Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thailand - which currency to take?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2005, 11:06 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thailand - which currency to take?

My daughter is off to Thailand in a couple of weeks with pal. Will be ordering travel cheques and wondered what she should get. Sterling, Euros or USD? Perhaps it doesn't matter. Any special tips from anyone who has been? We are doing our homework on travel guides and auntie Google but the more info the better. She is there for about 3/4 weeks and staying in hostels/med grade hotels. She hopes £1000 (after ticket) will be more than enough; is that feasible? Thanks, David
Old 22 August 2005, 11:25 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Just take sterling, it accepted everywhere that US dollars are and you cut out the extra step of conversion.

£1000 should be more than enough.
Old 22 August 2005, 11:34 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I took US dollers and thai baht when I went last year, ended up changing the dollers in thai baht. so as said above I had to pay commission twice, once in this country and again over there. Take GBP as everywhere will change them.

Loads of cash points/machines over there but finding one that is works is another story!!!!!!

A friend of mine spent 3 months in thailand on £1000 and still came back with loads of shopping. Saying that I got through 1000 in two weeks, but I did do a hell of lot, diving, fishing, shooting, drinking, drinking, drinking, **** loads of shopping and more drinking.
Old 22 August 2005, 11:34 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much
Old 22 August 2005, 04:11 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The best piece of advice I can give for going to Thailand is: take as LITTLE clothing as possible, and buy everything there. You would not believe how cheap it is.

Even the luggage - buy it out there.
Old 22 August 2005, 04:43 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
The best piece of advice I can give for going to Thailand is: take as LITTLE clothing as possible, and buy everything there. You would not believe how cheap it is.

Even the luggage - buy it out there.
Funny you should say that My gal bought a pair of comfortable flip-flops for the trip. £22 I told her they were probably made in Thailand and she could get 10 pairs for that money over there! But that's daughters for you david
Old 22 August 2005, 07:25 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Get a Nationwide account and use ATMs. The exchange rate is good and there are no charges either.
Old 22 August 2005, 07:38 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

yeah, get ure money changed out there - you get much much better rates....some of the best are at the airport in bangkok (I got married in Thailand in June).

Tell your daughter not to take any jeans or heavy clothing...it's damn warm out there (trust me).

everything is really cheap and the food is still good from the simpler restaurants...

If you've got any more questions...feel free to ask!
Old 22 August 2005, 07:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys. So just lightweight shorts I guess but would she need long trousers/longer skirt to visit a temple? Head covering required for the ladies?

Is Barclays bank out there - at least it's a name she knows and if it all goes wrong I could get some money sent out pronto?

I am assuming she isn't going out there to get married!!!!!

david
Old 22 August 2005, 07:55 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Have to second all the views on clothing. First time i went i was all set up with what i though was appropriate clothing......couldn't wear any of it. Nothing i own is any good for that type of climate (or India).

Take the minimum and buy stuff out there...big, loose, cotton anything!!...

and depending on what your daughter's doing (i did a fair bit of treking)..it was a huge bonus to have BIG cotton knickers!!!!! Never worn them since but someone recommended them to me and definitely worth having if you plan to get involved with walking in the hills.

Again,depends what she is doing....but lots of small bhat is very very helpful if she's doing the mixing with the locals....big money is too flash.

She will have the most amazing time...it's a wonderful country and one of the most humbling experiences i've ever had
Old 22 August 2005, 07:58 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Sadly...anything goes as far as tourists are concerned but visits to temples only really require you to cover your arms and legs. A simple head scarf is a bonus and the more respect shown the greater the pleasure of being there.
Old 22 August 2005, 08:09 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

No Barclays but the Thai banks are safe enough.

Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Bank of Asia, Thai Military Bank, Krung Thai and Bank of Ayuthaya are the main ones and they are all linked in with international ATM systems and can receive funds from overseas.

Women shouldn't wear a scarf in temples, it's considered very rude, but should wear modest clothing (ie: long sleeves and trousers)
Old 22 August 2005, 08:24 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Women shouldn't wear a scarf in temples, it's considered very rude, but should wear modest clothing (ie: long sleeves and trousers)
Would have agreed with you Kiwi about the head scarf...i didn't have one but was given a square cloth type thing to cover the top of my head.

Certainly can't claim to know all the proper procedure....but had a brilliant time
Old 22 August 2005, 09:13 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

long trousers and sleeves only are needed.....we went to the grand palace among others and thats the max the women need...obviously, men should be covereed up to the same extent...don't want to be too sexy for the buddah as our guide said...haha

Oh, and remind her not to go pointing her feet towards the buddah's and monks...

You shouldn't raise your voice, even when complaining - be pleasant yet firm.

They all live off the tips that tourists give - drivers, maids and bell boys are the main ones to tip...10% on a bill is fine too if I remember right. 20 baht per case is about right for the bell boys....depending on whether the hotel has them but most do.

If she takes a taxi or tuk tuk, agree the price before getting in. They don't really take the pi$$ to be fair but can if you don't do it right.

The mini-bars in the hotel are very expensive compared with what you can buy so it's best to get some beers / snacks from the local '7 eleven'. A 330ml can of singha was 35 baht in june/july and you can also get nice big ones for not much more....
Old 22 August 2005, 09:49 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Zero tips in backpacker places. Tuk-Tuks are total commedians when it come to prices never ever believe a word a Tuk-Tuk driver says all he wants to do is take you to rip off shops. Take air con taxis everywhere provided the meter is running as by the time you have spent ages with tuk-tuk drivers agreeing a price its not worth the price difference. Remember in Bankok Every person you meet is a liar trying to rip you off. The only way to get into the city from the airport is the aircon tourist bus that will take your daughter to the tKao san road for 200 baht the taxi drivers will charge the earth and try to get you to stay in a crap hotel miles from anyhwere and get commision of the room rate.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:52 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Just take a cash card and some baht cash machines everywhere travelers cheques a pain only take dollars if she wil be going to Cambodia. Easy trips can be done on buses from bangkok to siem-reap for a few days and its a fantastic experience to see the Temple citiy of Ankor.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:54 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Zero tips in backpacker places. Tuk-Tuks are total commedians when it come to prices never ever believe a word a Tuk-Tuk driver says all he wants to do is take you to rip off shops. Take air con taxis everywhere provided the meter is running as by the time you have spent ages with tuk-tuk drivers agreeing a price its not worth the price difference. Remember in Bankok Every person you meet is a liar trying to rip you off. The only way to get into the city from the airport is the aircon tourist bus that will take your daughter to the tKao san road for 200 baht the taxi drivers will charge the earth and try to get you to stay in a crap hotel miles from anyhwere and get commision of the room rate.
sounds like you had a bad time of it.....it was all good when we were in bangkok...u just need to be sensible and chill out.

we got private xfers from the airport but tell someone where to go and they'll take u...no messin...thats y u agree a price b4...and it only takes a day to get the hang of it....
Old 22 August 2005, 09:55 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

sorry...got tired of typing full words....i'll not do it again.
Old 22 August 2005, 10:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks again - had typed up reply and just about to post when SN went off air! All very useful stuff... david
Old 24 August 2005, 10:40 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sorry - another question. Did you take malaria tablets? Doctors didn't know you can't talk to BA medical and Google is contradictory! Seems most tourist places are "low risk". Thanks, David
Old 24 August 2005, 11:09 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

mozzy repellent is better IMO but most people take some if they go trekking in the jungle
Old 24 August 2005, 11:25 AM
Horico
Scooby Regular

yeah, it depends on where you're going....

Our doctors just gave us some stuff that was general for the tourist areas...

I may be wrong as it's from memory but if you are in the countryside, you need to take more cos of the amount of standing water etc etc. The GP really should know this stuff.
Old 24 August 2005, 12:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks, my motto is "if in doubt take the pills". Will check with chemists as well. I agree Doctor should have updated info

Pal of mine had a bout of Malaria when I was with him in Nigeria. No fun at all.
Old 24 August 2005, 05:29 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I would say that protection is far better than taking drugs. They can completely ruin your holiday. Doxycycline is a very common anti-malarial drug and it also can make you feel extremely nauseous, especially taken on an empty stomach. And you have to take it 2 weeks either side of your holiday.

Long sleeves, trousers, DEET and sleeping under mosquito nets are the best idea. Also Malaria infected areas are usually well known so you can avoid them.

You can also get other diseases from Mosquitos just as nasty as malaria so just stop them from biting in the first place.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/seasia.htm

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 24 August 2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 24 August 2005, 05:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link. david
Old 24 August 2005, 06:15 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

A taxis from the airport to the centre is ok. Ignore the people at the airport trying to get you to take their taxi service and go outside to the taxi stand where there will be a line of people queuing. If you make sure the meter is running it will be very cheap. If you get a taxi at the hotel they will try to charge you a fixed big amount - by Western standards it's still cheap though. If you walk 10 yards from the hotel then it should be charged using the meter and will be very cheap. A better bet round Bangkok itself is the SkyTrain. That way you avoid the traffic jams which are bad most of the time. For getting round Thailand I would use planes or trains. There are some cheap airlines that you can book in advance online similar to how we use EasyJet. Be careful you don't exceed the luggage allowance though. Driving is best avoided IMO.

Thai people on the surface are friendly - I married one and she is wonderful Don't get into arguments though. That can be dangerous. The people in general are poor. Many will lie if they can make a few more baht. As someone else said, don't point your feet at anyone. It's considered very rude.

The weather is v hot usually but you get used to it. I would have thought £1000 for 3/4 weeks would be ok but a lot depends where she stays. Hope your daughter enjoys the experience.