Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Powergen - Just sent us a £470 leccy bill :(

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2005, 11:01 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powergen - Just sent us a £470 leccy bill :(

Moved into the new house last December, and since then have had to phone Powergen every bloody month to try and sort the Gas/Electricity nightmare out.

Just after we moved in they sent us 3 separate letters saying "Sorry you're leaving us". Each time I phoned them and said we havent requested to move yet.

This went on for ages, Powergen telling us they dont supply us, and us phoning the watchdog organisations who told us Powergen DO supply us.

Finally got a gas bill after 3 months, but no leccy bill.

I've been ringing them every month asking for a bill, and each time they've said we dont owe anything, and the next bill will arrive on XX date. That date arrives and no bill.

So after 9 months we decided to jack them in and move to another supplier. The new supplier has initiated the swap, and Powergen must have now realised and billed us for £469. What is annoying is the bill doesnt give dates or anything, just kwh used and the amount.

Now I dont mind paying for what we've used, but:

a) theres no evidence of whether this amount is from when we moved in.
b) I dont like getting 9 months worth of bills in one hit We're fortunate in that we can pay it, but what would happen if we couldnt?

Bloody incompetent fools, lets hope the next lot is better.

Any advice on what our rights are, if any?
Old 18 August 2005, 11:07 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

How frustrating for you Judging from the level of incompetence they've demostrated so far you need to find out exactly how accurate that bill is before paying a penny of it.

Does this mean your web design rates will be going up?

Last edited by Scoobychick; 18 August 2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 18 August 2005, 11:11 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Gonna try to speak to them today, though from past experience it will be someone called Sharon with an Indian accent who has no idea what i'm on about

Rates will stay the same
Old 18 August 2005, 11:11 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL.... EXACTLY the same thing happened to us when we moved 2 years ago, funnily enough it was Powergen too we actually got a years worth of free electricity and gas too lol nobody has chased us but its well known one of the first things you should do when you move is make a log of the meter readings of the old and new house on the day of exchange. thus any comeback you can say when you moved in this was the reading etc....

they might be trying to charge you for the previous owners last 6 months of elecy or something...
Old 18 August 2005, 11:14 AM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Had a similar situation myself, that was with Powergen too!

Get in touch with Energywatch and let them deal with it.

I even got £100 compensation out of it.

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/

I wouldn't pay it off in one go either, unless this is going to hinder you switching to another supplier.
Old 18 August 2005, 11:40 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
LOL.... EXACTLY the same thing happened to us when we moved 2 years ago, funnily enough it was Powergen too we actually got a years worth of free electricity and gas too lol nobody has chased us but its well known one of the first things you should do when you move is make a log of the meter readings of the old and new house on the day of exchange. thus any comeback you can say when you moved in this was the reading etc....

they might be trying to charge you for the previous owners last 6 months of elecy or something...
Utilities companies have 7 years to recover any debt/payment for services, so you have 5 more years before you are in the clear..............
Old 18 August 2005, 11:41 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol.. ohhh poo
Old 18 August 2005, 03:17 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

I keep on getting letters adressed to my name sent to my house form power gen regarding gas bill payment. Had a couple of final demands and threats of court action if i didnt pay.

Thing is though it's my parents house and everything is in their name. We dont even have gas central heating, we have a coal fire and the only gas used in the house is used by the hob on the cooker which is paid for using a pre paid card meter with british gas. Think it only uses about £10 a year no where near the bills for hundreds of pounds i get sent.

Tried phoning them up on numerous occasions asking them to stop sending them but every few months another letter comes.
Old 18 August 2005, 03:21 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
lol.. ohhh poo
Yeah bummer isn't it. They can quite legally not bill you for 7 years and then hit you with bill for the whole lot in one go. There is talk of new legislation/code of conduct to limit the clawback to one year, which should also have an effect on those companies who do **** it up often/don't send out bills when requested.
Old 18 August 2005, 08:32 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

I had an issue with powergen a couple of years ago, they billed me for about 5 months running for electricity, about £75 a month, I have never been a previous customer of theirs, never even enquiered about it. Eventually got my money back, but it took some effort. Sounds like they still making mistakes.
Old 18 August 2005, 08:43 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

I moved to them ages ago seemed like a good idea at the time

Got the first bill in after a month £900

Phoned then up gave them the readings over the phone
OK sorry sir we made a mistake
7 days later another bill £950
Phone again same story we made a mistake

2 days later a knock on the door Powergen sales caller
BOY did i rip it to him I made him check the readings and call his manager to get it sorted
It was sorted them moved to back to British Gas
Old 19 August 2005, 04:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

What a shower of turd.

Just spent 10 minutes on hold, and now been told I cant discuss the account because its in my wife's name and not mine, though it was in mine until recently

I said my wife works until 5pm, and after that we dont want to speak to someone in India so she gave me a UK only number to ring.

I have the meter reading picture I took in front of me from when we moved in and its 3000 units over what they are quoting as our last reading, so they are trying to charge us double what we should be paying.

Bloody idiots!! Will have to wai until the mrs gets back now to sort it out. They must be the worst company i've ever dealt with, and on top of that they've sent 3 meter reading blokes round in the last month :belm: