Karting

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2005, 05:23 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Karting

A request for advice!

Having done plenty of arrive & drive type karting I'd now like to go one stage further & purchase my own kart.

Have been recommended Rotax Max (low maintenance for a non-mechanic like me) & have started searching for a suitable 2nd hand kart.

Live near (30 mins) Rye House & would envisage getting my eye in there.

Currently hold an ARDS 'B' licence which exempts me from the ARKS test.

Any advice / recommendations??

I've little knowledge, have no kart & no gear other than a helmet I've used for tin-top racing!

Don't want to spend over-the-top money (hence most likely to go 2nd hand) as not sure at this stage that I want to be karting every single weekend.

Hugh
Old 22 August 2005, 06:06 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Best website to check if you havent already found is www.karting.co.uk

Loads of advice/infor for karting. Also have a "market place" which has loads of karts for sale.

Rotax Max is best for someone with limited knowledge about karts. The engines are sealed and need rebuilds after 20hrs of use which needs to be carried out by a authorised company.

Best thing is to attend a race day at a track and speak to people who race.

(I dont race karts, but am looking into it)
Old 22 August 2005, 07:40 PM
jgc
Scooby Regular

Rotax Max is 50 hours for a rebuild, the engines are sealed to prevent enhancements, fixed ECU limited to circa 14000 rpm ... I am not sure I understand the 'limited knowledge about karts' reference ... maybe you mean engine rebuilds?

http://tracksideracing.co.uk/
Old 22 August 2005, 08:31 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Yeah I meant engine rebuilds. They seem to be the best for a novice's wanted to start in the sport.

As I said, i dont race karts, so I dont know alot.
Old 22 August 2005, 09:07 PM
andyhaase1
Scooby Regular

rotax max is great fun,I've had mine for six years and I'm on my second chassis. Its had two full rebuilds in that time which cost around £350 a go.Think its done around 70-80 hours by now and apart from that its had a starter motor (£100) and a coil (£130) both recently. Your biggest outlay is tyres, you usually need a new set of slicks every couple of meetings (£100) depending on how abrasive the track surface is if you want to be competetive. If you are just starting out tho I would go down to rye and get talking to some of the quick lads who might be thinking of getting some new equipment and try and get a cheap second hand kart with as many spares as poss. If you ask nicely they will probably give you their old slicks after just a couple of meetings use. Don't do anything hasty, go watch a few race meetings first to get a feel of things and talk to as many drivers/mechanics as you can,offer to fetch them a burger/coke/spare part,then try and blag a test session from them.Most people are friendly until you start beating them but try and keep out of their way if its 5 mins before the final race. You will need a suit, boots and gloves and your helmet to get on the circuit, press the button and away you go.
Old 23 August 2005, 02:44 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Gents - some good advice here.

Actually now thinking about a new kart having been to see both Deavinsons & Zip.

Having found out that the kart I'd first looked out would need a few changes to get it right for me plus a bit of a mechanical overhaul because it's been sitting around for a while, the difference versus new isn't too off-putting.

Just seen Luke Hines at Rye House this morning having a motor round in a kart - almost as fast as Team Zip's (12 year old ) racer.

Hugh
Old 23 August 2005, 03:50 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Hi
I have a rotax max outfit, just purchased a new 2005 chassis and have 2 max engines. It is a sonderfulk kart and I have had lots of success int he senior max racing class. I raced 100cc karts 10 years ago and thought they were fast until i drove a max for the first time, superb machinery and super performance for your money. The 50hr engine rebuild element is possible but if you want the best performance and to be safe I reckon on around 30hrs of use before i have a rebuild. A full rebuild costs around £350 but it depends on what other work if any is required on the engine.
Getting upto speed with all the bits you require can be a long process and expensive, youmust budget for around £600 for you race suit, helmet, cloves and boots, you can get cheaper stuff but it isnt worth it, especially with the helmet. Also running costs in terms of tyres, oil, fuel, spares etc can be pricey. The most cost i had was getting all the right spares and tools, it cost me quite alot.
Its great though and you wont regret starting, if you want a 2nd hand outfit then have a look on karting.co.uk and on ebay as lots are for sale, a decent 2nd hand outfit should be around £1500 - 2000, For insurance i had to add up what i had spent and it totalled around 7k for spares, spare sets of tyres, spare engine, spares etc, but you can do it alot cheaper than that ofcourse. Good luck and PM me if you need anything further
J