Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Footie training

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2005, 04:26 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Footie training

I'm about to sign for a footie team and have not played proper fooball for about 6 years

I've changed my running cycle from 3 miles once a week to 1.5 miles every other day so I'm slowly building my stamina. I've also started hill running along with circuits twice a day consisting of a small amount of weighted sit-ups, press-ups, and dumbell bicep curls.

What extra could I be doing becuase after a few lengths of sprinting up and down a pitch I'm almost dead for a few minutes.

Darren
Old 05 September 2005, 04:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

You said it there at the end. football is about short sprints and recovery time. You are doing some good stuff already.

Our footy training involves shuttle runs so lots of short sprints but done in different ways to keep it interesting.

other stuff such as running at 3/4 pace. First run to the half way line and walk back (max 30 seconds before you go again), then to the end on the pitch (30 secs rest). starting end of the pitch and back to the half way (30 seconds rest), walk to the far end. to the start end and back to the far end (so two full lengths of the pitch). have 1 min rest. Then repeat. You should end up then back where you started.... and feel fooked!

got others if you need.
Old 05 September 2005, 04:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Trust me its hard work, although I dont do any exercise apart form play footy every sunday.... I played for the first time yesterday since the end of the season, Im walking like John Wayne today although thats down to my legs being knackered rather than any other obscure suggestions that'll get chucked about

As long as youve got stamina you should be fine... thats most of it... Swimming is probably the best form of exercise you could do though. Works most of the muscles you'll need

good luck
Old 05 September 2005, 04:36 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Just to add. 5-a-side although can be intense is nothing like playing 11's in terms of the fitness required. As they say games will help but you need training that involves a quick recovery.

edit to add: do some weight work on your legs if you can. running in a straight line is all well and good but in football you are twisting turning etc. you use different parts of your muscles than just plain running.

Last edited by STi wanna Subaru; 05 September 2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05 September 2005, 05:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast are you covering your 1.5-mile run?

If you're playing for 90mins then your body will need to be efficient enough to cope with 90mins of high-intensity exercise. Do at least one long run to build stamina into your legs and keep the rest to shorter sprints.

I would try and do all your running cross country if you can. The constant change in terrain is great for working all your lower leg muscles, tendons and ligaments and should help prevent shin splints.

Intervals and Circuits are great, but I would increase the length of a circuit session so you are getting a very good workout. You can combine press-ups, sit-ups, etc.. with sprints (shuttle runs). As mentioned already the sprints should include quick changes in direction to work yourself harder.

Stefan
Old 05 September 2005, 05:05 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Comments taken on board guys.

I did try doing length's of the footie pitch but its so boring. I'd sprint from touch line to half way, then jog the rest, sprint half, jog, sprint, jog. That went on until I'd done 10 lengths. I did however find it sooooo boring.

One I used to remember doign years ago was slow jogging lengths of a pitch but with headers, touch left hand to the ground, touch right hand to the ground etc. It would look a bit silly on my own through as they don't currently train mid week at all

STi, post up some more please

Dave, swimming is a no go as I can't swim!!

Darren
Old 05 September 2005, 05:15 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

http://www.stefanostadal.homedns.org..._intervals.htm

The numbers thing is good, but you need someone to shout out random ones; it's too easy to do yourself. We used to do it like this:-

Jog in a big circle and then the PTI would shout out a number

1. Press-Up
2. Sit-Up
3. Left-hand
4. Right-Hand
5. Turn Around
6. Jump In The Air

Unfortunately, that was just our warm-ups before getting a good beasting.

Other stuff we did was hill reps, but everything relies on a training partner. Find a nice long, steep grassy hill. Set 3 cones about 20m apart.

Sprint to 1st cone, do 15 press-ups (face downhill)
Sprint back down
Sprint to 2nd cone, do 10 press-ups
Sprint back down
Sprint to 3rd conde, do 5 press-ups
Rest (jog on the spot while your m8 does it)

Sprint to 1st cone, do 15 sit-ups (face uphill)

You can do these with different exercises, such as Burpees, Squat Thrusts, Star Jumps, etc..

Another good thing is hauling your training partner up the hill as fast as possible. You can carry him (fireman's lift), drag him backwards holding him underarm, drag him forwards with him hanging off your shoulders, etc...

On their own the won't get you fit, but build them into a 45min sessions and it will be hard work. You can add some jogging (or running) before and after to create more diversity.

Stefan

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2005, 05:15 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

About 15-25 minutes roughly, depends on how bad my day has been, it also depends on what I've eaten in the day. If dinner was recent, I try not to take it too fast.

I've just started Cross-country runs on Saturday mornings as I can't run after work because its too dark and there is no way I can get my **** up the hills in the morning.

Looks like I'll be zig zagging across a pitch near you soon

Darren
Old 05 September 2005, 05:19 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Stefan,

Which forces were you in? That seems like a strict regime.

Thanks for the web link, I’m having a look now

Darren
Old 05 September 2005, 05:32 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

it will be so hard by your own. You need the motivation of not being last for fear of the pi55 being ripped! You really need to do it as a team. it helps with the spirit as well. Team suttles etc and competition (so motivation) and you get the encouragement from your team.

What you where doing sounds good though.

there are one we do where you go through 8 exercises (tries to remember). Press ups, crunches, Star jumps (down to the ground with your hand and jump in the air on the way back up), close arm push ups, Squats (real thigh burners if done right), leg raises, squat thrusts and finally Squats but going from the sqaut up and jumping. Do these for 40 seconds at a time (if you can). ). The team is spilt into two groups. with half doing one exercise while the other does shuttle runs for the 40 seconds (steady pace, not sprinting). You alterante between the exercise and the running.

Another for the legs and thinking about what you are doing is. 4 cones, form a square (12-15 ft square). You have 3 members of the team per square. 2 men on the outside and one on the inside of the square. Imagine the two men on the outside form the X and Y axis of a graph. They have to run, walk, sprint, between the two cones on their side (once they set off for one cone they must complete the distance to it then start back to the other cone). The man in the middle has to basically plot the graph the two men on the outside form. so imagine a line going up from the two outside men and where that line would cross is where your centre man has to be. Effectively the two outside men are working the one in the middle. it's hard work but requires thought! Do for 3 to 4 mins then swap places so each has been in the middle.

hope that makes sense?
Old 05 September 2005, 05:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
http://www.stefanostadal.homedns.org..._intervals.htm

The numbers thing is good, but you need someone to shout out random ones; it's too easy to do yourself. We used to do it like this:-

Jog in a big circle and then the PTI would shout out a number

1. Press-Up
2. Sit-Up
3. Left-hand
4. Right-Hand
5. Turn Around
6. Jump In The Air

Unfortunately, that was just our warm-ups before getting a good beasting.

Other stuff we did was hill reps, but everything relies on a training partner. Find a nice long, steep grassy hill. Set 3 cones about 20m apart.

Sprint to 1st cone, do 15 press-ups (face downhill)
Sprint back down
Sprint to 2nd cone, do 10 press-ups
Sprint back down
Sprint to 3rd conde, do 5 press-ups
Rest (jog on the spot while your m8 does it)

Sprint to 1st cone, do 15 sit-ups (face uphill)

You can do these with different exercises, such as Burpees, Squat Thrusts, Star Jumps, etc..

Another good thing is hauling your training partner up the hill as fast as possible. You can carry him (fireman's lift), drag him backwards holding him underarm, drag him forwards with him hanging off your shoulders, etc...

On their own the won't get you fit, but build them into a 45min sessions and it will be hard work. You can add some jogging (or running) before and after to create more diversity.

Stefan

stuff like that is great.... well I'd hate to do it but sure would do the job!!
Old 05 September 2005, 05:40 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

others.

Form a circle in pairs. stand behind your parner. You mount up on their back piggy-back style. Then the manager will shout a number and a direction eg 4 left. The man at back has to dismount and run left round the circle along 4 men and get on his back. to get them thinking a bit more you can do the same but throw in 6 left, 2 right. effectively sending them to the same place if they can do the maths. Then repeat with the inner person on the outside when you've done a few.
Old 05 September 2005, 10:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
Stefan,

Which forces were you in? That seems like a strict regime.

Thanks for the web link, I’m having a look now

Darren
I spent a little time in the Marines for my sins.

Competition is the main motivation to keep pushing yourself. Everyone will naturally stick to their comfort zone. Having someone screaming in your ear or threatening you with more physical work is a great motivator.

It never amazes me just how fast and far I can haul @ss when the threat of 50 press-ups for the last man home is hanging over my head

Watch for injuries, especially your lower legs. Having suffered from Shin Splints in the past, it's important to build up any running and keep to soft surfaces until you have loads of running under your belt.

Is your 15-25mins for the 1.5 mile run? How do you feel during the run? Is your breathing heavy or could you hold a conversation with someone?

If you can talk, then you're running too easy. You need to be b@lls out over such a short distance to get any real benefit.

Stefan
P.S. And what's wrong with the dark? don't be scared, I've ran through plenty of cow **** over the winters
Old 05 September 2005, 11:19 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Stefan,

The marines are hard core I considered the Marine life when I left school but tried the RAF instead and failed all the tests for what I wanted to do, they did offer me infantry though

The time is for the 1.5 mile yes, I could quite easily hold a conversation with someone and my breathing is not too fast. So I'm assuming I'm not pushing my self enough.

Saying that I went for a run on Sunday at 10am and I was sweating buckets due to the heat, I refused to stop though

Darren
Old 05 September 2005, 11:47 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

You don't need intelligence for the infantry thats for sure

Basic Fitness Test for the Military would be a 3-mile run. First 1.5 miles to be covered in 15 mins, second is all out with a max time of 11.5mins. You should give that a try to see what level of fitness you're at.

If you want to get fit fast then run as fast as you can. I used to do a nice 3.5 mile loop around my village as fast as I could at least twice per week along with my other normal and long runs. Biggest benefits were defintely the sprinting and faster runs. A 25min hard run felt a lot more beneficial than a 60min jog.

You do need to do stuff that'll get your body used to 90 mins of exercise. A nice long, slow jog is good for that but only once per week.

Stefan
Old 06 September 2005, 08:30 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I'll get my stop watch out and give that a bash tonight. One thing I realised last night was that my 15-25 minutes involved all the stretching time before and after running.

Darren
Old 06 September 2005, 09:18 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I'm glad to hear it. You could walk 1.5 miles in 25 mins
Old 06 September 2005, 10:37 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I just drove round the area I run and its no where near 1.5 miles, its over 2.5miles.

Also, my 3 mile run turned out to be almost 4.5miles.

Looks like my estimating is rubbish

Darren
Old 08 September 2005, 09:42 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Had training last night. couple of things that did me!

1) cones about 25 yeards apart. team spilt into 3 groups. first group sprints between the cones for 40 seconds. whistle goes and the next group go straight away. repeat for the final group. then start again. did it 6 times.

2) all the team line up on the edge of one penalty area. whistle goes and sprint to the bottom penalty area. Didn't know we where being timed. The time the last person crosses the line is the target time + 2 seconds. Ours was 13 seconds. We then have to get from one area to the other in 13 seconds. this is repeated 10 times. If one member of the team is slower than the target time another length is added on.

My legs can feel it today!
Old 08 September 2005, 11:36 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I should add for that second one you have approx 15 to 20 seconds rest between each run.
Old 08 September 2005, 11:43 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Darren, you Muppet
Old 08 September 2005, 11:45 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Darren, you Muppet

he wont reply.... he's just gone for a 26 mile jog
Old 08 September 2005, 11:48 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I'll give him 10 mins then
Old 09 September 2005, 11:20 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments again guys. I've been away on business so I am hankering to go out for a run again

Oh and I found my stopwatch

Darren
Old 15 September 2005, 09:00 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

new one last night. pyramid shuttle runs. 6 pairs of cones evenly spaced across the width of the pitch. Team split into two groups. first group goes to the first set of cones (nearest) and back. stops. next group goes. First group then goes to 2nd set of cones and back followed by the first set and back. next group goes. repeat this all the way up till you are doing 6,5,4,3,2,1.

Then to finish it was sprint to the far cones and back. next group goes. when they have done it's the 5th set of cones and back. next group goes. repeat until all the cones have been done.

I can feel my legs today!
Old 18 September 2005, 01:44 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Well just played my first game, I was exhausted. My legs were willing to run but the rest of my body said no!! Then we lost our goalie and ended up losing 3-1, (we were 1-0 up until then) as we were down to 10 men.

I really need to work on my short bursts, and my 2 new blisters

Darren
Old 18 September 2005, 07:36 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

I realise i'm a little bit late joining this one, but i'm in exactly the same boat except a few weeks ahead of you. Until about a month and a half ago i hadn't played any 11 a side for six years, although i had been playing 5 a side for a couple of years.

I found it hell the first full game i played, it was a fcukin hot day and i honestly thought i was gonna collapse with the heat and exhaustion. We've played 4 or 5 games since and it gets easier with every game, especially if you keep up the training. I don't do any of the fancy things the other guys are suggesting but a bit of excerise definitely takes the edge off it during and after the game.

I also decided to cut out the beer a little, drinking every night doesn't do fitness or body shape any good!
Right, with that said i'm off down the pub!! Well we did win 6-0
Old 19 September 2005, 08:10 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Cheers Robbie,

I was not happy at all with my performance. I was all over the place, frequently in the wrong place, marking the wrong person, not chasing back etc.

I hope it gets better

Darren
Old 19 September 2005, 12:44 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

I was (am still a bit) ****, it seems that even watchin football doesn't give you enough of the right idea of where you should be on the pitch at any given time. Playing as a striker i'm not sharp enough off the mark when a ball is played over the defence, i think if you play with the right bunch of lads they will give you the advice of where to be.
I'm hoping to improve a bit, have scored 2 in 3 games tho, so not a terrible start.
What position do you play?

Edited to say, i got bad blisters as well after playing sat and sun, hurt like ****!

Last edited by Robbie T; 19 September 2005 at 12:46 PM.