Al Mahara restaurant Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2005, 11:30 AM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Al Mahara restaurant Dubai

Hi,

Has anyone eaten at the Al Mahara on Jumeirah beach in Dubai? I know its a novelty experience but is the food any good?

If not anywhere else on Jumeirah beach anyone could recommend?
Old 22 August 2005, 11:47 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by princessyin
Hi,

Has anyone eaten at the Al Mahara on Jumeirah beach in Dubai? I know its a novelty experience but is the food any good?

If not anywhere else on Jumeirah beach anyone could recommend?

i would luv to , never had the chance
Old 22 August 2005, 01:31 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

ive been there and yes the food is lovely but its quite pricey

i found the marina restaurant in the jumeirah beach hotel to be less formal but just as tasty
Old 22 August 2005, 01:43 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

Its my boyfriend's 30th so want to take him somewhere special- i've heard there's another good restaurant with a revolving floor?
Old 22 August 2005, 01:57 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by peterpeter
ive been there and yes the food is lovely but its quite pricey

i found the marina restaurant in the jumeirah beach hotel to be less formal but just as tasty
pricey hmm i will stick to the local kebab shop
Old 22 August 2005, 02:17 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

The Al Mahara is in the basement of the Burj al Arab hotel and is reached by a "virtual" 3 minute submarine ride. Virtual is the word. I got in the lift and went down and said " Is this the Al Mahara? Where was the submarine experience thing?"

"Oh, hold on sir, back in the lift, back up stairs and wait for a few minutes. Ok you can get back in now" - same lift, different plastic crabs and seaweed and a three minute "cruise". Beautiful building, but tacky - caters to local tastes too much IMHO. Can't use the heli pad either as the wind swirls in a far too dangerous manner - a recent ad using it had to pay unbelievable insurance and use a stunt pilot allegedly.

Best restaurant in that building is the Al Muntana, which is up on the "Flying Bridge" type thing up near the top - so some 700 ft above the Gulf - very pricy though.

Also recommend the bar at the top of the Emirates Twin Towers floor 58 or something like that - pretty lively on Thursday nights.

Plus the restaurant at the Dubai Creek golf course - run by Gordon "fekkin" Ramsay.
Old 22 August 2005, 02:35 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Have been to the Al Mahara restaurant - was the best meal ive ever had although £300 for the two of us!!! (manily wine cost - a bottle of Sancerre at £90 a bottle).

Saying that the wine list ranged from £40ish a bottle to £1200.

You do get 8 courses though and the submarine ride was awesome, Quite cheesy but had the fittest blond chick driving!!!

The service is 2nd to none - went for a slash, washed my hand and had a guy hand me a towel which a pair of prongs from a display which was about 4 feet high.

To top it of we got a complementary ride back to the Jumeirah beach hotel in a spanking white Rolls Royce
Old 22 August 2005, 02:36 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Cocker
Have been to the Al Mahara restaurant - was the best meal ive ever had although £300 for the two of us!!! (manily wine cost - a bottle of Sancerre at £90 a bottle).

Saying that the wine list ranged from £40ish a bottle to £1200.

You do get 8 courses though and the submarine ride was awesome, Quite cheesy but had the fittest blond chick driving!!!

The service is 2nd to none - went for a slash, washed my hand and had a guy hand me a towel which a pair of prongs from a display which was about 4 feet high.

To top it of we got a complementary ride back to the Jumeirah beach hotel in a spanking white Rolls Royce
feckin hell u must be rich
Old 22 August 2005, 02:37 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

8 courses??? it a set meal then or were u just hungry?

Also do u need to book?
Old 22 August 2005, 02:38 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Talking

[QUOTE=princessyin]Its my boyfriend's 30th so want to take him somewhere special [QUOTE]

I would have thought he would be delighted with an 8 pack of stella and some filthy s3x.

save some money too.

chop
Old 22 August 2005, 02:43 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

8 courses??? it a set meal then or were u just hungry?

Also do u need to book?
Its not a set meal - just lots of courses to choose from. Each course is not that big but you are full up in the end.

I emailed the Burj before hand to book, but it turned out that i could of booked it through my hotel when we got there although the Burj and Jumeirah bEach hotel is run by the same chain. I'm not sure how it would work if you stayed at another hotel.

youve got to do it as its simply awesome. I was just in awe of the place. Some say it tacky but its a awesome bit of architecture and there is so much gold and precious stones around. The water display is also awesome.

I would recommend also the wild wadi water park and go 4 x 4ing in the sand dunes. Its far to hot though - we went in late sept and it was 40 degrees every day
Old 22 August 2005, 02:45 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
feckin hell u must be rich
Not really - just wanted to treat ourselves. I havnt had a proper holiday in nearly 2 years.

We went for 5 days and with spending money included it cost £2000
Old 22 August 2005, 02:53 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

We're going in 3 weeks time- really looking forward to it but the heat is a bit of a turn off

Yes will definitely do waterpark and dune safari. Did u go on the 4x4's or the dune buggy's? which is better of the two? Also want to visit ski-dubai- real snow on the ski slopes!
Old 22 August 2005, 03:05 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

We're going in 3 weeks time- really looking forward to it but the heat is a bit of a turn off

Yes will definitely do waterpark and dune safari. Did u go on the 4x4's or the dune buggy's? which is better of the two? Also want to visit ski-dubai- real snow on the ski slopes!
Just went 4x4ing in landcruisers. afterwards you get to ride on a camel, have a wicked bbq, watch some belly dancers then smoke the pipe!!!

I want to go back!!!
Old 22 August 2005, 03:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Cocker
Not really - just wanted to treat ourselves. I havnt had a proper holiday in nearly 2 years.

We went for 5 days and with spending money included it cost £2000

thats no bad then i thought 300 a meal was normal for u

2 yrs nice one, its a relief aint it, i aint been on hols for 9 yrs i hope i do end of this yr, all the money i save up for hols i spend on the bills , **** whenever u make a plan to go with your family a big bill comes in and ***** up everything
Old 22 August 2005, 04:05 PM
khany
Scooby Regular

I've put a deposit down on a 1 bedroon flat in Dubai off plan to be completed in 1 years time.....funny thing is that I've never been there just seen various programs on TV. Also get a residents visa for me and the missis upon completion...got no plan of moving out there, its just purley as an investment.

Apparantly they are developing something called 'Dubai Land' which will be bigger and better than any theme park in the world!!!!

I reckon prices are gona boom once all the development is completed in about 10yrs.
Old 22 August 2005, 04:22 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by khany
I've put a deposit down on a 1 bedroon flat in Dubai off plan to be completed in 1 years time.....funny thing is that I've never been there just seen various programs on TV. Also get a residents visa for me and the missis upon completion...got no plan of moving out there, its just purley as an investment.

Apparantly they are developing something called 'Dubai Land' which will be bigger and better than any theme park in the world!!!!

I reckon prices are gona boom once all the development is completed in about 10yrs.

i hope so bros, theirs also a problem off too many houses and too much of a choice to rent coz their r so many empty and available, their building too many flats but with not many people to rent them
Old 22 August 2005, 04:39 PM
khany
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
i hope so bros, theirs also a problem off too many houses and too much of a choice to rent coz their r so many empty and available, their building too many flats but with not many people to rent them
Its not costing me much anyway getting a bit of a bargain....if all else fails at least I got somewhere to stay when I do go over...plus I may get lucky and get a job out there....couple of years working tax free would be cool!