Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What part of Corsica...??

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2005, 03:54 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What part of Corsica...??

Thinking about Corsica for my honeymoon next year and Ive noticed that quite a few people from SN have been there on hols/for the WRC.

Can anyone give any advice regarding what places are their fav? Or places to avoid?

Looking for quite a quiet place with good bars and restaurants.

Thanks in advance
Old 12 August 2005, 12:25 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Good choice!

I spent a lot of time in the north of Sardinia and went across lots to Corsica - It is unspoiled by brits abroard so don't tell too many people about it! I have only been to a few places but I can recommend

Bonifacio - A beautiful old village built right on the end of a cliff, quite touristy but well worth a visit

Porto Vecchio - also very cool

Some amazing beaches in between palombaggia and santa giulia come highly recomended - unfortunatly I was camping so can't tel you about hotels but I know a few nice ones in Sardinia!

If you do decide to go to Corsica make the trip over to Sardinia as even though they are so close they are like chalk and cheese! You can get a ferry from Bonifacio for a few quid and its only 12 miles. You can also go to La Maddalena and there is also a 'nature reserve' which is actually a group of islands surrounded by shallow water.

I could go on for hours about this part of the world as I really do think it is great, if you have any more specific questions let me know!

edited to add - I posted a few pics on this thread to have a look at http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=corsica

Most of my ones from Corsica are not on digital though unfortunatley

Andy

Last edited by 106rallye; 12 August 2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12 August 2005, 06:44 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I have been several times now, and I still have a need to go back, it is a stunning place.

To watch the WRC you will have to stay near Ajaccio (sp) however by now all the hotels will be filled up with teams and FIA members etc. I stayed in a chalet which is basically a log cabin/shed with bathroom bedroom and kitchen.

I flew in to Sardinia and hired a car from there. The ferry is cheap and reliable but it does fill up, and in fact last time I had to return to Sardinia a day early as the ferry was booked. Going out was also fully booked, but I managed to get a ferry from another location in Sardinia that stopped in Corsica on the way to Marsaille.
Old 12 August 2005, 11:22 AM
Chavsrus
Scooby Regular

Went to Corsica in '94 to watch the WRC.

An awesome, beautiful place, fantastic roads (bit rough in places) friendly people, superb scenery. I flew into Calvi and drove down to Ajjacio but subsequently followed the rally back up to Calvi and the North. You will love it (and won't want to leave !)
PS. 106 Rallye got to agree with you about Bonifacio and Porto Vecchio
Very fond memories of a great place.
Old 12 August 2005, 11:30 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great place and relatively unspoiled.
Hire a car to have a good look around but do not hire it from the airport but wait until you are at your hotel/town where there will be a choice at better rates. Some rugged sceenery and secluded beaches.
Old 12 August 2005, 12:09 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, I didnt think I was going to get any replies to this thread as it had disappeared onto page 2 within a few hours of postring it.

Im not planning on going there for the WRC, much as I would like to, just looking for somewhere the the girlfriend and I agree on lol!!

Andy, thanks for the link to the pics mate. between that thread and this one - http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=corsica
I am dying to get it booked so I know that were deffo going!!

If I have any more questions I will get back to you, thanks again everyone.

Stephen.