->...

Left my monthlies in overnight once after having had a few.

..youch......up to eye hospital for emergency treatment.
is that the best you can do?
Old 28 July 2005, 06:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

is that the best you can do?
.. . **** me that was bad enuff ....

virtually had to sit in a darkened room for the rest o the day.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:30 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

^ how does that work then?...I have had my monthly "dailys" in since 7am, and i can already notice the clag build up on one of them, not irratable, but the right eye has gone a litte bit opaqe vision wise.

From memory, they are made with silicon, and let much more air into your eyes (they feel different in touch to daily lenses).
see http://www.cibavision.com/products/c...ight_day.shtml
They were bloody good - but I was just too crap at timekeeping to use them (and I only have 1 eye that works properly, so If i buggered that up, it was no driving etc etc!
Old 28 July 2005, 06:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

maybe you been lucky. My sis has had 2/3 infections the latest resulting in a abcess on the eye, hospital and advice to not bother ever wearing contacts again.

edited : She wore monthly disposibles ( ie: you keep one set for the month )

Last edited by dpb; 28 July 2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:50 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I've been wearing soft lenses for about 6 years now. When i first had them, you got an hours lesson in how to put them in, take them out and care for them.. I had real trouble getting used to them I had a thing about touching my eye ball..

I was in the 2.5 hours trying to get them in, and the optician made me go back the following week to have the 'take them out' lesson which lasted just over an hour.

I had monthly disposbales and my eyes were really sore.. turned out I was having an allergic reaction to the soultion so that was changed and things really improved!

I have since moved on to daily throwaways as I couldnt be faffed cleaning them.. other than a few breakages whilst wearing them ( one resulting in a trip to casualty to have my eye ball scrapped with an needle!!) I have had no problems * touches wood*...

I would say persevere.. you havent given them chance! Anyhow, regaining your peripheral vision, lost when wearing glasses and not having to wipe steamed goggles in the winter will soon have you loving contacts!
Old 28 July 2005, 06:55 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

One word of advice tho... make sure you do not over wear the contacts as this can cause problems in the long term.

Monthlies are not as thin as dailies and so not as much oxygen is getting to your eyes. Wearing them for excessive periods of time ( in my case 15hours a day) can cause what they call 'ghost veins' to appear over your eye ( basically veins with no blood in them).

Worst case scenerio, you can go blind - but don't panic.. I stress this is worst case scenerio and your optician should not allow it to get to this stage as it should be detected/checked upon during your regular sight tests and contact lense checks..

They came down on me like a ton of bricks and threatened to stop the provision of my lenses - obviously common sense got the better of me so I only wear them for 14hour now.. but as I have dailies, they are thinner so it doesnt affect me anymore...
Old 28 July 2005, 07:56 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i guess i'll need more than the weeks trials before i get use to them, im very patient normally but i guess as my eyes were so red & tears streaming down i was loosing my patience. Im sure its my eyes though. They hate bright light and after one flash of a photo booth my eyes do the same then!
Old 29 July 2005, 12:54 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I have worn the ones which you leave in for a month at a time for probably 4 years and I love them - Had no problems so far. They do get a bit worse towards the end of the month and in the morning it takes a bit of adjustment but they are fantastic.

I did try specsavers own and hated them - I use cibavision ones and I couldnt recomend them more.

I have worn contacts for over ten years soft and hard and the soft ones are the best for comfort but a pain in the **** to clean.

Actually I think they are Bausch and Lomb Pure vision - Not Cibavision.

Last edited by ScooBStu; 29 July 2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 29 July 2005, 01:04 PM
rstlfscooby
Scooby Regular

have you got them in the right way round, as their is a wrong and right way. When on your finger tip it should look like a bowl and not a V shape.
Old 29 July 2005, 01:21 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Anyone read the stories in the papers a few days ago about the insiders who have blown the whistle on contact lenses? Apparantly, this is turning out to be one of the biggest cons of modern times. The lenses used for all types of wear - daily, monthly etc are identical. The only thing that varies is the price. There have already been massive court settlements in the States. I don't think you'd have much problem in simply cleaning and storing any lens as normal. The only thing i would never do with any lens is wear them overnight. I always took them out.
Old 29 July 2005, 01:28 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rstlfscooby
have you got them in the right way round, as their is a wrong and right way. When on your finger tip it should look like a bowl and not a V shape.
That's what I was going to say. The top edge should point up not to the side.

Also, I've got 'One-Step' cleaning system where you just put the cleaning solution in the holder and it fizzes away overnight. When I first tried putting them in in the morning it was irritating because the cleaning solution wasn't completely neutralised. I bought some saline and always rinse them in that before putting them in.
Old 29 July 2005, 01:48 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Anyone read the stories in the papers a few days ago about the insiders who have blown the whistle on contact lenses? Apparantly, this is turning out to be one of the biggest cons of modern times. The lenses used for all types of wear - daily, monthly etc are identical. The only thing that varies is the price. There have already been massive court settlements in the States. I don't think you'd have much problem in simply cleaning and storing any lens as normal. The only thing i would never do with any lens is wear them overnight. I always took them out.
Would be interested in seeing this - I know they definitely vary from Manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 29 July 2005, 01:54 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I have always said this, i.e if they are good for a day, they are good for a week. I got nearly 18 months out of my 6 month supply of monthlies

Quick Reply: contact lenses...