Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What sunglasses - are oakleys that good ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 06:33 PM
jase555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sunglasses - are oakleys that good ?

need new sunglasses

options open

like them small framed and thin with good lens

are oakleys that good

advice please

thanks

jase
Old 28 July 2005, 06:34 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of money to look like a fly IMO
Old 28 July 2005, 06:39 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

pfft! I have oakleys ( there was another thread on this subject a week or so ago).. I have found they to be the best at blocking out the light other than wearing two pirate patches.

I have the Square Wire frames with Iced Iridium polarized lenses.. i suffer from a lot of headaches and these really help when out in the sun.

They arent cheap, but if yu take care of them they'll last you ( I didnt hence having to pay £50 for a new set of lenses). Oakleys are really friendly - any probs or queries and they look after you.

If you buy them from the Sunglasses Hut at the airport, you'll make a saving..

www.oakley.com
Old 28 July 2005, 06:40 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

DON'T GET OAKLEYS!!!

I wanted to get a pair, but never had the money. I had to get my eyes tested a month ago and the owner of the opticians was getting in some Ray Bans. and he said that oakelys are a lot of money and are not worth it, as they break sometimes and have to go back to the US to be repaired. Also he said that Ray Bans are far far better. and thats an optician saying that. and a good one at that.
So i brought a pair mainly for driving as the ones that i has (subaru ones)where anoying when i had them on driving. I had been looking for some 'wrap-around' type but to no avail. Untill i heard that my opticians was getting some in of the new 05 range, so i had to have a pair and they are what i wanted as well. wrap around ones. so im happy.
Darren
Old 28 July 2005, 06:42 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
DON'T GET OAKLEYS!!!

I wanted to get a pair, but never had the money. I had to get my eyes tested a month ago and the owner of the opticians was getting in some Ray Bans. and he said that oakelys are a lot of money and are not worth it, as they break sometimes and have to go back to the US to be repaired. Also he said that Ray Bans are far far better. and thats an optician saying that. and a good one at that.
So i brought a pair mainly for driving as the ones that i has (subaru ones)where anoying when i had them on driving. I had been looking for some 'wrap-around' type but to no avail. Untill i heard that my opticians was getting some in of the new 05 range, so i had to have a pair and they are what i wanted as well. wrap around ones. so im happy.
Darren
they don't have to go back to USA. Oakley UK is situated in Letchworth and they have a 5 day turn around...did he by any chance sell oakleys or just Ray Bans?..

If just the latter, funny he should recommend them to you...
Old 28 July 2005, 06:42 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

I am an oakley *****, but I must admit that the Mrs's Maui Jims are much better vision wise!
Old 28 July 2005, 06:54 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

He used and a couple of other opticican in town also used to sell Oakelys, now he does not sell them any more. now he sells Ray Bans.
Darren
Originally Posted by little-ginge
they don't have to go back to USA. Oakley UK is situated in Letchworth and they have a 5 day turn around...did he by any chance sell oakleys or just Ray Bans?..

If just the latter, funny he should recommend them to you...

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2005, 07:17 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

They are the best. Accept nothing less.

Old 28 July 2005, 07:19 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the Optician is recommending a brand he stocks, rather than one he does not.

Anyway, I have a pair of oakleys, (A-wire, polarised lenses) and had tried on ray-bans and a few other ones and found the oaks to be the best. I've had them for a few years and they are really good, the polarised lenses are great, perfect for messing about on a boat during summer
Old 28 July 2005, 07:21 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Had 3 pairs of Oakleys now.

Blades (Remember them
O Wires
Juliets

More important though, is what you look like with them on. You may have a triangle/round/square/dodechohedral face. Which may suit one style over another.
Old 28 July 2005, 07:23 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

If they do go back to USA for repair then they must have put them on concorde to get them back to me with 3 days ;-)
Old 28 July 2005, 07:27 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Another Oakley ***** here ;D except I have a pair of penny's like the Juliets only slightly smaller. Mine have the vr28 black (look like brown to me) lenses.

Yes worth every penny if you look after them.

Oakley now have a Uk office in Letchworth, Herts.
Old 28 July 2005, 07:36 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

IMHO,Oakleys are overpriced fashion accesories,where as B+L Ray-Ban are bone fide sunglass manufactures and have been around since time began!

Ray-bans cost so much because of the quality of the lenses used

I own a pair of each,btw,yet my favourites are Arnettes
Old 28 July 2005, 07:41 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Had both Oakleys and Ray Bans, Oakley's when I was younger, but now I'm more mature, bought some Ray Bans, think I look a right clown in my Oakley's now, but that's just the crappy style I bought when I was a dafthead

Both excellent mate, you can't really go wrong with either
Old 28 July 2005, 07:48 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

Maui Jim's - another vote from me

best shades I've ever owned, at least in terms of vision - perhaps not aesthetics
Old 28 July 2005, 08:00 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oakleys are only overpriced if you buy them in the UK. I got mine in Oz last year and never had any bother with them. yeah, everyone could wear £10 Superdrug ones, but I'd much rather have some sweet ones myself.

I've Cebe, Oakleys and Arnette. All are just as good, but I prefer the design and fit of my Oakleys.

As long as the UVA/UVB protection is up to spec (forgive the pun), just get whichever ones you like, fit well and are in budget.

Stefan
Old 28 July 2005, 09:04 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Oakley addict here, 2x A-Wires, 1x Square Wire 2.0 & my lovely T-Wires I use for driving at night

Wouldn't buy anything else, mainly because I find I look after more expensive glasses better than I do cheap ones. The T-Wires are especially gorgeous, weigh absolutely nothing - best glasses I've ever worn.
Old 28 July 2005, 09:23 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Yep, I totally agree. Oakleys are the best glasses around. They filter out the sun light and you can see as clear as day, where as cheaper glasses are simply dark lenses that dim everything.
Old 28 July 2005, 09:28 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Had my Oakleys 3 or so years. If I was starting again then I would think twice. I could have 10 or more pairs of Next sunnys for the price of the cheapest Oakleys. However I have my Oakleys and i'm very happy with them. They are NOT a fashion accessory for me though, thats the difference.

Gary
Old 28 July 2005, 09:41 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Would only ever buy Oakley.
Fantastic, really comfy, great guarantees and replacements.

Currently have Oakley juliets. Very good.
Old 28 July 2005, 10:33 PM
rizla06
Scooby Regular

Oakleys all the way
Old 28 July 2005, 10:56 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Oakley fan here, actually any nice shades fan,

Lusted after Oakleys for years, but not prepared to put my hand in my pocket for them over here, so when on a trip to the States popped into an Oakley shop (yes a whole shop!) and got some A Wires, think I paid about $80 - I was well happy and still am.

Bought Ray Bans recently and am happy with those too, dont know the model, doesn't say on the box, just a number. I dont really like most Ray Ban styles, in fact neither most Oakleys, you have to find the right one for you.

My favourite styles form any brand of the last few years have been Armani. Easily the best styles, for me and I have quite a few pairs. Shame they dont make them anymore, so I am told.

Asif
Old 29 July 2005, 11:11 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Had Oakleys, and also Ray Bans, when I was younger but the Oakley look doesn't suit - Serengeti for me, Autobahns with drivers lens, as I only really wear sunglasses when driving.

Superb lens, IMHO optically better than Oakley and possibly RB although they don't cut the light to the same amount - I wouldn't wear anything else. Thought about getting a pair with the 555nm grey lens for everday wear, but don't really wear them enough to justify. Price about £120-£140
Old 29 July 2005, 11:28 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Didn't realise we had so many Brand victims here
Old 29 July 2005, 11:35 AM
ChrisB

I looked at some Oakleys a while back - they're chuffing expensive with prescription lenses.
Old 29 July 2005, 11:36 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Brand has nothing to do with it .... i'd buy a pair of £5.99 C.R.A.P sunglasses if they were optically better, and looked as good, as the Serengeti's.
Old 29 July 2005, 11:38 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

lol, Brand has EVERYTHING to do with it
Old 29 July 2005, 11:39 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Have Ray-Ban Predators myself. Wanted to get Oakleys but looked stoopid when I tried them on in the shop as the general styles of the Oakley's simply didn't fit my face (yes I have two eyes and a nose/ears to hold them on, but other than that they were just 'wrong' )

My Ray-Bans are great. They seem to have styles to suit my fat head

Try a few pairs on in a decent shop, and go for the ones you like. Oakley shades are great quality but don't look good on everyone. It's all very well buying the shades with the best lenses (marginally, imho), but if you look like a twa.....

Joolz
Old 29 July 2005, 11:50 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
lol, Brand has EVERYTHING to do with it

Quick Reply: What sunglasses - are oakleys that good ?