Thinking of DIY this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2005, 09:10 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Thinking of DIY this weekend?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4134074.stm

In a poll of 2000 people by DIY accessory firm 3M, almost two thirds of women said that a man's attitude to home improvement reflected their approach to sex
...Get a professional in to do it?!?!?! No thanks!!
Old 12 August 2005, 10:56 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There was a great thread on here a couple of year's back with similar DIY horrors. Hopefully someone's saved it - it would go well with this
Old 12 August 2005, 11:26 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems funny on the surface but the serious side to this is that it is essentially government propaganda.

They are manipulating public opinion towards advocating a ban on all DIY activities.
Old 12 August 2005, 11:41 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

and who do you blame for this UB?....

Old 12 August 2005, 11:44 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

"What have the Romans ever done for us?"
Old 12 August 2005, 12:07 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face Cuckoo. Cuckoo.

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Seems funny on the surface but the serious side to this is that it is essentially government propaganda.

They are manipulating public opinion towards advocating a ban on all DIY activities.
Old 12 August 2005, 01:43 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

You can mock - but it's already started:

Tough new laws now effectively ban garden enthusiasts from installing their own electrics in ponds, sheds, garages and greenhouses, warns consumer electrical safety organisation the NICEIC.
From 1st January 2005 all electrical work in the garden must be carried out by a government-approved electrician, such as one registered with the NICEIC. The new law aims to reduce the rising number of deaths caused by faulty electrics.
Householders are to be banned from carrying out many simple electrical jobs at home. EU rules aimed at cutting down on injuries mean a registered electrician will have to carry on work in the bathroom, kitchen or garden - areas exposed to water where accidents are deemed more likely… under an edict from the EU's Committee for the Normalisation of Electrotechnology.
(of course some can only mock - as they have no opinions of their own, only those they are fed by goverment propaganda, as they have repeatedly demonstrated.)
Old 12 August 2005, 01:53 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes but who do you blame UB?

Since January 1st I have modified the wiring to my pond TWICE and designed, built and wired a huge purpose built-in vivarium in my house. Screw you Tony!

If a 3rd Reich Appointed Electrician wants to come and inspect them he is welcome to. I look forward to discussing Kirchoff, Coulomb, Faraday and Gauss! My only stipulation is that Blair pays me for my time!
Old 12 August 2005, 01:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What went wrong the first time.?..
Old 12 August 2005, 02:01 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Red face Janet and John say

(of course some can only mock - as they have no opinions of their own, only those they are fed by goverment propaganda, as they have repeatedly demonstrated.)

I sincerely hope that this type of nonsense was posted by some sort of Ladybird book club automated troll rather than a real person.

Personally I think it all started to go wrong with having to wear seat belts in cars....
Old 12 August 2005, 02:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

wondered where he sourced all his info......
Old 12 August 2005, 02:10 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
What went wrong the first time.?..
Because I am so poorly qualified it went wrong and killed a black lesbian immigrant.

OR.... I keep changing my mind on pumps, filters and UV.... you decide!
Old 12 August 2005, 02:14 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh

I sincerely hope that this type of nonsense was posted by some sort of Ladybird book club automated troll rather than a real person.

Personally I think it all started to go wrong with having to wear seat belts in cars....
But you are a troll and you have openly admitted to such.

UB's information is accurate, Tony doesn't want you to have any responsibility for yourself and he is going to make sure you don't by legislating responsibility away from you.

If the information is inaccurate you will no doubt be able to provide evidence to that effect?...

Old 12 August 2005, 02:15 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ajm

Since January 1st I have modified the wiring to my pond TWICE and designed, built and wired a huge purpose built-in vivarium in my house. Screw you Tony!
Oh dear!! You could be in rather expensive trouble there:

Part P applies to garden lighting, pond lighting, pond pumps, swimming pools, and saunas, along with outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses. Local authorities can order the removal or correction of any work that does not comply and you could be fined up to £5,000.

Looks like it could be you that gets screwed!!

p.s. I ignore suresh these days. Like all trolls he will eventually tire of the lack of response and slink away....
Old 12 August 2005, 02:17 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Oh dear!! You could be in rather expensive trouble there:

Part P applies to garden lighting, pond lighting, pond pumps, swimming pools, and saunas, along with outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses. Local authorities can order the removal or correction of any work that does not comply and you could be fined up to £5,000.

Looks like it could be you that gets screwed!!
They can tack it on my rap sheet, under refusing to carry a blunkett card and fox hunting!
Old 12 August 2005, 03:00 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm

If a 3rd Reich Appointed Electrician wants to come and inspect them he is welcome to. I look forward to discussing Kirchoff, Coulomb, Faraday and Gauss! My only stipulation is that Blair pays me for my time!
Yeah, and for every genius who knows his way around electrics there are thousands of muppets who don't. I've just finished renovating this property and you wouldn't believe the bodger who jury rigged this place up and it's a wonder the whole place didn't blow up. Not much fun, although you may have enjoyed it.
Old 12 August 2005, 03:05 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Troll, moi? Not me.

From what I saw from a quick scan of their site, the NICEIC is a charitable body supported by the Consumers Association, amongst others and in fact supports the new laws.

"In fact, according to Government statistics, every year 5 deaths and over 500 injuries are caused by faulty electrical installations in the home. Added to this, 12,500 fires caused by electrical faults, resulting in 25 deaths and 590 injuries every year, so it is not difficult to see why an electrical safety law needs to be enforced.

"The changes to the law are welcomed by NICEIC", says Director General, Jim Speirs. "Safe electrics in the home can be the difference between life and death for you and your family, but they are often overlooked in the long to-do list when buying, renovating or converting a house."

Quite frankly, I wouldnt want to buy a house from someone who had cowboy'd up the electrics themselves and wouldn't encourage anyone else to do so.

Suresh
Old 12 August 2005, 03:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Can't really pin this one on Tone as this is an EU initiative.

Wait a minute though.... who's the current president of the EU....??

Yes - it's Blair!!

Whoopee - so it is Blair's fault after all.

Old 12 August 2005, 03:11 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Yeah, and for every genius who knows his way around electrics there are thousands of muppets who don't. I've just finished renovating this property and you wouldn't believe the bodger who jury rigged this place up and it's a wonder the whole place didn't blow up. Not much fun, although you may have enjoyed it.

I'm surprised you found time to renovate your house amongst time consuming activities like coleslaw mixing!

Seriously though, of course there are muppets out there, but if they want to electrocute themselves then let them, that's the way its always been. That's natural selection at work.

When the property changes hands you get an electrical survey done, common sense really.
Old 12 August 2005, 03:14 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
and who do you blame for this UB?....

Answers on a postcard.....

Matt
Old 12 August 2005, 03:19 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Seriously though, of course there are muppets out there, but if they want to electrocute themselves then let them, that's the way its always been. That's natural selection at work.

When the property changes hands you get an electrical survey done, common sense really.
How many people actually get anything other than a most basic survey done? I doubt the percentage is that high and even when they do the electrician has so many caveats to cover his inspection that it makes you wonder whether its worth it. The problem is that invariably its not the muppets that get electrocuted but the next person to own the property and whilst I admit this is by far the worst house I've renovated I've yet to come across a house in the UK with electrics that I'd consider 100% safe.
Old 12 August 2005, 07:53 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The other point is that the electrician can’t do the work at his own home now. Rarely is the electrician registered it is nearly always the company he works for.

For example at work I am employed by my company to check my electricians test reports and work and also design new installations, price work and I spent 10 years actually doing the work but I can no longer actually do work on my own house! I have to pay the company I work for or another registered company to do the work.

The system is wrong the individual should be registered and then any body could apply so if you want to do DIY you could get the necessary training to carry out the work safely and then apply to be registered.

We now have the mad situation where electricians can carry out a kitchen rewire during the week but at weekends cant work privately in kitchens!

I know a lot of people are breaking the law by continuing to do this but eventually they will be forced to stop by the house sellers pack because new work stands out as the cable colours recently changed and any electrician carry out a test will pick these up and flag up the lack of correct forms. People will be forced to pay for work to be done by registered companies.
Old 12 August 2005, 08:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Dont have any this nonsense across the channel........
Old 13 August 2005, 12:56 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Yes in other countries i believe they dont either. they are only allowed to sell cetain eletrical items to people with Trade cards which are issued upon proof of competance by qualifications.

This would be a way forward and to implement a system like Corgi for sparks.