Fuel protest drive

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2005, 11:38 AM
TDaxGav
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel protest drive

Hey guys,

In the process of organzing a fuel protest drive through london, hoping to get some media coverage.

Would you guys be interested?

Thanks

Gav

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=46488
Old 05 September 2005, 11:39 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I'm certainly up for the raising of fuel prices in the hope of reducing congestion and environmental damage, wasteful journeys etc.!
Old 05 September 2005, 11:42 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

LOL - I know where this is going.
Old 05 September 2005, 02:05 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Old 05 September 2005, 02:13 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
LOL - I know where this is going.
Go on then
Old 05 September 2005, 02:30 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
Go on then
All right then...

If you can't afford to run your gas guzzling performance car then sell it and buy something you can afford. Simple.

Turning up at Downing St in your noisey environmentally unfriendly turbo supersport to moan about petrol prices will only help to vindicate the government's anti-motorist stance.

Or something along those lines.
Old 05 September 2005, 02:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

p.s. on their thread, they are going to "number 10 Down Street", that's in Mayfair LOL

Old 05 September 2005, 02:35 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

what next? Rik Waller moaning about the price of Pizza?
Old 05 September 2005, 02:36 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
p.s. on their thread, they are going to "number 10 Down Street", that's in Mayfair LOL

I think you will find it's hactually in Everton!
Old 05 September 2005, 02:38 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I'd rather they taxed my fuel than my wage to make up any deficit in revenue. At least with fuel most people have some other option to save cash, whether it be a more economical car, public transport or shared commuting vehicles. If they took the tax from your wage you are stuck with it.
Old 05 September 2005, 02:39 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

LOL - I blam that **** Katrina and I'm gonna get her when I see her for these petrol rises, but then I hear she gives good blow jobs, so I might reserve judgement
Old 05 September 2005, 02:40 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...app=newmap.srf

Old 06 September 2005, 01:00 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Nice idea.. Fully in support of it all.. Just a few points though..I think its best if we write to the main people on these boards asking for their assitance then they can put a sticky thread up for everyone to see.. Some people may not be able to travel the huge distances to London but maywell still want to protest so my thoughts are.. Extend the date back to the end of the year and orgainse with different organisers on different car forums at various venues around the country, preferably the main arteries and around downing street etc etc.. Also what about the hauliers.??. They must be feeling it worse than us. Maybe we could get a load of them on board also.. anybody have any ideas what sites these truckers are on..?

And btw.. for people with smart **** negative comments,save them for another thread..They are not constructive at all and only put others off. Petrol prices are absolutley sodding criminal.. I can afford any petrol jump up but i be buggered if im gonna take it laying down.. Besides it will work if we ALL do it together, and i mean loads of us.. Like i said a while ago.. we dictate the prices not them..
Old 06 September 2005, 01:14 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
And btw.. for people with smart **** negative comments,save them for another thread..They are not constructive at all and only put others off. Petrol prices are absolutley sodding criminal.. I can afford any petrol jump up but i be buggered if im gonna take it laying down.. Besides it will work if we ALL do it together, and i mean loads of us.. Like i said a while ago.. we dictate the prices not them..
If you want to plainly ignore the facts of recent oil price increases, then so be it. You are free to protest as you see fit, but plain ignorance of the real issues at the heart of the rise is naive, and will only make you appear stupid.

This is not a black & white issue, so be prepared for debate. The simple fact is that the UK currently has a £33bn budget deficit. In other words, Gordon Brown is short of £33bn. To reduce fuel duty, would require increasing this deficit. To avoid that, taxes have to be recouped elsewhere....many people don't want other stealth taxes applied just to reduce fuel by a few pennies.

Still, stick your head in the sand if you like.....
Old 06 September 2005, 01:39 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thankyou for your kind comments there..btw its 35billion. Just nit-picking

Im sure the truckers really feel it more than us..+ it affects their livihood. Ok maybe i jumped the gun abit, i know its not black and white but i feel we need to protest.. thats how people used to get things done in the old days, pressure groups etc.. If fuel goes up we shout.. if other taxes are imposed then we shout again and again..I see your point regarding the stealth taxes.. Remember William Hague's little joke Gordon Brown is a pickpocket who shakes your hand with a smile after he has stealthily removed your wallet. Over the years it looks like Mr Brown has really damaged our countries growth Just makes me annoyed thats all.. So are we all just to take it all with a pinch of salt and get raped by these people?

Last edited by scrappydoo; 06 September 2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06 September 2005, 01:46 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Well, the majority of people who voted elected them and that's how democracy works.

It's just a shame that so many didn't use their vote, as the majority of the voting population did not vote them in.

Another lesson in why you should use your vote.
Old 06 September 2005, 01:57 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Couldnt agree more on that one. people died for the right to vote.
Old 06 September 2005, 07:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It s the height of apathy and laziness not to vote.

Les
Old 06 September 2005, 08:20 AM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Originally Posted by unclebuck
If you can't afford to run your gas guzzling performance car then sell it and buy something you can afford. Simple.
It doesn't matter what car you drive, its still much more expensive to drive it!
Old 06 September 2005, 10:03 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
If fuel goes up we shout.. if other taxes are imposed then we shout again and again..I see your point regarding the stealth taxes.. Remember William Hague's little joke Gordon Brown is a pickpocket who shakes your hand with a smile after he has stealthily removed your wallet. Over the years it looks like Mr Brown has really damaged our countries growth Just makes me annoyed thats all..
If you had read the threads, the rise in fuel costs is NOT down to rises in fuel duty/tax. GB has frozen the duty on fuel a fair while ago. If the time was to campaign against fuel duty, it was 5/10 years ago.

The rises now are NOT down to Shell/Esso/BP etc. deciding that they want more profits. The cost is down to OPEC charging them more. So if you want to protest then protest against OPEC having expensive oil. BUT HANG ON, why is it costing more? Because nations like China/India etc. are becoming nations that want oil as they become more developed and create demand. So protest against china/india etc. becoming more developed if you wish but why should we in the UK have any more right than those in China becoming a more developed nation?

Then there's the whole gas gussling cars issue etc.

'storms' like in the US raise the cost of oil as the refineries etc. there can't produce fuel, therefore the US has to get their fuel from elsewhere.

This is all down to SUPPLY AND DEMAND, there is only so much oil to go round so the price rises.

So, how to reduce the price? Well, one of 2 things. Increase supply (can't really be done easily, ultimately we'll run out) or decrease demand (use less fuel, alternative fuels, use cars less etc.).

The cost will continue rising, so even if they scrapped ALL the duty and tax on fuel (ignoring the shortfall to our public services for a minute, another thread etc.), the cost will still rise up to the current levels in a few years.

We in the UK (and rest of developed world) have had it so good for a long time but that time is coming to an end, not much you can do in the long term if you really wanna continue using petrol/diesel powered cars). I don't like it, don't want high petrol costs but at least I appreciate the bigger picture.

Now I didn't study economics but at least I can understand (to my limited knowledge) the basics of this whole issue.

Last edited by Dracoro; 06 September 2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:13 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of a protest drive to complain about the price of petrol. Ironic.

the fact is though this country is built on the back ot the car/truck/van.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:32 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Heart says "Protest, protest, protest"

Brain says "what against?"
Old 06 September 2005, 11:10 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
The rises now are NOT down to Shell/Esso/BP etc. deciding that they want more profits. The cost is down to OPEC charging them more. So if you want to protest then protest against OPEC having expensive oil.
Just one thing....OPEC doesn't set prices. It may try to influence prices, but that's all. OPEC do not supply all the world's oil - not by any means.

Prices are influenced moreso on worldwide commodity markets by traders buying/selling oil futures.

OPEC are doing all they can to bring prices down....by trying to up what they supply to the market. It's not working very well. OPEC have always set a target of around $25-35 as the "ideal" for a barrel of oil. It's now not far off $70.

Last edited by imlach; 06 September 2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06 September 2005, 11:20 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think imlach should declare his sinister agenda here. He is not fighting for fairness to the government or trying to assign blame for the outrageous cost of petrol to the oil companies.... he is a bicycle nutter who has long since lost interest in cars and who thinks everyone can/should cycle to work!

Our fuel is overpriced because it is overtaxed. Its easy to say "use less then" but making concessions at that rate will soon leave us priced out of our cars altogether and, through lack of viable alternatives, effectively transportless and controlled, just how New Labour wants us.

The less we use, the more they will tax it to keep up revenue until such a time when we can't afford it at all. Then they will move onto bicycles.....
Old 06 September 2005, 11:23 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
I think imlach should declare his sinister agenda here. He is not fighting for fairness to the government or trying to assign blame for the outrageous cost of petrol to the oil companies.... he is a bicycle nutter who has long since lost interest in cars and who thinks everyone can/should cycle to work! :.
No sinister agenda. Just pure, simple, plain facts. Just no-one wants to believe them. Heads in sand.
Old 06 September 2005, 11:26 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Then they will move onto bicycles.....
Yep. Road tax and MOT tests will become madatory for all bicycles as will road charging, parking fines etc.

The potential for raising revenue will be enormous - and it'll be green and sustainable. Happy times lie ahead for the carrot crunchers.....
Old 06 September 2005, 12:10 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Aye, pretty pathetic when all you can talk about in your arguments against are mocking bicycles & spouting opinions, not facts. Yeah yeah....mature comments about "carrot crunching". Saying that fuel duty is too high is an opinion, NOT a fact. Pathetic.

I present facts.

1) Fuel duty has not risen to cause these high prices.
2) Prices may be high, but you all keep buying the stuff, so obviously not high enough yet! ie, demand is not falling
3) The UK budget deficit is £35bn. There is no scope for tax cuts.

Care to disprove these three FACTS?
Old 06 September 2005, 12:58 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Aye, pretty pathetic when all you can talk about in your arguments against are mocking bicycles & spouting opinions, not facts. Yeah yeah....mature comments about "carrot crunching". Saying that fuel duty is too high is an opinion, NOT a fact. Pathetic.
Pull yourself together! No need to get all wobbly lipped because I pulled you up on being a bicycle nutter!

I present facts.

1) Fuel duty has not risen to cause these high prices.
2) Prices may be high, but you all keep buying the stuff, so obviously not high enough yet! ie, demand is not falling
3) The UK budget deficit is £35bn. There is no scope for tax cuts.

Care to disprove these three FACTS?
1) The prices have been too high for YEARS! Fuel duty has risen substantially in that time and accounts for virtually all the difference in price between here and certain other countries where the government somehow seems to survive without raping the motorist for the absolute maximum they can pay.

2) The definition of "reasonable price" is not the absolute maximum people can pay. Would you be happy to see food prices increase until just the point people start starving?

3) If the UK has a £35bn deficit then the government should stop pissing it up against the wall! We pay more and more in tax every year and we get less and less in return. They have no business raising taxes whilst they are still spunking millions on domes, paying miscreants to turn up to school and funding disabled ethnic minority lesbian art foundations!

There I said it!
Old 06 September 2005, 01:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

dont use your cars....

walk through through the streets... once billy see,s how many people will be affected, it may hit home,,,

how long could they last with chronic overcrowding on the transport system??

better still how long could they survive with almost zero returns from vat and fuel duty if you didnt buy petrol for a few weeks...

M
Old 06 September 2005, 01:13 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ajm
They have no business raising taxes whilst they are still spunking millions on domes, paying miscreants to turn up to school and funding disabled ethnic minority lesbian art foundations!
Not to mention the funding of anti-motorist green nutcase cycling organisations such as Sustrans and Transport 2000.

UB

Quick Reply: Fuel protest drive