Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a car from auction?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2005, 01:30 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a car from auction?

Need a new second car. I am thinking of a Mondeo (the newer shape, which has just been replaced). This would make it around a Y plate.

Dealers seem to be selling at around ~4k with 55-70k on them.

I am thinking of trying an auction, probably Blackbush.

I am hoping of saving around 800 quid.

Any tips/hints in buying from an auction?

I will check the gaps between the panels are even and small. I would like the car to be ex fleet. I understand that higher milage (>100k) go for very little money, but I am not sure how much milage a 1.8 modeo can take.

I understand that it is wise to check for smoke when the cars are driven in for the auction to start. I plan to visit an auction at least once before going to buy.

Your pearls of wisdom would be appreciated :O)

Simon
Old 17 August 2005, 01:48 PM
john sugar
Scooby Regular

Wear a big coat, a flat cap & keep a cigar to hand, you should do well at that
Old 17 August 2005, 01:59 PM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by brooks
Need a new second car. I am thinking of a Mondeo (the newer shape, which has just been replaced). This would make it around a Y plate.

Dealers seem to be selling at around ~4k with 55-70k on them.

I am thinking of trying an auction, probably Blackbush.

I am hoping of saving around 800 quid.

Any tips/hints in buying from an auction?

I will check the gaps between the panels are even and small. I would like the car to be ex fleet. I understand that higher milage (>100k) go for very little money, but I am not sure how much milage a 1.8 modeo can take.

I understand that it is wise to check for smoke when the cars are driven in for the auction to start. I plan to visit an auction at least once before going to buy.

Your pearls of wisdom would be appreciated :O)

Simon
iv just bought a second car for the misses i got it from auction its a t reg zetec mondeo black with alloys and all zetec extras for £1800 with 80k on the clock,and i cant fault it everythings tight and where it should be, tyers where new, full service,it needed new brake pads but fitted them on the weekend myself and the pads cost £18 from halfords.this was an ex days fleet car and it had been looked after.a big thumbs up for mondeos from auction.

daz
Old 17 August 2005, 02:04 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I always bid v late on. Value the cars beforehand and stick to your valuations. Watch a few go thorugh and see how your valuations fair. Remember to subtract all the fees from your valuation. Dont pay anywhere near forecourt or private car prices as they come with test drives etc.

Check what paperwork it has about 5-10mins before it goes under the hammer. This can normally be done at the auction desk.

Warranted miles does not mean there is service history.

Best to choose a number of cars that fit the bill, rather than fall in love with one and pay over the odds.

Best of luck
Bob
Old 17 August 2005, 03:08 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Best to choose a number of cars that fit the bill, rather than fall in love with one and pay over the odds.
I think he'll find it very hard to fall in love with a mondeo I should know, I've got one
Old 18 August 2005, 10:11 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks to all who have been helpful so far :O)
Old 18 August 2005, 10:38 AM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Agreed, don't get carried away with your bidding...don't pay over the odds.

I know at BCA now, every potential bidder has to register first, so this gets rid of some of the unscrupulous people who'll be bidding for their mates in order to increase the selling price of their own cars.
Old 18 August 2005, 10:55 AM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

If you can spare the time go there on a couple of occasions before you bid on anything, as you often find that the same car re-appears a week in week out. I can remember seeing a Discovery 'sold' on at least 4 seperate occasions, each time it came back it had new graphics, seat covers etc etc.. which were hiding a mulititude of sins.

Also, I tend to watch the dealers, they will bid on the better cars but will stop once they realise there'll be no profit in it, you bid a little bit higher and you MIGHT bag yourself a bargain. However, watch out as the dealers often bid up there own or their mates cars

I was up at the auction in Chelmsford yesterday, there were stacks of 51+ Reg Mondeos going through, some were dead cheap.

Best of luck