Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wiltshire Bridge Cam on A303

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2005, 01:11 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiltshire Bridge Cam on A303

Marked van with camera facing oncoming traffic. How far away, or length of time, do they need to clock me ? Probably saw it about 1/2 mile ahead maybe less. *******s, an empty road and they cut all the fun out of it.

Expecting an envelope.
Old 22 August 2005, 01:35 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Don't worry - they are particularly quick posting NIPS in that area. Was it on the dual carriageway or single carriageway? There's so many places the ******* are authorised it is no longer an enjoyable drive. Beware that Somerset are using them further on West too.
Old 22 August 2005, 01:37 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

It may actually have been Somerset - was on the dual carriageway East of A38 junction just before two lanes into one and I could see a slowcoach ahead of me lol.
Old 22 August 2005, 03:24 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EBRWRX
How far away, or length of time, do they need to clock me ?
They can read up to a mile away and get an accurate reliable reading, which is especially lethal if the road is clear and you're the only car that stretch!!! There is one stretch of dual carriageway where I live where the Scamera van gets victims before the drivers even see the van buried in the bushes. This particular stretch of road has had NO accidents and has no other roads joining it which could be a potential for an accident ........ its just a site for generating revenue!!!

I only recently twigged that they can't work in the rain/mist though as it diffuses the radar beam
Old 22 August 2005, 03:41 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Coupe-Se] This particular stretch of road has had NO accidents and has no other roads joining it which could be a potential for an accident ........ its just a site for generating revenue!!! [QUOTE]

I recently had to visit a police station on business, as I waited I was flicking through the 'Police Review' of March 2005, and read a reply on the law Q&A page about NIP's and not signing the form etc. the reply to the question ended with this statement;

'...lawyer challanges based on camera evidence on the grounds of it being an abuse of the process by reason of the enforcement measures being founded to raise money instead of road safety. The annual reports of many police forces will provide persuasive evidence of this as will the minutes of management meetings which, applying the European Jurisprudence concept of "equality of arms" might arguably be disclosable under the provisions of the Criminal Procedure and Investigations act 1996.'

There appears to be a hornet's nest! Anyone got a stick???
Old 22 August 2005, 07:01 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

the courts just had to pay back over 1 million pounds to people convicted recently due to the signs being in the wrong place on the A303
Old 22 August 2005, 07:32 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by W 12 X T C
the courts just had to pay back over 1 million pounds to people convicted recently due to the signs being in the wrong place on the A303
That was in the roadworks right on the edge of their area, as you come down the hill towards Countess Services. Seems they are trying to claw back what they lost so be careful throughout Wiltshire. And Somerset. And Hants. Bastids
Old 22 August 2005, 08:08 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
They can read up to a mile away and get an accurate reliable reading, which is especially lethal if the road is clear and you're the only car that stretch!!! There is one stretch of dual carriageway where I live where the Scamera van gets victims before the drivers even see the van buried in the bushes. This particular stretch of road has had NO accidents and has no other roads joining it which could be a potential for an accident ........ its just a site for generating revenue!!!

I only recently twigged that they can't work in the rain/mist though as it diffuses the radar beam
Though they can read from a mile away, they can't target you unless they have reason to believe that you are speeding. This is according to the ACPO guidelines - whether they actually do this though I doubt all the time.
Old 24 August 2005, 02:16 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

I was on an empty dual carriageway in a Subaru - I think they have reasonable grounds.