Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contact Lenses - Getting the buggers in

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2005, 08:00 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contact Lenses - Getting the buggers in

Does anyone apart from me have problems putting in daily contact lenses?

I've just finished a trial (5 pairs) of contact lenses from Specsavers and I could not get 1 pair fully in. 2 lenses split, I dropped 2 lenses down the hotel bathroom sink and then others would just not go in.

The moment the lens comes even close to the eye, my eye lid goes in to "combat mode" and starts blinking. I can't control it. The optician did say that I had a high blink rate

Once the lens is on the eye, I don't have a problem, I can move it around and take it out quite easily but I just can't get it on the eye.

How many of you have tried contact lenses and then decided they are not for you? Everyone thinks I'm stupid as I can't get them on my eye.

I only really need them for footy so I might have to buy some Edgar David style wrap around glasses

Darren
Old 12 August 2005, 08:06 AM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Trust me - you do get used to it...

And it's worth getting used to in the long run IMHO.
Old 12 August 2005, 08:09 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I've got hard gas permeables - they took weeks to get used to!

It was like having a piece of bloody grit in there
Old 12 August 2005, 08:22 AM
rizla06
Scooby Regular

Just use finger and thumb & pull upper and lower eyelids as far apart as possible and hold them tightly in position, impossible to blink then. Piece of p*ss then
Old 12 August 2005, 08:36 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Your reckon :P

I've tried loads of different methods, holding the eye lids apart with one hand and contact lens on the index finger, hold top lid with left index finger and right middle finger on bottom eye lid and lens on right index finger.

Darren
Old 12 August 2005, 08:49 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As people have said, you'll get used to it, and then you'll be able to supress the blink reflex. But it takes time.

M
Old 12 August 2005, 08:52 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

think its a matter of relaxing..

..however im not keen on the drying out effect , so im back to glasses as/when i need them.

Last edited by dpb; 12 August 2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12 August 2005, 08:53 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

had the same problem too. Couldnt hold my lids tightly enough or wide enough. Once they start blinking that it...
Old 12 August 2005, 08:59 AM
rizla06
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
Your reckon :P

I've tried loads of different methods, holding the eye lids apart with one hand and contact lens on the index finger, hold top lid with left index finger and right middle finger on bottom eye lid and lens on right index finger.

Darren
Works most times for me matey. use outside of index finger for top lid and thumb for bottom one, with lens on right index finger, trick is to put as little of the lens as poss on the right index finger so it lets go on contact with the eyeball immediately.
Old 12 August 2005, 08:59 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

One day they just go in easily, it probably took me a week or so. You are lucky you could take them out, it used to take me ages to do that as well. With this really strange feeling of something sucking on your eye when they finally pop out.

Steve
Old 12 August 2005, 09:06 AM
rizla06
Scooby Regular

Not like this http://www.news-medical.net/images/contact%20lens.jpg
I put it on the tip of index finger on the outside edge of the lens [about 1mm - 1.1/2 mm is enough]. Using the method shown in the picture, it'll never let go.
Old 12 August 2005, 09:08 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do is make sure the fingers you're opening your eyelids are bone dry, as I've found if even slightly moist the lid starts to close as a natural reaction, you can't help it, then you touch your lashes and it's shut down mode. And also you don't have to push the lense onto the eye, just the slightest contact and it'll suck staight on. It does take a while to master it though, and eventually you'll even be able to put them in with out a mirror
Good luck.

CRAFT
Old 12 August 2005, 09:13 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

heres what i do...takes me about 3 secs per eye dont even need a mirror.

get lense on finger - make sure finger is dry as possible and the lens is just sitting on as little of it as possible. blink a few times to wet the eye- the lens will stick to whats wet (make sure your eye is wetter than the finger)

now with lens on the right hand using the finger next to the thumb use the middle finger of same hand to pull the bottom eyelid down - this leaves the left hand to hold the upper eye lid open - get a real good grip on it low down - if you can still blink you must have eye lids stronger than your arms so go to a gym then try this when you are in shape.

as for putting it in the eye, look up very slightly to expose the lower white of the eye and approach with the finger pointing upwards - in this way the bottom rim of the lens will contact first with the lower white of the eye - this should cause no blink (if it does wash your hand and practice touching the white of your eye - it should be easy once you get used to it) Now, as long as you eye is wet and your finger not thats all you need to do - the lens doesnt need shoving in place (in fact this ofter pushes it back on the finger) - just allow it to slowly soak up the water from the eye and it will move into place.

as i said, 20 secs for both eyes max - if it doesnt work stop and start again - pushing and proding when the lens doesnt drop in firts time will just wet the finger and stick the lens to it,

T

ps- take out (2 secs per eye) look up, use middle finger to hold lowerlid down, put lens finger on bottom edge of lens (which means the finger is going towrads the white - not your eye ball - as soon as you feel the finger touch slide it down - again should be easy on the white area. As son as the lense is dragged over the white it will no longer fit properly and buckle- quickyly (before it slides back in place) use thumb und finger to pinch it off as it rest uneven on the lower white.
Old 12 August 2005, 09:52 AM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!

I know this is going to sound a bit daft, but have you tried putting them in without looking in a mirror????

For some reason, I just cannot put my GP lenses in whilst looking into the mirror. I think it's got something to do with watching myself poke my eye out!!!

Just a thought
Old 12 August 2005, 01:59 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I did poke myself in the eye today because the dog smashed against my chair running around this morning.

I've not tried without a mirror because I know I'll hurt my self.

I pick up 5 more lenses on Tuesday so I'm going back for round 2!!

Darren
Old 12 August 2005, 05:16 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I had real problems with mine too. 1st attempt was at the age of 15. Tried and tried at the opticians until I concluded that it wasnt going to happen. 10 years later I give them another try. Okay at Opticians, but as soon as I took them out I couldn't get them in again.

Then tried about a year on and managed to do it okay. Sometimes took me 30mins+ in my strong eye in 1st few weeks, but am now used to them.

Also less hassle with extended wear lenses which you can sleep in and have in for 1-2 weeks.

Bob
Old 12 August 2005, 05:20 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Didn't have too many problems with the gas permeable ones although I still need a mirror. I have the disposable soft ones now. Sometimes it takes me about 5 mins to get one in and then the other I have no problem with! I don't wear them very often though so maybe that's my problem!
Old 12 August 2005, 05:34 PM
nicko13uk
Scooby Regular

You can't go wrong with the method Tiggs suggested - works for me like a charm. Took me half an hour to get the buggers in when i first had them.

Seconds on each eye now - although i do still use a mirror.

Nick
Old 12 August 2005, 06:41 PM
Neverguess
BANNED

Putting them in a doddle, practice is all it takes I am amazed however, I remember/can manage to get them out some nights!!
Old 12 August 2005, 06:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

um yes indeed ... , ouch..
Old 12 August 2005, 06:59 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I find that just pulling down my lower eyelid is enough, then plonk it in with a finger, then blink a few times to get it settled..... easy

It's practice, without a doubt Do persist though, as I think it's worth it
Old 12 August 2005, 07:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

just dont open your eyes underwater...