Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Noisy neighbours - the facts required...

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2005, 06:39 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy neighbours - the facts required...

Can anyone tell me where to find some guidelines around what is classed as excessive noise in a household environment...

Our neighbours are a bit touchy and have come round today to ask us to turn the music down. Now before everyone assumes I'm a noisy neighbour I aint....and no it's just not my take on it.

What I need to do is know what are the limits of noise making and ensure - as I believe - that I'm within them.

This is a request for factual information, not ill informed heresay on the subject in general.
Old 29 August 2005, 06:45 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

As far as I know, I'm sure noise as in music is fine aslong as by 10pm-11pm it is finished, I got told this when we moved to a different army base and now even when there is a do on camp at a weekend the music stops at 10pm-11pm, I have my music on loud throughout the day and get no complaints, coz now we can get a fine from the RSM of the camp if the noise level is excessive after those times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/ask_the_...selevels.shtml

Have a look there, it says about legislation laws.

Last edited by Julz1983; 29 August 2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 29 August 2005, 06:54 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

http://nscaorguk.site.securepod.com/...bour_noise.cfm

no actual info on dB levels as far as I can see though.

Is the neighbour always complaining about somethingt or is this the first time he has raised an issue ?
Old 29 August 2005, 06:57 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

A mate who works for the council says that any "nuisance", be it noise or whatever can only be classed as such if it is a regular occurence i.e. you can get away with almost anything as a one off, but do it every day or every weekend and you'll get an ASBO

My mate evicts scum from council property for a living and loves his job
Old 29 August 2005, 07:01 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

in 3 years of living at this address, they've been round a max of 4 times in that period.

At no time have they been amicable or friendly. Blatantly hostile is what they could be described as.

I've agreed to be considerate which I feel I already am as I'm a reasonable person. I just want to know myself what is allowed / acceptable and what is not as each couple will think differently.

In fact - one of the gripes was about us making noise on new years eve / morning.

At all times, it's been during daylight hours.

The neighbour said that they work nights but how would i know that? They've been pretty unpleasant in the past so why would I have reason to want to understand their work routine?

They've stated that they have a diary which I've asked them to go through with me but they refused. I may even start my own and record noise levels in my own house ready for the EHO's that are likely to be sent on a wild goose chase....
Old 29 August 2005, 07:11 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Hmmm, I take it that they have lived their longer than you.
TBH It's a pretty bad state of affairs that they have felt enough reason to call on you on average more than once a year, that is my personal opinion of course.

If he works nights I can understand him wanting a bit of quiet during the day. Maybe you should buy him some of these http://www.earplugsdirect.co.uk/
Old 29 August 2005, 07:25 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

We had a similar issue with our old neighbours (we moved in the end) she would play music all day from midday onwards till about midnight.

We had the council around on a number of occasions and one time she actually had it on at the time, he knocked and told her to turn it down and told her to keep it down in the future, that never happened!!! And we where knocking on a daily basis at one point telling her to turn it down.

In regards to what to do and noise levels, If they are keeping a diary let them this means crap all to the council, unless they have been specifically asked byt the council to do this, as aswell as the diary the council will leave recording equipment at their premises for a 24hr period a number of times within a month, to record the sounds levels / duration etc.

We had to do this and yet it still got us nowhere, although we did only actually get a recording once for about 5 mins, for some reason the days we had the equipment she never had her music on, although she stayed in all day (single / doley - turned - single mum / benefits ). so would have saw the equipment being dropped off!!

We where in a semi, so it was only our word against hers, as no-one else was prepared to complain to the council too, even though she pissed others in the street off too.

If you are in a terrace and the people on the other side dont complain then your neighbout will find it hard to get the council to do anything without real evidence.

I wouldnt worry about it if i were you.

Mark

Edit: if the music is really loud then it doesnt matter what time of day it occurs at, the council guy told us that its too loud if you have to turn your tele up to hear it normally and we had to ALL the time.

Last edited by NWMark; 29 August 2005 at 07:31 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 29 August 2005, 07:33 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

We used to have a noisy (loud music) neighbour and it ruined our lives for a while, till i went round and walled the **** up and threatened him with extreme physical violence.

It suddenly stopped then, but it's a shame it had to come to that.
Old 30 August 2005, 12:43 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

there is no DB limit - if it is a nuisance to them then you are in the wrong - 4 times in three years that it has been bad enough for them to call round?? - you are a neighbour from hell - glad I don't live near you
Old 30 August 2005, 07:25 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Try to be a good neighbour, a bad one can ruin your lives .............. Perhaps ought to look at it from their side.
If they are being unreasonable you have nothing to worry about. We have just got a noise nuisance served with a banning order .......... so it can work. They have a month then after that they make a nuisance the Bill get called....
Old 30 August 2005, 07:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If they can hear your music then it is too loud , its that simple!

You have to accept that you have responsibilites towards others and it is down to you to turn the volume down to stop the irritation towards others.

It is also a fact that if you want to live in a civilised society you can't do just what you like without considering the effects on other people.

Les
Old 30 August 2005, 07:49 AM
Horico
Scooby Regular

I'd just like to set a few things straight before the bandwagon gets chocca....

We aren't noisy neighbours / neighbours from hell as some have commented.
Yes, I do see it from their side - please don't assume I don't.
The music isn't that loud....in fact it's a lot quiter than I've had from neighbours in the past.
The main problem is the guy working lates. If we had a relationship whereby I knew when he was likely to be in bed in the day, I would never dream of interrupting him.

Oh and the music isn't on all the time - for a start we're hardly in and when we are it's late evening and it doesn't go on then. Posts above have talked about constant excessive noise and that isn't the case here. I do believe that they are over sensetive to it as they lived with it before and the lad the other side plays the drums.

I'll assume fast bloke's comment was a joke as there is nothing with which to base the assumtion on. I could easily assume that you drive like an idiot on the road due to your choice of nickname on here.

They even commented on the fact that when the garage door is opened, it makes a lot of noise. Now come on...how can I not go in my garage occasionally. It doesn't slam as it's electric - just the sound of it opening and closing is enough to get them annoyed.

I'm fully aware of the need to consider others in a civilised society but there are certain things that should be accepted in a housing environment and that is that there will be the occasional noise. It's as much an expectation that this should be accepted as it's expected that consideration should be made.

If anyone can add to the facts without half cocked assumptions I'd be grateful.
Old 30 August 2005, 08:35 AM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

If they are complaining about a garage door opening and closing, which must take what 10 seconds max, they are being over sensitive and i would ignore them.

To put your mind at rest, ring the council and tell them you situation and see what they say. This way if they ever knock again about the music you can say ive spoken to the Council who have said XYZ.

Ive just cut and paste this from my councils website

What we deal with

We can deal with noise from domestic premises, such as loud music, barking dogs and DIY and also from equipment in the street. We cannot deal with traffic noise or noise from people shouting or fighting in the street.

How we deal with your complaint

Once you have contacted us we will discuss the matter with you. After this we will send you a noise diary and will write to the noise maker. We will not inform the noise maker who has made the complaint. You will be asked to keep the noise diary for 14 days, after which time you must return it to us for further action to be taken. Once we have received your noise diary we will arrange to carry out visits to establish whether a statutory nuisance exists.

If we witness a nuisance a notice will be served to stop the nuisance. Failure to comply with the notice may result in the noise maker being prosecuted in the magistrates court. You may be required to give evidence in the court.
It doesnt actually state on the website what they deem 'a nuisance' though, if your neighbours had their way i think they'd complain about a fart!!

So until you hear from the Council id be fine, and if you do get a letter from the council keep it quiet for 14 days

Mark

Last edited by NWMark; 30 August 2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 30 August 2005, 09:12 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

If you receive a letter from the council you will need to declare this when you sell the house.

Try talking to them and maybe pop round and listen to the music from their house and see if it would annoy you.
Old 30 August 2005, 09:42 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I think unless you go around and talk to them its going to get worse - try and find out what times the guy is going to be asleep, and dont play any music at those times unless you wear headphones ! Also, for times when they are awake, try and work out some sort of agreement, like any music will stop by 9 p.m. or similar.

Doing this now will let you both know where you stand, and save it escalating into something much worse. Also, if you are planning on having a party ASK your neighbours if they mind before just assuming its OK for you to have one ( or just invite them to the party, then they cant complain ) - just because you want to be up until 1pm on new years eve doesnt mean other people do.

Posters on here are correct, you may not think its loud, but it depends on the level it comes through in their house - bass on modern stereos can travel a long way through buildings, and can be really irritating - if its enough to wake him up when hes trying to sleep, then whatever you think its too loud.

Imagine how you would feel if he got up at 3 a.m. and started playing music or stuck the TV on loud enough for you to hear and keep you awake !

A lot of people wrongly assume that they can make as much noise as they want up until 11pm, which is BS - if you are genuinely annoying someone, stop doing it - the neighbour may work nights, be ill, have young children trying to sleep, or just want to be able to peacefully sit in their house or garden without having to listen to your noise.

Sorry, but noise is something that gets on my wick as there seems to be too many people now who have no consideration for how their actions effect other people.
Old 30 August 2005, 10:18 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

what you have to watch for is council noise teams. I've tangled with them before and they are not to be underestimated.
Its very abitary, if they consider it to be a nuisence than thats it, its a nuisence.
It was over the noise generated by my 3-door Sierra Cosworth and despite me being reasonable, (removing the cone filter and dump valve) they still wanted the exhaust removed (despite it being identical to the standard item, just made of stainless steel) They refused to budge, I couldnt afford to have it sound tested so that was it, the car was banned from entering a 5 mile area to the north of Heathrow airport every night of the week, from 8pm till 6am.
Noise teams are *******, underestimate them at your peril.
astraboy.
Old 30 August 2005, 11:28 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Must've been DAMN loud to be heard over the Jets ;0)
Old 30 August 2005, 11:34 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Its been bliss in my household for the past 2 weeks! My neighbours have been away and theres been no music, no TV to wake the dead and no doors being slammed every few moments.

The TV and the music isn't exactly loud but it disturbs me and when it disturbs my 3 year old daughter I have to go round and ask them to keep it down. Initially they were fine and did as we asked. Now they just say yeah, I'll turn it down and never do.

On the other hand, the nieghbour before these was very sensitive to music and she'd be round every time we had friends over (which wasn't often). We never heard a peep out of her however we felt she was rather annoying coming round at the slightest thing.

I can see things from both sides of the fence but its amazing what a difference it makes to your well-being if your neighbours are quiet and don't disturb you.
Old 30 August 2005, 04:38 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

On topic - there was recently a poll in the Independant, asking house buyers what their ideal house would be.

For pretty much every year for the past however many years it has been 'little country cottage' guess what it was this time ?

DETATCHED HOUSE - says quite a lot ! - personally, if I was looking to buy now I wouldnt even consider a semi or terraced house - you may have to pay quite a bit extra for a detatched one, but for the sake of not having to listen to your neighbours taste in crap jungle music it would be worth it !
Old 30 August 2005, 06:31 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Hang on a minute here! What is wrong with playing music in your own home during the day!!???
When you look at life and how stupid it has gotten over the past few years, with rules and regulations saying... you cant say that and you cant do this, we will fine you, tax you, imprison you, give you points etc then what the fcku can we do!!??

The majority of people slave their guts out on average 37 hours a week working, to get taxed, pay bills, and then spend what little is left on trying to survive and enjoy whats called a "life" !!!!

When houses walls are so thin that you can hear your neighbours getting happy in the bedroom or even flushing their toilet.......then yeah they are bound to hear music whether its loud or not!

I say sod them, if it isnt played late then its tuff luck, you dont live your life around your neighbours.... you live for yourself! and if you enjoy playing music then play it because you deserve to.
Old 30 August 2005, 06:39 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

consider playing songs such as Queens 'who wants to live forever' or Gloria Gaynor 'knock on wood' they'll soon get the hint

Or be even more subtle and play happy hardcore classics with the bass cranked up but the volume low and see how they like the thudding

Or tinker about with the car reving the engine and looking under the bonnet as if something is wrong

Or get some old wood and practice your DIY skills by holding it up to the adjoining wall and hammer nails into it

But whatever you do........DONT GIVE INTO THE MOANING IDIOTS!!!
Old 30 August 2005, 06:44 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

oh yes another great one is................................................ .............

............Sing along like you've never sang in your life!!
Fill them lungs and give it your best shot!! (also helps if your doing the housework at the same time cos then you can clatter about with the vaccuum cleaner!)
Old 30 August 2005, 06:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd try to diffuse an animosity....... get yourself around there (maybe even a bottle of wine as an apology)

Before people get outraged - there's a bigger picture.

Try and be percieved as seeing it from their point of view, and apologise that you didn't know they were night-shifters etc........

You can then say, being totally reasonable, that you've done all you can to diffuset the situation. If they're continually ar$ey, you've done ALL you can within reason, and it;s then shifted onto THEM, that THEY'BE being unreasonable.....
Maybe even write a letter to the council, stating everything you've done to sort the situation before they can put in a complaint.......

The art of diplomacy - telling someone to FUKC OFF in such a way that they look forward to the journey

Dan
Old 30 August 2005, 06:58 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

People complain about too much these days and forget about what is important in life.

You dont see the whole street throwing massive community parties like they used to a few years ago

When you compare back then to current affairs now, its such a shame that standards of society have dropped.
Old 30 August 2005, 10:47 PM
Carter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
I say sod them, if it isnt played late then its tuff luck, you dont live your life around your neighbours.... you live for yourself! and if you enjoy playing music then play it because you deserve to.
Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
When you compare back then to current affairs now, its such a shame that standards of society have dropped.
You have to be some kind of prize-winning super-retard. Just how much did your mother drink whilst pregnant?

Either that or you're trolling. Surely no-one can be that short of self-awareness.
Old 31 August 2005, 07:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just another dyed in the wool Chav!

Les
Old 31 August 2005, 05:26 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

that last statement was sarcasm I meant every word previous to that!

Ive been there done that and know just how annoying moaning neighbours can be!

PMSL never been called a retard before, cheers
Old 01 September 2005, 08:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is a first time for everything!

Les
Old 29 September 2005, 05:39 PM
John1uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
A mate who works for the council says that any "nuisance", be it noise or whatever can only be classed as such if it is a regular occurence i.e. you can get away with almost anything as a one off, but do it every day or every weekend and you'll get an ASBO

My mate evicts scum from council property for a living and loves his job
are you asumming evryone in a council flat is scum?

Just to inform you, they are human like yourself, in an unfortunate surrounding.

less of the scum mate.
Old 29 September 2005, 07:07 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John1uk
are you asumming evryone in a council flat is scum?

Just to inform you, they are human like yourself, in an unfortunate surrounding.

less of the scum mate.
Get off the high horse!! He didn't say everyone one who lives in a council flat is scum. Anyway, you should thank his mate for doing such a job as it gets rid of your undesirable neighbours!!